• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Canadian 1984 244 DL B21A/B6304 project log.

Why do you need an actual input for timing? I'd just let the sensor hang out in the engine bay and flatten out any ECT spark correction curves

I was playing with the Solex 44PA1 carbs that came with the AQ171C and noticed that the throttle blade throat separates completely from the fuelly parts...leaving a nice little throttle body. Trying out a dual TB setup is now a possibility, lol. I'd need to weld some injector bungs to the carb manifold...but it would work just fine.

MykmUoCH_o.png

Some F11 emulsion tubes should show up on monday, which MIGHT be exactly what I need. I've got F15s and F16s, and the 11s are identical to the 15s but have a few extra drillings at just the right spot that might lean out my 100kph cruise to proper levels. The 2.5 benefitted from a 60F8 idle jet, and is an acceptable AFR at 80kph, but it gets a bit too expensive (rich) at 100 since the mains are kicking in.

Last edited:
Ugh. The F11s didn't work. It cruises fine at 80kph (smaller hwys, etc) but is in the 12s-13s at 100kph (larger hwys). I live in a rural area so use the large hwy for at least half of my drive into the city so this isn't really sustainable if gas is at $2/L right now (~$8 CAD/gal).

I'm pretty close to having all the parts I need to do the LS swap so I am wondering if I should even pursue the 'perfect' DCOE tune anymore. It starts easy, runs well, makes all the right giggle-inducing noises, but is rich at 100kph. I'm going to make a set of 220 airs for the main stack to see if that helps at all, but I might just try to live with 'good enough' for the rest of the summer.

Well damn. I accidentally made some 230s and decided to try them anyway.

It worked! I went for a drive and was getting much leaner AFRs at 100kph, which is kick ass. Of course, it started to pour rain while I was out and it was then I discovered the wipers didn't work anymore. Adding a ground strap made them function again, but it's a motor from 1984 so I think I'm going to swap in the 93 I have on the shelf. I'll be adding the ground strap to that one too.

I'm unwilling to settle for 'semi-decent enough' when it comes to the cruise tuning...which sucks. I've spent quite the small fortune on calibrated parts, but I think it's getting better. I'm getting stoich-ish at 80kph but 12-13 at 100kph (60mph) and I just can't stand that. I've got some 5.0 aux vents arriving on monday, which, according to any of the books I can find that touch on aux vent tuning, is the proper size for 500cc+ cylinders and HOPEFULLY delays the mains a wee bit. Failing that, I guess I'm going to have to try upsizing the chokes.

If my LS swap mounts ever show up (**** you, Canada Customs), I may just pull everything and sell it to the first person who shows up with a case of Red Bull and some nice steaks for the BBQ. I can't keep spending :(.

I may just pull everything and sell it to the first person who shows up with a case of Red Bull and some nice steaks for the BBQ. I can't keep spending :(.
Still cheaper than purchasing a newer/different fun "toy". Especially in the current market.
:nod:
Keep at it, you'll get it right soon enough!

ITBs wouldn't be toooooo much effort to install at this point :)
Honestly, if these replacement aux vents don't work...ITBs are happening. The engine itself is the most leak/smoke-free redblock I've ever had, and the intake noise, even at cruise, is addictive. I'm an IAT sensor and 4 injector wires away from having a complete MS2 install so it would take no time at all. I still have the in-tank pump I was using for the whiteblock swap, so it'd be an afternoon's work.

Still cheaper than purchasing a newer/different fun "toy". Especially in the current market.
:nod:
Keep at it, you'll get it right soon enough!
I'm really hoping the new aux vents work out 'well enough', but I won't know until they arrive on monday. I really like carburetors, or...well...I like the IDEA of carbs, I guess. I've never had to spend so much on jets/parts before, so it's kinda killing my affection for the set of dual calibrated fuel leaks on my engine currently, haha.

Got bored, found a little motivation to put the LS on a mobile cradle and start cleaning it up. The knock sensors were both completely rusted into dust, so I guess I'll need to address that. The rear main is weepy, so it's getting changed out eventually too.

tHjltFgd_o.jpeg

Got the 5.0 aux vents...and things are...better? The original aux vents are supposedly 4.5, or that's what I assume, but they are quite a bit smaller than the 5.0 so I think they might actually be 3.5s. The cruise AFRs are acceptable but I had a moment of clarity while driving and I think it's all because of the PZ cams. I have never had such a hard time trying to find a good balance point between power and economy when tuning DCOEs, but I realized I've never had anything other than setups with mild stock cams. I believe there is quite a bit of overlap on these penta cams, and that's what's causing my frustrations. It's got GREAT acceleration and WOT power, but I genuinely don't think I can achieve the cruise AFRs I want without going to EFI.

I might invest in some adjustable cam gears if I can find some that won't break the bank.

Put in a (possibly un-needed) replacement 'upgraded' oil control barbell. It was cheap, and was a nice snug fit.
nWNvNJep_o.jpg

l2qSxP4t_o.jpg

I'm replacing the rear main seal...and it baffles my mind that GM didn't put any dowel pins to align the cover and there's a special tool to do the alignment of the cover before the seal goes in. I have no interest in putting this thing in the car more than once, but I didn't want to take the chance it seeped at all due to my inexperience with this engine. I REALLY didn't want to buy a 'use-once' tool for $120 USD so I 3D printed it. Works like a charm :).

ST217tEw_o.jpg

Rear cover gasket and crank seal, done. New valley gaskets, done. Hopefully I'll be able to round up some knock sensors this weekend (and the brittle little harness that connects them to the main harness). My STS mounts finally arrived, no thanks to Canada Customs, who had been holding on to them since June 28th. Now all I need to round up is a clutch disc, pressure plate, hydraulic TOB, and POSSIBLY some of the chinese Hooker Block Hugger clones...depending on how I decide to do the exhaust. It's already got a clone Holley swap pan, so no worries about that.

I'll be taking the carbies on a 4 hour road trip this weekend too. Should be interesting to record the fuel economy, given where I stopped the tuning, lol. I don't have any plans to do the LS swap before fall/winter, so I've got to get enjoyin' the 2.5 16v while I can.

Back