• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

will a b21 pressure plate fit a b20 flywheel??

jiminy14

i can get a centreforce for a good price. but i have a 1974 b20f. i have to retain the b20 clutch disc as the splines are different, but will the pressure plate bolt up ok???

thanks
james

I can't answer this definitively, but can offer this: The early 240's with B21F and M46 used the same clutch kit as the B20/B18 with M40/M41 (and M46 in '75). They went to the higher spine count in the late 70's. So, I would assume that the pressure plate would work fine.

HTH,
Eric

thanks; the centre force is listed for 78 and up cars, when they changed the splines. hmmm ok i
don't want to order this and then have to pay for restocking.
anyone?? :e-shrug: :???:

But, as you said, the pressure plate doesn't have splines. So, perhaps you could compare flywheels from a pre-78 and 78-on, as that's what it bolts to? If they're the same, it should bolt up.

Still not a real answer, but more food for thought.

Eric

I just called my buddy that owns an independent shop. He said the Sachs kits for the early vs. 78+ 240 have the same pressure plate, and different clutches.

Eric

Centerforce will make a clutch set with the coarse early spline. Order the Dual friction, for the extra 15-20% it is a much nicer piece, using Centerforce's proprietary materials on the disc. IMO, the materials are far more imporrtant than the gimic of the weights.

Alternatively, use a Volvo 240T (pre stepped flywheel) pressure plate for more holding. It's fine behind my very torquey 2392cc b20. The early m40, on the other hand.... :???:

[quote:691643bb41]Alternatively, use a Volvo 240T (pre stepped flywheel) pressure plate for more holding. [/quote:691643bb41]
so the 240T pressure plate will have more holding than the stock clutch right?? is the course spline from centerforce a special order item?/????

[quote:691643bb41]I just called my buddy that owns an independent shop. He said the Sachs kits for the early vs. 78+ 240 have the same pressure plate, and different clutches.
[/quote:691643bb41]
so this means i am good to go with a 78+ clutch on my b20 flywheel. that is great. now i must ask... will the 240 flywheels bolt to the 8 bolt b20 crank?? is it the same diameter, ring gear??? etc. is there any reason i would try that??? what do you mean by "stepped flywheel"?
thanks guys. i am really excited to have a clutch that holds out of second, and third gear!!! :rofl: i am not implying my car is powerful, but rather that my clutch is dead and on its way out. next i will have to worry about the overdrive slipping. :-)

james

ok i am going to get this shop to call centerforce. is the coarse spline for the m41 a stock item. as in , will they know what i am talking about or do i have to give them specs as to the number of splines etc. ???? the price is $473 canadian. which i think is a good price for the dual friction. any whooo thanks again guys
james

[quote:90a35cb411]will the 240 flywheels bolt to the 8 bolt b20 crank?? is it the same diameter, ring gear??? etc. is there any reason i would try that??? what do you mean by "stepped flywheel"?
[/quote:90a35cb411]

The 8-bolt flywheel was unique to the '74 and '75 B20 (IIRC). Most had a 6-bolt flywheel (my '73 does). AFAIK, this flywheel was used from '74 on through the K-jet/M46 era.

Eric

Eric; thanks for the info.
is there anyway you could send me your mega squirt enrichment values. i am mega squirting my 1800 within the month and it would be very helpful.
thanks
james

Back