• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Poik's 1983 245 DL - The Ultimate Daily Driver (in my eyes)

did you happen to add poly bushings to the shocks yet? I'm rather curious, other than that looks like a solid fun build.

This is awesome. I'll be watching this thread. Are you going to the triple X meet next week?
I'm taking Friday off work so that I can get some stuff shipped off for a tbricker, and then will also have a chance to get my car ready for XXX. I hope that also means that I will have time to do the rear shock bushings. I need to get the black door panels installed and fix some random stuff. I'll also be washing the car for the first time since buying it! *gasp*

So I've come to realize that the perceived quality of a project thread is directly related to the quality of photos that get posted. I'll try to take pictures with a real camera instead of my cell phone from now on as long as I can help it.

Today I welded up some parts that I got from Nathan to start my ITB intake manifold for the new engine. The throttle bodies are from a 98 GSXR 750, and are 46mm. The thing that makes these throttle bodies sweet is that they are modular and are bolted together with aluminum spacers, so I just need to make some longer spacers and extend the linkage in order to match them up to the Volvo port spacing.

003.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

012.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

I was sort of productive today. Intended to get the ITB spacers all done but I ran into an issue of my feet being ****ing freezing. Anyways, I started taking apart the ITBs so that I could measure the stock spacers and see how long I had to make the new ones. The center to center distances between the throttle bodies as they come stock are 80mm-80mm-80mm. I got that info from some forum and had it committed to memory, but didn't realize until now that I never double checked to see if that was actually correct. Turns out it is, because after I made the first spacer the throttle bodies fit onto the 16v intake, but usually I don't miss a step like that.

Here is the spacer that I'm talking about:

002.JPG

I took the throttle bodies apart, and that spacer is exactly 20mm, with a 14mm OD. I asked Nathan what the center to center distances for the 16v intake ports were and he told me 4.125"-4.25"-4.125". Also didn't double check that, but I trust him more than an online forum so I was also in the clear there. That means the new spacers for the outside throttle bodies needed to be about 44.75mm in length. The ID of the spacers was 6.4mm, the bolt that goes through them is a 6mm bolt, so I found some standard drill that measured out at 6.3mm between the margins and used that. The spacers also have a 9.9mm locating thing on each end. Here's some pictures of the process:

036.JPG

039.JPG

And here's one finished spacer with the stock 20mm spacers in the background:

010.JPG

011.JPG

And then a couple test fit shots:

015.JPG

017.JPG

019.JPG

025.JPG

034.JPG

And then since I had been in the garage for an hour and a half wearing my 2 year old Sambas with really thin soles, my feet were cold soaked to the bone and I decided to stop. I need to get a foam mat for in front of the lathe, and wear warmer shoes next time.

should/would someone want to put a plenum around this for a turbo app?
Honestly I think it would be more trouble than it's worth. I've heard tuning cars with ITBs without a MAF just totally sucks, because anything over 5-10% throttle input and the vacuum will be 100kPa. I'm going to make a simple plenum out of a sheet of ABS plastic since I am going to use LH2.4 on this car, and then it will also look a little bit more OE than a fabricated sheetmetal intake.

How'd I miss this thread?

Great work Eric- looking forward to seeing it in person sometime!

M.

Honestly I think it would be more trouble than it's worth. I've heard tuning cars with ITBs without a MAF just totally sucks, because anything over 5-10% throttle input and the vacuum will be 100kPa. I'm going to make a simple plenum out of a sheet of ABS plastic since I am going to use LH2.4 on this car, and then it will also look a little bit more OE than a fabricated sheetmetal intake.

If the throttle bodies don't already have it prepare the manifold for a vacuum connection on each runner. Connect them to a small chamber/canister and run the MAP sensor from there.
Should give plenty of vacuum.

Also I guess you are going to brace the TB's? If not it could be wise to make a small ridge at the end of the runners to prevent the rubber couplers from sliding off.

Can't wait to see the result.. :-D

Back