• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How to prevent headlight fading?

for preventative maintenance i'd say park in a garage or in the shade.. and make sure thatyou don't get water building up so that it can freeze on you and crack the lenses.. thats what kills tail lights up north..

It's not so much fading as it's oxidizing.

Some folks have said that after polishing out the yellow (oven cleaner works too, BTW), follow up with car wax. It kinda forms a sacrificial barrier, to slow down the process.

-- Kane ... y'know, like how waxing the rest of the car does the same thing too.

I've been told to try bleaching them to get the yellow out. Never tried it. Using some chrome polish on yellowing 240 headlights or 760 fog lights can get a lot of the haze and yellow out.

I have allways used 1500 wet sandpaper . I allways sand in one derection keeping the paper wet with a small spray bottle like you would color sanding till you have a dull looking light. Now polish it with regular clear coat polish. I little bit of wax cant hurt after your done. The whole deal takes maybe 45 min start to finsh with clean up. Now you can see again. If you get water inside i have used a small cloth on a peice of wire and go through the bulb opening to dry it out. If its got water you have problem. I have pryed them apart and resealed them....but i have also broken a light doing it. A hair dryer sometime lets the lense come off easer. O h and this only works on plastic not glass :-D

For water in the head lights you can just drill a little hole in the lowest point you can get at and the moisture will be able to escape.

Back