• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Advancing/retarding iPd gear and RSI N/A camshaft

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PAKaT4JinnE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fuel pump or check valve?? What pump are you running? Sounds like it's not getting fuel, but damn, that screeching isn't good. Belts tight, or is that coming from the head?

Definitely something else amiss for sure. Swap to stock injectors and FPR, make sure it starts normal on those. If not, get that fixed, set valve clearances, then go from there. Hell, even valve clearances first, see what happens.

I'm going to do valve clearances first when it stops raining. Old injectors and fpr are twenty miles away in storage.

Squealing is worse on video than in person. Putting my ear in the bay, it seems to be my PS pulley. I've got all the belts tensioned up.

Fuel pump or check valve?? What pump are you running? Sounds like it's not getting fuel, but damn, that screeching isn't good. Belts tight, or is that coming from the head?

Definitely something else amiss for sure. Swap to stock injectors and FPR, make sure it starts normal on those. If not, get that fixed, set valve clearances, then go from there. Hell, even valve clearances first, see what happens.

Main Fuel pump was just replaced less than 200 miles ago, with brand new Bosch unit that comes with check valve.

Definitely check clearances then but I would also find a way to check fuel pressure.

For the squealing, pour a little water on one belt at a time, see if one quiets down. Instant check for belt vs device issue.

Number one, first lobe closest to me. Accepts .012 but not .013

Second lobe accepts .012 and .013 barely fits.

Volvo says between .3-.4mm clearence which is .012(.305)-.016(.406mm)

Third cylinder I may have found my problem.

First lobe does not fit a .012 but a .010(.254mm)
Second lobe fits a .012

sorry no ones responding but your pretty much figuring it out for yourself..its not rocket surgery.

did you collect all those shims from junkyard cars? i need to get some because a couple of mine are way more off than yours and theres no junkyards around that contain any volvos

edit: did you pull the cam to change shims or just depress the buckets? i tried doing that but was unable to get them out... i thought about making one of the ipd shim removers or whatever they call it ( basically a coilover collar wrench) but havent gotten around to it.. just wondering how you did it.

sorry no ones responding but your pretty much figuring it out for yourself..its not rocket surgery.

did you collect all those shims from junkyard cars? i need to get some because a couple of mine are way more off than yours and theres no junkyards around that contain any volvos

Yeah, pretty much just posting for any other newb in my position.

But yup, all from the jy.

Edit: iPds tool to depress buckets. Using the ****ty pick set they sell ( ****ing stupid pick ends are interchangeable and never stay tight) but I'm getting it to work. Hardest to remove, so far, was the fourth cylinder last lobe.

Make sure buckets are like this with the notches

Leave one pick in notch after prying up one side, use other pick to do other side, work it out till it slides out and then you'll figure it out.

Last edited:
Question...what is the clearance spec for the CAM, not the engine? Trust me, go for around .016-.018" on that cam, should really help.

Also, what I do on any shimming, is do each one separate. Run the cam around until the lobe is straight up, set clearance, do the next one closest to being straight up, and just work thru them all. Never had an issue.

Question...what is the clearance spec for the CAM, not the engine? Trust me, go for around .016-.018" on that cam, should really help.

Also, what I do on any shimming, is do each one separate. Run the cam around until the lobe is straight up, set clearance, do the next one closest to being straight up, and just work thru them all. Never had an issue.

I do not know what the specs are for the cam. I could try and get ahold of someone at RSI...?
Wish I would of known that before I started and finished. I'll be doing it a third time tomorrow. Looks like the only thing I was able to accomplish was the squealing belts. My belts ended up all being loose. :/

Might have made it a tiny bit better, idk.

I'll set all the clearances to .016-.018 tomorrow. Here's a video↓not shown is the once in awhile it tries to fall on its face and picks back to again. I ended up messing with the distributor more after the video and then when i put into reverse it died.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P-1zFuQekng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Really testing myself now.

Also, could I have done something to cause my car to have grayish smoke coming from exhaust? Valve stem seals? Seems it's not the cold outside causing me to see exhaust fumes. I hate having to talk about my **** ups.

Back