• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LH2.2 tuning

tkelly27

HI, my dad recently (this morning!) purchased a 1989 volvo 740 turbo to go with our 1983 240 : ) Its got the intercooler and from what I'm told it is a really nice grandpa driven car, most of the 100k miles are from being towed. So doing some reaserch I know it has the 2.3 turbo engine, and the ECU is the LH2.2. I'm not new to tuning EFI, or turbocharged vehicles, I've got a turbocharged plymouth voyager with all sorts of goodies including a custom calibration I made for it. The nice thing about the mopar cars is (for me anyways) 1, speed density, and 2, its got this nifty program called D-Cal which is a GUI manipulation of the binary calibration tables. Without d-cal I'd be totally screwed. Is there anything like that for the LH2.2? I know its MAF, but I'm assuming its the same concept x amount of pulsewidth for y amount of signal from the MAF and RPM. How else does one tune it? I'm not looking to make it a race car, just safely push a lb or two more boost and lean it out some while not in boost for mileage. Oh, I've got an eprom writer too if that helps. I searched, but could not find anything regarding this, so if theres a page detailing how to do any of that I'm not afraid of reading. Thanks for the help
-Tom

this is how i tuned my lh 2.2:

jettronic23ee.jpg

To tune LH2.2 you have to do some soldering, and you can?t tune it in real-time.

You can get a chip for the fuel side of it though, if you and two more on this board with LH2.2 signs up for the group-buy (I need at least 3 people signing up in the same group-buy to make it economically viable) . In conjunction with the chip you can advance the timing some by doing it manually (twisting the dizzy).

That or move on to Megasquirt.

If plan to get somewhat serious megasquirt is your best option IMO. If you just plan to push the boost up to 11-12lbs get a mbc.

PetesDustyVolvo said:
this is how i tuned my lh 2.2:

jettronic23ee.jpg

:rofl:

So only people who are after money have decompiled the Volvo calibrations? You guys need some computer geeks on here! If I knew anything about how to do it I'd be all over it

Oh well, he got almost 30mpg taking it home on the freeway and was lighting up the tires on the test ride I took with him, I don't think he needs anymore of either. If I was going to megasquirt anything, I'd do it to my '89 turbo horizon. Thanks for the advice and usefull tuning guide using gasoline and matches : )

tkelly27 said:
So only people who are after money have decompiled the Volvo calibrations? You guys need some computer geeks on here! If I knew anything about how to do it I'd be all over it
The problem with LH2.2 is not the software. It is the hardware. Neither the fuel ECU or the ignition ECU has got any socketed/removable chips. The EZ117K (ignition ECU) is also of a whole other design than the rest of the LH system ECU?s.

The software layout and fuel/spark tables are very similar to the LH2.4 so that is why I can offer a chip for the LH2.2 fuel ECU as well (if 3 or more signs up). Since all the components are soldered, nobody usually bothers...

How can you offer a chip if the software isn't removable/modifyable? If the chips just soldered to the board then thats not a big deal at all for me. The TD chips are soldered directly to the board and under 1/2 an inch of this gross potting compound stuff. Haha, sorry if these are dumb questions, I can't help it, I'm a complete newbie!

tkelly27 said:
How can you offer a chip if the software isn't removable/modifyable? If the chips just soldered to the board then thats not a big deal at all for me. The TD chips are soldered directly to the board and under 1/2 an inch of this gross potting compound stuff. Haha, sorry if these are dumb questions, I can't help it, I'm a complete newbie!
I offer chips (or chips + installation) for those who can?t or won?t un-solder or solder their ECU components.

ok, I've got the unsoldering, resoldering, chip burning, GUI table modification etc. down pretty well, has anyone made a user friendly binary editing program? Or even a stock cal binary with a breakdown of what it all does?

tkelly27 said:
ok, I've got the unsoldering, resoldering, chip burning, GUI table modification etc. down pretty well, has anyone made a user friendly binary editing program? Or even a stock cal binary with a breakdown of what it all does?
First of all, it is not as easy as you might think actually. But it is much easier to edit the LH2.2 since only two different ECU versions exist.

And yes, something like a nice programmer/interface is currently being developed by me and my crew. Only for the LH2.4 though... Unless you solder in a socket in your LH2.2 fuel ECU.

Is it more involved than desoldering and then resoldering? I just clip off the chip, snag the leftover pins and put in the sockett. Are there resistors or other components that need to be put in with the new chip? I don't need it to be in car modifyable, once the cal is set it won't be messed with. Like I said I've made the calibration for my van, I just could never decompile and figure out what the binary data means for a calibration without the GUI program. That would be way cool to check out whenever you get it up and running, would a great service and another option beyond just going to a stand alone, especially for people with strict emission laws!

Hey fred, this 2.2 chipping thing is news to me! I'm totally down for it now that my 242 is running (getting it insured today) and I'm going to need moar fuel with my T4/T3, NPR, 405, big cam, 3" turbo back, etc etc.

Where should I express my interest/post (besides this post!)? Which injectors should I use with it?

Back