• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Scratch on resurfaced head

tomasss

former PRVert
So...I've just noticed that there is a tiny scratch on my resurfaced head, unfortunately right where the headgasket seals the cylinder...I don't know when it happened, probably when I was lapping and putting in the valves...

What I am looking at? Head resurface again? It feels really tiny, I can't feel it with my finger but my nail catches on it.

IEanTR2h.jpg

If your nail catches it, that's an avenue for failure, you could try to fill with liquid graphite, or use spray paint like Toyotas use, or you could run it as is, the tin ring around the cylinder may form to it. I'll note that this area around the exhaust valves is a common gasket failure point. Maybe your machine shop will do a .001 fly for free for the nick? How much did the cut off, did you calculate your CR?

The location and orientation are not great, but I doubt it’ll give you any trouble.
I’d just use a sanding block and some 400grit sandpaper to blend the scratch in.

...you could try to fill with liquid graphite, or use spray paint like Toyotas use
Any links for these products? I tried to look for it but I am finding only the gasket sealers that are supposed to be mixed with coolant when there is already a leak.

The location and orientation are not great, but I doubt it?ll give you any trouble.
I?d just use a sanding block and some 400grit sandpaper to blend the scratch in.
Thanks...I tried that, this is how it looks afterwards. My nail barely catches on it now. Should I give it a shot or I am asking for trouble, especially with the upped boost?

ckWQJobh.jpg

IMXaBZMh.jpg

Can you take it by the machine shop that originally machined it and ask them?
I wouldn't worry about it personally, but I have no idea how bad it actually it.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I bet your Machinist will brush it off and tell you to run it as it is. Never hurts to ask if you're unsure.

Back