• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What do you call the diagnostic flywheel position sensor on a redblock?

jamesinc

WD-40 Enthusiast
I'm referring to part #26 below. It's mounted to the back of the block (so the sensor faces the flywheel/flexplate) on the exhaust side, and has a diagnostic connector attached to the valve cover.

I'm looking for information on the tool that you connect to it and how I might make such a tool.

Y4biw.jpg

Edit: for reference (and future Googlers) the part # is 1219678.

Last edited:
I'm referring to part #26 below. It's mounted to the back of the block (so the sensor faces the flywheel/flexplate) on the exhaust side, and has a diagnostic connector attached to the valve cover.
I'm looking for information on the tool that you connect to it and how I might make such a tool.
Edit: for reference (and future Googlers) the part # is 1219678.

that *SHOULD* be the CRANK ANGLE SENSOR that LH2.4 uses to determine the
position of the CRANK!...YIKES!!!...hmmmmm:oops::omg:

Yes, just to be ultra-clear, the sensor used by the computers is located at the top of the bellhousing and is connected to the wiring harness. The sensor I am referring to is connected at the side of the bellhousing (exhaust side) and has a wire that leads to a diagnostic socket that is mounted in a bracket, screwed onto the valve cover between intake manifold ports 3 and 4.

I even Googled around and found a pic of the diagnostic port:

VCBrL.jpg

The tool is called a Volvo mono-tester. One of the dealers I worked at had one, it looked like it had never been used. I have never had a legitimate reason to use one.

The sensor is just to monitor rpm as part of diagnostic tests.

The tool is called a Volvo mono-tester. One of the dealers I worked at had one, it looked like it had never been used. I have never had a legitimate reason to use one.

Thanks for the info! I found a pic of one as well:

aXgZi.jpg

that *SHOULD* be the CRANK ANGLE SENSOR that LH2.4 uses to determine the
position of the CRANK!...YIKES!!!...hmmmmm:oops::omg:

These are only on B21/B23/B230F before LH 2.4. it is a RPM sensor. If you have an engine diagnostic tool, you can easily use it for rpm measurement.

Looks like your motor already has a LH 2.4 crank angle sensor bracket and dish flywheel, so you can remove it and just plug the hole. I don't think the dish flywheel has the hole in it to use the rpm sensor anyway.

These are only on B21/B23/B230F before LH 2.4. it is a RPM sensor. If you have an engine diagnostic tool, you can easily use it for rpm measurement.

Looks like your motor already has a LH 2.4 crank angle sensor bracket and dish flywheel, so you can remove it and just plug the hole. I don't think the dish flywheel has the hole in it to use the rpm sensor anyway.

Engine is already back in the car, CBF. Also we did try to remove it at one point (I forget why), but it was stuck in there pretty good.

It's to check your ignition timing using a (probably exppensive) Volvo timing light/thingy.

You can do same thing with ordinary timing light too.

it actually got me "brain poppin' " so I looked a little more and found it described as
a *REFERENCE SIGNAL SENSOR*.....the part number ( 1219678 ) "jamesinc"
posted "rolls over / swops out / uprates / supercedes" to the same-o same-o
CPS used in the LH2.4 system.....

ah the vicissitude of the parts numbers game!! :lol:

the part number ( 1219678 ) "jamesinc"
posted "rolls over / swops out / uprates / supercedes" to the same-o same-o
CPS used in the LH2.4 system.....

I'm not sure what all that means, but those two items (the Mono-Tester pickup and the EZ116K-style crank position sensor) are completely different in form. The only thing they share is basic theory of operation, and then only if you consider the sender by itself. LH is a fuel system, if I can give voice to a pet peeve regarding correct nomenclature, my friend.:-D

I'm not sure what all that means, but those two items (the Mono-Tester pickup and the EZ116K-style crank position sensor) are completely different in form. The only thing they share is basic theory of operation, and then only if you consider the sender by itself. LH is a fuel system, if I can give voice to a pet peeve regarding correct nomenclature, my friend.:-D

I "chased that part number around" and found it "through the back door" of the
volvowebstore site...the number OP posted appeared on three different "images"
of assorted "systems" .. there were also a couple of OTHER numbers that appeared
in the "view" sections which I took to be similar / replacement / uprate numbers that
had "rolled into ONE"...hmmmm...
I don't have VADIS yet (someone BORROWED my last iteration CD and it appears to
be a permanent loan 'cause he's not replying to my entreaties for return...:wtf:)..I
hope to get a *new VADIS disc* soon...until then I'm strapped for $$$ and doing the
"work-around style" research on parts...
you are correctemundo on the nomenclature...sometimes I get lazy / frustrated w/all
the cross talk and bickering and I lose sight of the "real deal"!... I *do* know better
and apologize to the group for my mis-representation....:oops:

I don't have VADIS yet (someone BORROWED my last iteration CD and it appears to be a permanent loan 'cause he's not replying to my entreaties for return...:wtf:)

Sorry sir, it was rude of me to voice my anal pet peeve in public. I'll publicly commit to replacing your VADIS, if you can use it on 2005 DVD, in order to compensate for the bad karma. I don't think I've seen anyone as well referenced and willing to share sources as you have been here.

Sorry sir, it was rude of me to voice my anal pet peeve in public. I'll publicly commit to replacing your VADIS, if you can use it on 2005 DVD, in order to compensate for the bad karma. I don't think I've seen anyone as well referenced and willing to share sources as you have been here.

I think the same can be said about you Mr. Flametrap!! I always read your respectful, informative replys with interest.

I don't think I've seen anyone as well referenced and willing to share sources as you have been here.

Trust me, that is truly the understatement of the century. TrickMick knows his stuff , and is a great positive benefit to TB. Cleanflametrap, and a few others are too.

We need more like them.

Hey Man!...*NO WORRIES*..(I'm also "persickity" when it comes to nomenclature! :rofl:)
you're one of the "crew" whose input I enjoy and respect...there ARE some pretty
*BRIGHT GUYS* extant and it behooves each of us to attempt clarity / honesty / help-
fulness and the rest in our offerings of assistance...Lawd only knows the MANY TIMES
you've saved MY fat ass from a "stupid error" by your clear and concise descriptions / and
GREAT "visuals" over the years (even BEFORE I "quit lurking" and signed on to TBrix)...

I'll PM you later tonight!

and *THANKS* for being a "stand up guy"....makes the day somehow brighter! :oogle:

Back