• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Fog Lights Pre 1990 vs 1990+

2jmotorsports

Guise,

Are these fog lights:

1989_volvo_740_turbo-pic-5698701104217356780.jpeg

The same as these?

1.jpg

I am searching for a pair of fogs for my 91 745 and I want to make sure I get the right lights/brackets, etc.

If it makes a difference, my bumper is this style and does not currently have the sweet airdam:

8514542588_8a81e3f97f_o.jpg

It does however have little hole covers that you pop out when you install the fogs.

Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure your two top pics are of a US 89down, and a Euro 89down, with the same type of hood, fenders, bumper etc. These parts are not the same as a 90up. The special fogs for the later years are super rare, are not rectangular, are sort of a trapezoidal shape.
It may be that 'normal'fogs will sorta fit in the opening, but they won't look like they should I think. The airdam in the top pics will not fit the later car either.

I was thinking of mounting the rectangular types to mine by simply bolting the 'L' bracket to the bottom of the bumper along where it slowly curves down, or for a cleaner look, cut a slot in the bumper and put the top of the 'L'bracket up inside, this will also give a bit more ground clearance.

It does however have little hole covers that you pop out when you install the fogs.
Look again. I bet behind those covers (one of them, at least) is a tow loop.

This is what 90 and up fogs look like, in their little "fairings":

fogs-90-and-later.jpg

And here's the mounting holes on my gorgeous beast:

fogs-90-and-later-holes.jpg

Earlier models had a bracket that attached inside the bumper from the back, and reached under to the fog's position (You can also see the tow loop just inside the "cover"):

fog-1988-rear-left.jpg

Thanks for the clarification. I guess Ill have to come up with a different plan now but you have saved me buying a pair of lights that wont fit right off the bat.

So if the 90-up US fogs are super rare, how difficult is it to come by a 90-up US airdam?

Where can one get these fog lamps?

Look again. I bet behind those covers (one of them, at least) is a tow loop.

This is what 90 and up fogs look like, in their little "fairings":

fogs-90-and-later.jpg

And here's the mounting holes on my gorgeous beast:

fogs-90-and-later-holes.jpg

Earlier models had a bracket that attached inside the bumper from the back, and reached under to the fog's position (You can also see the tow loop just inside the "cover"):

fog-1988-rear-left.jpg

I like the way the pre-90' lights look, but to me the 90+ just look wrong...but I am the guy that made my 90 740 look like a wrx...lol So what do I know.
null_zps7ba495bf.jpg

Thank you, this thread helped me identify some fogs I just got off a wagon in the junk yard. I am hopeful I can find new lenses as they are pitted and cracked. Anybody have any suggestions?
Robert

Thank you, this thread helped me identify some fogs I just got off a wagon in the junk yard. I am hopeful I can find new lenses as they are pitted and cracked. Anybody have any suggestions?
Robert

Ipd sales the repair kits the for the pre-90' fogs. Comes with lens and plastic housing for around $50

here

The 90+ fogs are unobtanium other than fleabay. Lenses for them are even harder, since they are glued to the housing. Seen a few sets over the years for $200-400 though.

Probably the better plan. I found 2 sets in one yard trip a few years back. 1 on each car had been smashed...both the same side, so no chance of a complete set. One was smashed in the yard even. *******s.

Back