• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo marine engines

[quote:4d1126f499]
B23 Penta with 86mm =AQ151 A,B & C model.
B230 Penta with 86mm =AQ171 A & C model.
[/quote:4d1126f499]

That's not quite how it works-

the b23 was never offered stroked,
and the Aq171 is 16v like a b234F.

An Aq 151 is a pretty trick piece of equipment- a stroked b230- but avoid the early ones, same as with the car b230's. That why there are two cranks in the SAM catalog.

the 3.0 is an OHV GM four descended from the Chevy II 153 cu of the sixties, and related to the Iron Duke 2.5 car engine. Totally non volvo.

The triple carb b30 was the Aq 165 with 3 strombergs and the 170 with three solexes. Never up to 200.

B18/20/30 motors are "redblocks" because they're painted with the same red paint. They're a different design to the later B21/23/230 though.

Those motors are direct descendants of the B18/20/30 though, cranks and sumps are interchangable apparently, oil pumps are almost identical, very similar lower block design. The alloy stiffening piece below the sump is identical, and starter motors are interchangable. I've got a 140 starter on my 242.

I know a guy who put a Penta triple carb manifold on a B30 with three SU's. He said it didn't make as much power as a D-Jet B30E (170HP) and that he mainly did it for the novelty factor.

I suppose with fancy carbs, agressive cam etc. you could get decent power out of them.

Snorko said:
There is a difference in the b230 before (#95082189) and after '88, (part #95082170) Available at S.A.M. and of course your nearest dealer(I'm not sure if these numbers are Volvo's or S.A.M's.

SAM Numbers!

(But Volvo at least in Sweden can find them through their computer...)

And for the B18/B20...

Take it a little bit easy, because Volvo did something to confuse everyone...

They started to name the engines in 400series cars (Have you got them in the US??) B18/B20. They're what you normaly refer to "Redblock" As the "B21/B23/B200/B230" type of engines.

The OLD B18/B20/B30 are OHV engines with pushrods and all iron.

A correction on my behalf;
The marine B23 is called AQ145, and I have not yet confirmed if was available stroked or not. (I'm trying to find one) But in older Volvo Penta catogues there is a mention of the 4 cyl series wich include:
B17/B18/B20/B21/B23/B25, yes! B25

I have seen some boat heads, and they look different than land heads. They have what looks to be a "rounder" CC and slightly bigger intake tract. They had K cams for the most part, so I wouldn't be surprised at a 2.3 making 145 HP if the marine head is indeed dirrerent. Anyone have any thoughts on this apect of marine motors, I know most are after the crank, and the rest of the parts aren't very well suited to land bound stuff, but I am just curious.

I have seen some boat heads, and they look different than land heads. They have what looks to be a "rounder" CC and slightly bigger intake tract. They had K cams for the most part, so I wouldn't be surprised at a 2.3 making 145 HP if the marine head is indeed dirrerent. Anyone have any thoughts on this apect of marine motors, I know most are after the crank, and the rest of the parts aren't very well suited to land bound stuff, but I am just curious.

[quote:8da462cb80]They have what looks to be a "rounder" CC and slightly bigger intake tract. They had K cams for the most part[/quote:8da462cb80]

That chamber/port configuration is what is referred to as the bigger type. It is a 405/531 type, not unique to boat motors, but might be unfamiliar to the US market.

My Aq151 head came with a V cam which is now for sale (120/160 with gear), and had a specific output of its 2490cc's equal to a 139 hp b230. The Aq145 was a regular b23 but with more compression than the later motors, and the K cam.

Doug- the model of #AQ151 should be all he needs. I seriously doubt you want to try to order a new crank ($)!- and it's the crank and pistons you need, not the block .... & remember- this is b230 stuff, none of which is compatible with your b21 short-block.
Look for a used motor core of post 89-manufacturing date.

Back