• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Which broke first, piston or conrod? [B230F+T]

iframe>

You guys are right it's never too much boosts, my bad.

:oops:

With the 9mm rods once the engine is rotating there is a risk of rod failure. Bringing boost into teh equation just makes that risk much higher.

For what a set of rods cost it is daft to run any engine on there bent bits of wire

I have seen a number of NA B230's with 9mm rods have a rod let go and pop out through the block. A couple of these were driven by elderly drivers when treated them like a diesel and had them chugging away at low RPM all the time.

So bottom line with a 9mm rod engine is once its running there is a risk of rod failure.
I have also beaten on some of them and over 200,000 miles later they are still going

chucking a rod due to lack of maintenance has an entirely different look to it than bend tweak tingle snap

Oil changes have nothing to do with it

no,but in this case, the boosts did.

In my million+ miles I have under my belt driving ohv redblocks, I have yet to meet the koolaid man. I also have yet to do a college budget +T. coincidence?

You can blow **** up on any budget.

heh, it's sort of like having kids. It costs as much as you've got. You've got less? It costs less. You've got more? It costs more.

Some pics of the other half of the rod:
dLfAViw.jpg

ZMPoc9f.jpg

lxN1byY.jpg

15psi (or so) with ethanol could be a fair amount more power on a +t vs petrol/gasoline given it's not detonation limited. It had not been on a dyno to tune the ignition advance, so being over-advanced at that point on the map is a possibility.

no,but in this case, the boosts did.

In my million+ miles I have under my belt driving ohv redblocks, I have yet to meet the koolaid man. I also have yet to do a college budget +T. coincidence?

Family collective has to be over 3 million miles on OHC/OHV redblocks.
This problem is limited to the few years those 9mm bent bits of wire excuse for connecting rods that volvo used. You can do things to help reduce your risk of rod failure but there is always going to be a chance of the 9mm rods letting go. You dont need boost or high revs to make it happen on a correctly serviced engine

Break M rods or 13mm rods then you did something wrong

Some pics of the other half of the rod:
dLfAViw.jpg

ZMPoc9f.jpg

lxN1byY.jpg

15psi (or so) with ethanol could be a fair amount more power on a +t vs petrol/gasoline given it's not detonation limited. It had not been on a dyno to tune the ignition advance, so being over-advanced at that point on the map is a possibility.

the bearings will show signs of that, both rods and mains.

Back