• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

960 head or 850 clutch

moon161

I'm looking at a couple bricks as fixer uppers. One is a 97 850 spd, in need of a clutch, the other is a 92 960 auto, broken timing belt and based on no start after a belt put back on some bent valves.

I'm comfortable with mechanical work, asking price for each is about half of the $1000 or so I have to work with. I've got a few weekends to wrench before salt season starts in december/january.

What am I getting into to fix these issues with one or the other? The 850 has been sitting about 6 months and the 950 a couple years.

I've done clutch, suspension and HG work on my W123 and W201 diesel benzes, but I wasn't at that level 10 years ago when I had a volvo 245.

Well by the forum you are on you should only be considering the 960

If the head is badly mashed you should be able to pick up a spare one cheaply

Well by the forum you are on you should only be considering the 960

If the head is badly mashed you should be able to pick up a spare one cheaply

Fair. Is there much that'll be wrong from it sitting for a couple years? I haven't had to troubleshoot a gas engine for 10 years, and back then I wasn't right. Oil smelled a bit like gas if that's a sign.

Back