• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

DIY Oil catch can.

Jerd

It started off with a water bottle that i bought for $5 at target. :)

Alright so my dad use to be a plumber and i told him i wanted to use brass he told me he wanted to use copper, so i figured i would turn this into a father son project and we ended up using copper. :rofl:

So i had never sweated any pipes together so he showed me how. Its very easy.

Copper fittings $11
DSC01168.jpg

DSC01169.jpg

DSC01171.jpg

DSC01172.jpg

Drilled some holes in the down tube (input)
DSC01177.jpg

And drilled and hammered in a piece of 1/2" for the output.
DSC01179.jpg

DSC01180.jpg

After we got it all mocked up. And stuffed the inside lightly with steel wool we needed more tools.
DSC01181.jpg

An application stick covered with what appeared to be some sort of frozen diary product.
DSC01182.jpg

2 good friends of mine showed up to help.
DSC01183.jpg

Letting it dry.
DSC01185.jpg

I needed a bracket to hold it up so i recycled a piece of 3" exhaust tubing, an hold hose clamp, and welded together this little contraption.
DSC01186.jpg

DSC01188.jpg

The clamp now has paint on it and im waiting for the JB weld to dry then i want to sand and paint the catch can satin black. So stay tuned for updates.

nice man. im thinking of making one up for my 245, im still looking for a stainless steel box.

Ok, so I'm still a bit of a newb when it comes to turbo stuffs, so can anyone explain the need/benefit of a catch can? I've heard of them and seen a couple, but never got an explanation.
Thanks, and it looks pretty nice so far Jerd!
+1 for some neat DIY stuff that doesn't involve zip ties:-P

Ok, so I'm still a bit of a newb when it comes to turbo stuffs, so can anyone explain the need/benefit of a catch can? I've heard of them and seen a couple, but never got an explanation.
Thanks, and it looks pretty nice so far Jerd!
+1 for some neat DIY stuff that doesn't involve zip ties:-P

Sure, very simplified. There is a hose coming from your crankcase that draws oil vapors and other vapors that bypass the piston rings into your intake. The car then sucks these oil vapors up and burns them. Oil lowers octane ratings and generally subtracts from a good combustion.

The catch can cleans the air going back into your system so that it can run better/cleaner.

It was going to untill i found the hose clamp! :lol:

Good work.....I like it

haha, thanks dude!

So a quick bit of Google research tells me that the catch can collects the oil as byproduct from combustion therefore keeping it out of the turbocharger and intercooler which hel's the intercooler do its job. Sweet. My 240 will definitely get one once I swap my B230FT into it:oogle:

edit// how often do you have to clean out the catch can?

Depends on the condition of your oem pcv system and mileage of the engine. Its different for everyone. i am assuming that i will have to empty this about every 1,400 miles or so.

cleaning the catch can will be dependant on how worn the rings and such are. a catch can really helps you learn the condition of your engine quick. havent have to empty my gatorade bottle catchcan in 6 months in my daily.

my guess is... loosen clamp walk over to ocean and dump it on some dolphins and then re install doesnt sound hard to undo a clamp and hook two hoses back up?:lol:

Bingo! :lol:

Actually i might drill a small 1/4" hole on the bottom for a barb fitting and use it as a drain.

haha awesome man great job. dont even paint it

have you thought about putting some sort of wrap around the feed hose by the turbo/strut tower?

Back