• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

lh2.2 tuning or chips???

you can use the ostrich to play with both fuel and spark? Would you use ostrich to tune your fuel map, then switch it over to the ezk to tune spark as we have separate computers for each?

The Ostrich can do one thing at a time. I'd do fuel first, then ignition.

The Ostrich is 175$. http://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-the-new-breed-p-169.html?cPath=95

I can install MS if i want. But right now it is not worth the money for me. My car runs good and i can tune it when needed. I'd like to see how far i can get with LH too. Many of the ms installs i see are plagued by tuning/grounding/etc issues, staying with a system like LH that is already in the car can be a good idea for some people.

The Ostrich can do one thing at a time. I'd do fuel first, then ignition.

The Ostrich is 175$. http://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-the-new-breed-p-169.html?cPath=95

I can install MS if i want. But right now it is not worth the money for me. My car runs good and i can tune it when needed. I'd like to see how far i can get with LH too. Many of the ms installs i see are plagued by tuning/grounding/etc issues, staying with a system like LH that is already in the car can be a good idea for some people.

thanks man. I appreciate it. I know the guys who have the knowledge for this protect it with an iron fist.

so you are local.

I mean, I love lh2.4, it meets my requirements and it's easily chipped. the only reason I can think of why I would go MS is if parts for Lh2.4 dried up or my power goal was +300hp

Yes local. Im in mesa. I dont know TLAO's exact location but its not a big town so my car cant be more than five min from his place(I hear thats where thee good stuff is for 2.4) if lh2.4 can hold up 200-250 id do it and drive it that way for a while. Ive been loooking for another B23F and maybe a 16v. I'll want to build something ugly all at once and still drive what i have while building and collecting.

I agree MS can be cheap, but where I am at right now, I'd love to be able to just tinker on the stock lh. Learn to tune on something I can unplug, and plug another back in. Not rewire all my shiz and sit stumped. Like i said, I don't have anybody to help out with this sort of thing. Only knowledge I gain is on here. Sometimes I have to ask the seemingly noobish questions or I won't ever learn.

Thats why I gave the anecdote of my friend with the 2.4 16vt.

Yes local. Im in mesa. I dont know TLAO's exact location but its not a big town so my car cant be more than five min from his place(I hear thats where thee good stuff is for 2.4) if lh2.4 can hold up 200-250 id do it and drive it that way for a while. Ive been loooking for another B23F and maybe a 16v. I'll want to build something ugly all at once and still drive what i have while building and collecting.

that's pretty much my goal with lh2.4 b23f+t :)

I live off greenfield n university. Car's in aj. Can't have more vehicles than parking at the apartment.

It seems on ecuproject, many people are having issues using tunerpro. There are some other programs as mentioned here, but even those seem very un-userfriendly. Am I going to buy an emulator, and be able to tune? Or am I going to run into a wall of issues. This is where I think MS becomes more user friendly. Which is scary to say:lol:

It seems on ecuproject, many people are having issues using tunerpro. There are some other programs as mentioned here, but even those seem very un-userfriendly. Am I going to buy an emulator, and be able to tune? Or am I going to run into a wall of issues. This is where I think MS becomes more user friendly. Which is scary to say:lol:

I have used ipdown's program and TunerPro RT with no issues.

TunerPro throws a CEL occasionally because it does not update the checksum automagically like ipdown's program. I only really use TunerPro because I can define maps and tweak stuff that isn't visible in ipdown's program (because he isn't finished :-D).

If you get an Ostrich, install the drivers (FTDI serial port), and open ipdown's program, you are literally ready to start tuning fuel.

Tuning EZK/ignition should be similar, but you will have to use TunerPro RT. There are a few XDFs that look good so if you are itching to try it's easy.

I just swapped the air mass meter linerization table in my rom for the 012 AMM so hopefully I can just plug in the 012 and not have the funky ignition advance that everyone else has.... we'll see. Waiting on some tubing...

What exactly is the xdf? I see tunerpro's site has some. What makes one better or worse?

Either way I will get myself Ostich and give it a whirl. I think I am just thinking too far into it. Thanks for your help. Like I said, some people protect this info with their lives. I appreciate it.

An XDF is a definition file that makes it simpler to modify ECU ROMs/BIN files.

Basically, when you look at a BIN file in a raw (hex) editor, the file appears as a pile of numbers. Smart people (like ipdown, blabla, and others I am sure) who understand 8051 machine code start prying the file apart.

Generally ROMs have two different types of information: code and data. The code is typically left alone in most chips, as it usually is fairly well written for the application. The data is what we are interested in.

When you start prying a bin apart, you may find that at location X, a fuel table begins. TunerPro lets you create definitions (basically a slightly more complex bookmark) of sorts that indicates the location of anything you wish.

So we've found the fuel table. Instead of editing it by hand, manually, we tell TunerPro that the table is 16x16, starts at offset 0x38c1, and is 8-bit (0-255). TunerPro uses this information and makes a nice table that is easy to adjust.

Once you have defined a few tables, flags, or constants, you can save the definitions in an XDF file. Other folks can use the XDF file to easily adjust the defined parameters in similar ROMs.

