• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 electric lock repair

BeaverMeat

My 1981 245 has the electric door lock/unlock feature when you use the key.

The rear passenger side door lock doesn't function 100%. The servo doesn't have enough power to lift the lock high enough to unlock the door.

New servo, or does it need some lube?

I replace them with Universals or good used if available. A 15 dollar remote lock kit makes it feel like a new car also, highly recommend!

Two major issues I've found. One, the wire in the door jamb gets worked back and forth so much most of the conductor strands are broken, so it can't carry the current needed to operate the actuator. Not as likely in a rear door for most folks.

Two, the rubber boot dries out and breaks allowing water into the actuator. Needs a good clean out and ideally, a new boot. Where do you get those? Got me. Maybe others know where to get new actuators. I still have a spare or two from when the yards were full of these things.

Like kyote, I also recommend keyless entry, because the wiring to the button and key switch falls apart, and because beep-beep. They are inexpensive and easy to add http://cleanflametrap.com/keyless3.html

lock5929.jpg

Two major issues I've found. One, the wire in the door jamb gets worked back and forth so much most of the conductor strands are broken, so it can't carry the current needed to operate the actuator. Not as likely in a rear door for most folks.

Two, the rubber boot dries out and breaks allowing water into the actuator. Needs a good clean out and ideally, a new boot. Where do you get those? Got me. Maybe others know where to get new actuators. I still have a spare or two from when the yards were full of these things.

Like kyote, I also recommend keyless entry, because the wiring to the button and key switch falls apart, and because beep-beep. They are inexpensive and easy to add http://cleanflametrap.com/keyless3.html

lock5929.jpg

That would make the wife happy, lol. She's upset it doesn't have keyless entry. lol

Take the disc out. Clean all contact points. If you are going out to update to keyless go the extra step and install a remote start.

Remote start is dangerous. I recommend against it.

I have been trained to pop the hood to disable remote start when working on a vehicle. There have been cases when a customer has started an engine with the app on their phone, or a spare transmitter, while somebody is working on the car.

Adapting a remote start to an old car is asking for trouble.

Looking into the remote conversion... my wife will like that. She’s been complaining about the lack of features. “It doesn’t have heated seats to keep my bum warm”... geez, we’re spoiled people. Back in my day people were happy to have a radio. lol

I recall the thread where a 240 Turbo (manual trans) started in its own and attempted to jettison itself thru the garage door!

He had left it in gear and the wiring harness shorted out and the starter engaged.

...Adapting a remote start to an old car is asking for trouble.

Not sure how remote start got into this thread, but I agree. Had it in my first personal 240; it was a convenience on those cold, cold mornings. Pocket started once. Just imagine if I'd parked it in the garage.

Hello all,

I'm having a door lock problem myself but I figured I just add to this thread instead of starting a new one so I don't rile anyone up. :lol:

Traditionally when I unlocked the driver's side front door of my '87 245 from the outside, the others doors would unlock as well. Same thing when I locked the driver's side door from the outside the other's would lock as well. Same thing when I locked and unlocked passenger side front door.

Now both the driver's side and passenger's side front doors are very difficult to lock/unlock from the outside. Surprised I haven't bent the key based on how difficult it is to turn the key/tumbler. Both doors.

I've done some research and found that this may mean bad lock and unlock relays. Every thread/article I read talked about this being a problem with power locks. Do I have power locks? I always figured when you have a fob and click a button that meant that you have power locks. I don't have a fob. Just a key I stick in the door.

Please provide your thoughts on this matter. I found lock and unlock relays available online but I also found the typical relay locations on a 240. I'd rather not tear apart my dashboard if my car doesn't even have relays so I'm hoping someone here may know.

Thank you very much!

Yes, you have power locks.

The lock relays have nothing to do with the issue as you describe it.

I know you are going to have a hard time believing this but your problem may be in the latch box on the door jam. No one ever services those things and they get to the point of breaking handles.

Take one off. It comes off and goes back on without issue. The Philips or Allen pair of bolts are best removed carefully with a quarter inch impact driver as they are both tight and corroded. Clean the mechanism up and leave it with a little lubricant somewhat thicker than oil.

If that doesn't fix it the next step is to remove the door card.

I like to use Wurth HHS Plus on those latches. It comes with a straw and will creep into the sliding inner plate if you spray it into the center of the latch on the outside.

Back