• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T5 Swapped 7/9 and Pro 5.0 Shifter questions

thelostartof

unbalanced chemical
300+ Club
Ok so lets just say that I am going to be picking up a T5 Swapped 7/9 Soon and I have a few basic questions.

I hear a lot of talk that the Pro 5.0 shifter is the way to go. Can this unit be swapped in fairly easily while in the car? Idea of time it takes to swap in car?

Also when doing this swap is there anything I need to do to relocate the shifter for better fit in a 7/9?

Thanks

If it's got a Ford t5 tailhousing it's kinda difficult to get to the shifter, but doable. I haven't done it, but a Camaro tail housing SHOULD put the shifter closer to the hole.

I'm doing the swap now on a 740, seems you need to relocate the fusebox and expand the hole for the shifter foward.
A funky shifter and you are set.
Also, look a this mother mount, pretty nice no?
Volvo_JVAB_606_crossmember_and_mount.JPG

Volvo__JVAB_606_crossmember.JPG

I have been looking at a few setups like that, I guess once I get the car back home I need to tear into it and figure out what is the best option for me.

Find the FS thread from OZ....guy will soon be selling/swapping the longer T5 Falcon housing (unique to OZ) for Mustang housings. Fidel was working on a supply chain of these a few years back. OP of the thread says he has done several himself, and shifter location is proper for the 7/9 without butchering the dash. You might get exactly what you need for shipping costs.....

I like the idea on this one......

I just don't know about that execution though....

I've seen this car pop up on Craigslist a number of times in the last coupe of years, also.

Personnally (for what it's worth) I think it's a little overkill.
Just hack up the hole for the shifter and move the fuse box foward.
Pretty simple.

the problem with that is the shifter ends up going into the console/radio/etc.. A real pro 5.0 might not be a bad thing, but the clones are garbage. I snagged a lightly used hurst off fleabay back in the day and it was pretty awesome.

that extension linked above would work ok, not sure how much atf you really get up there, but if it was a problem one could address it with some sorta boot.

You obviously haven't been into a 7/9 dash before....

Yes I did.
Just fixed the problem.
See how easy it is to move the fusebox now?
You just cut the little frame that holds the rubber thingy for the shifter, move it foward a little, weld, wel a plate where the gap is and you are set. Easy as pie.
aENEI85ecU.jpg

iJcLOkv2HZ.jpg

Okay, while keeping the stock dash in the car, moving the fusebox is not feasible.

I actually have one of the billet Hurst's in the 140 right now, really smooth, nice feel to it Mike. A bit cheaper than the Pro 5.0 as well. Found mine locally on CL for $75.

My buddy had a Steeda Tri-ax shifter. Personally, I liked that better than the Pro 5.0 shifters. I had the Pro 5.0 in my 940SE, with the goofy L-shaped extension....it was meh.

my .02

Back