• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW-71 slipping baddly

A failing AW trans can torture that way for sure. I drove one with a slipping reverse that would clunk, etc for 30k miles and it kept on making shavings of clutchpacks or who knows what
the entire time until I had enough and replaced it with another JY AW.

They are tough gearboxes for sure.

GUAM..."US Territory"...can you get this locally:
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=29&catid=2

2/3 of a bottle is all you need ..if it works you're golden..if not then you need to get
some PRESSURE TESTING DONE... (line and governor pressures)...
let me know and I can fwd correct URL for test procedures ... :nod:

Really hoping your recommendation of Lucas Oil Stop Slip works. I'm having the same problem with a slipping transmission and first and third revving too high.

IMHO it's snake oil. The trans is tired. Rebuild it yourself or have it rebuilt. Kenny has an excellent article here.

While rebulding, perform the accumulator mod to help save those clutches.

Last edited:
Really hoping your recommendation of Lucas Oil Stop Slip works. I'm having the same problem with a slipping transmission and first and third revving too high.

go back and read ALL OF THE POSTS....the bits about LINE PRESSURE TESTS
/kick down cable adjustments/ correct fluid levels set via OWNERS MANUAL
procedure...etc.....

and its' *Lucas TRANSFIX*...(I don't use or recommend many "chemicals" due to the
closely held beliefs of many folks)...just not worth thrashing "snake oil smack downs"....
I prefer Justice Brothers product 80 as a penetrant / rust buster / squeak chaser -
others swear by PB blaster...I happen to choose Castle ENDURA as a wet flowing-
vehicle shedding GREASE...other swear by white lithium or outboard drive grease....

anyhoo...get the REAL LUCAS STUFF...it *does* work (if there was ever a hope for the
trans - the Lucas SNAKE OIL will work,,,,,)
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=29&catid=2

for the cost of the ATF and the Lucas...you get fresh fluid and a boost....I never spend
more than $45 USFRN or so for a case of cheap DEX III and $13 USFRN on the LUCAS...

just works for me for DECADES now....and *yes* I have had SMOKED ZF's that ended
up w/TOAST inside that Lucas WOULDN'T TOUCH...so there ARE limitations on the
chemical route" as well....just sayin....

I'll post again... apparently I posted in this thread a year ago... my lucas transfix tranny is still going strong... although I really do hope to swap it soon to my much younger/lower millage one with the accumulator mod within the next month or so...

Well perseverance pays off. After pulling the oil pan today I found very little gunk in the suction strainer. It looks like by changing the suction filter frequently I was able to get out most of the crud. The intermittent slow first shift persists but it drives/ shifts great otherwise.

Update: 3 months latter and the suction strainer has been good and clean on multiple inspections. Upon initial start up (I always let it war up for a few minutes) I have to manually shift into 2nd to get the car to shift but from then on it will shift as well as any AW70/1 I've ever seen. Buying a used to valve body to rebuild and place in my trans but it looks like I'm winning this battle.

Last edited:
Not a lot of long term threads on this sort of thing so I figured I'd update this one. Several things have happened since I first posted this. The big change has been that my 850 was totaled after a flat bed truck hit me and the 940 has been my DD for several months now.

For the past few weeks the hard initial shift has nearly disapeared. The last time I dropped the pan (2K ago) the suction strainer was good and clean so looks like I simply had some type of gunky deposit in my transmission from neglect, moisture, use of motor oil as trans fluid or whatever else it was. I do know my car was garaged for nearly a decade before I bought it.

Not a lot of long term threads on this sort of thing so I figured I'd update this one. Several things have happened since I first posted this. The big change has been that my 850 was totaled after a flat bed truck hit me and the 940 has been my DD for several months now.

For the past few weeks the hard initial shift has nearly disapeared. The last time I dropped the pan (2K ago) the suction strainer was good and clean so looks like I simply had some type of gunky deposit in my transmission from neglect, moisture, use of motor oil as trans fluid or whatever else it was. I do know my car was garaged for nearly a decade before I bought it.

persistence will out in the end....GOOD SHOW!!

sorry 'bout the 850..you OK??

persistence will out in the end....GOOD SHOW!!

sorry 'bout the 850..you OK??

'Miss you allready Mick.

Edit: July 2014

Well when it rains it poors. Two days after crashing my 740 my 940 quite going in revererse. I had thought I was winning the battle by changing the filter but there was a lot more gunk in the transmission then I realized. Having since dissassebbled the transmission I found that the light rubbery deposits were gunk that had collected en-mass inside the valve body. The 940 drives just fine now but with the aw-71 salvaged from my 740. I think I'll be addding filter to all my automatics from now on.

Last edited:
Back