The downside is that you can have extremely similar ROMs with data in different locations. For example, the software on most of the 9xx series LH 2.4 ECUs is interchangable, but the XDFs are not. For example, an XDF for a 962 won't work for 984.

Once you play with it for a bit, it will start to make more sense.

TL;DR: XDF files tell TunerPro where parameters are stored in memory, making changes easy.

Im seaching after tuning chip for my 740 87' with B230F, injection, M47 gearbox.
Does this chips fits my box's? I have LH2.2.. i think.

I don't know anything about LH2.2. First step would be finding out what you have, I guess. I guarantee you will make more progress than copy/pasting the same question repeatedly. :-P

An XDF is a definition file that makes it simpler to modify ECU ROMs/BIN files.

Basically, when you look at a BIN file in a raw (hex) editor, the file appears as a pile of numbers. Smart people (like ipdown, blabla, and others I am sure) who understand 8051 machine code start prying the file apart.

Generally ROMs have two different types of information: code and data. The code is typically left alone in most chips, as it usually is fairly well written for the application. The data is what we are interested in.

When you start prying a bin apart, you may find that at location X, a fuel table begins. TunerPro lets you create definitions (basically a slightly more complex bookmark) of sorts that indicates the location of anything you wish.

So we've found the fuel table. Instead of editing it by hand, manually, we tell TunerPro that the table is 16x16, starts at offset 0x38c1, and is 8-bit (0-255). TunerPro uses this information and makes a nice table that is easy to adjust.

Once you have defined a few tables, flags, or constants, you can save the definitions in an XDF file. Other folks can use the XDF file to easily adjust the defined parameters in similar ROMs.

The downside is that you can have extremely similar ROMs with data in different locations. For example, the software on most of the 9xx series LH 2.4 ECUs is interchangable, but the XDFs are not. For example, an XDF for a 962 won't work for 984.

Once you play with it for a bit, it will start to make more sense.

TL;DR: XDF files tell TunerPro where parameters are stored in memory, making changes easy.
I love you.:love:

I love you.:love:
I didn't really know anything about this at all either until a month or so ago. Get on ecuproject and start reading reading and reading. There's not tooooo much on there in the Volvo LH forum, but enough to get you started. From there I just downloaded the programs that I could and started messing around with bins and what not, comparing some that I already had for my car to see differences and such.

The one thing that you will also need, once you are done and satisfied with whatever you end up with using the Ostrich 2.0, is a way to burn that data on a new chip... So, you'll need to get a chip burner in addition to the Ostrich. That being said, there's this top option: http://www.moates.net/realtime-emulation-c-95.html the "APU1 Autoprom Package" that makes it sound like it can do both things. That being said, I don't know of anyone using one of those, nor if it'll communicate with ipdown's software(for the trace feature while driving) which is what I will be using once it comes out... That way, once you're happy with whatever your fuel mapping is(and idle speed/rev limiter for the ECU), you can burn that tune onto a chip and unplug the Ostrich then plug it into the EZK to start tuning spark.

I didn't really know anything about this at all either until a month or so ago. Get on ecuproject and start reading reading and reading. There's not tooooo much on there in the Volvo LH forum, but enough to get you started. From there I just downloaded the programs that I could and started messing around with bins and what not, comparing some that I already had for my car to see differences and such.

The one thing that you will also need, once you are done and satisfied with whatever you end up with using the Ostrich 2.0, is a way to burn that data on a new chip... So, you'll need to get a chip burner in addition to the Ostrich. That being said, there's this top option: http://www.moates.net/realtime-emulation-c-95.html the "APU1 Autoprom Package" that makes it sound like it can do both things. That being said, I don't know of anyone using one of those, nor if it'll communicate with ipdown's software(for the trace feature while driving) which is what I will be using once it comes out... That way, once you're happy with whatever your fuel mapping is(and idle speed/rev limiter for the ECU), you can burn that tune onto a chip and unplug the Ostrich then plug it into the EZK to start tuning spark.

I know a chip burner is needed. Do i need the emulator to view and edit the maps? I tried just downloading xdf and bins to fidle with tunerpro and nothing showed up.

Yeah, I'm not sure how tunerpro works quite yet. I think you need to open an xdf file before you can do anything with bins? Or something. As far as the emulator goes, no, you don't need one to view and edit the maps. An emulator just lets you run the car on it instead of burning a chip and then trying that. Then burning another chip and re-trying. Then repeating over and over until you find the right setup. The emulator will plug direction into the stock computer and you can tweak the maps from there, without having to burn a chip every time you adjust something.

Download ipdown's software and read about it a bit. The version available right now will not adjust your redline but it does give you control over your idle speed and main fueling map along with some other misc. stuff that I don't know what it is. At least you can raise your idle if you have a lumpy cam and you can adjust the target fuel maps. The downside is, you can't tell exactly where you are on that map because you can't trace it while you're driving around(unless you have an Ostrich 2.0).

Oh man this makes me excited. But i have one question.

Can this manipulate the stock tune enough to make it BOV compatible? My #1 reason for wanting to go ms was to solve my dieing problem.

Back