• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'70 Volvo 145 Front Vent Window Latch

Mint2Me

This is my first early Volvo and therefore unfamiliar with things that may seem inconsequential to some who have been at it awhile. I am bringing back to life this 145 wagon and making some progress with help from this forum. I am getting into the weeds here but my vent windows have no latches.

A few people answered my original question and suggested that I replace the entire glass or buy those generic anti-theft clips. I went on the Skandix site and they do sell latches but they look like they get screwed through the glass. My windows don't have any holes so I assume the original latches are glued on. I didn't see that kind of latch on the Skandix site. Any thoughts?

Happy New Year!

egg_Vent-Window-DS_o-e1577924677509.jpg

Vent-Window.png

I've had some luck with the "glue your rear view mirror on" kits from Permetex, they all fell of sooner rather than later unfortunately.

https://www.amazon.ca/Loctite-34931-Impruv-Adhesive-Bottle/dp/B005TPGT4M

This is supposed to be the correct glue that Volvo used but I've read that they used a strong UV lamp to cure them.

I eventually found one in the junk yard that was still attached and installed that whole window in my 140.

Hello,

The only part of the latch that is glued to the vent window is the metal mounting stud and it was never sold separately.

FYI, there are 2 styles of vent windows, mounting studs and handles and I'm pretty sure the style of handle pictured above from Skandix is the later version and probably won't fit your car.

I've never tried, but you might be able to update to the later vent windows and handles. New later vent windows are still available. I know because I just bought a set for 1 of my customers. However, the only ones available are the later tinted version.

I'm pretty sure the style of handle pictured above from Skandix is the later version and probably won't fit your car.

What is it about the pictured version (looks like they're listing it as "pre 1972") that makes it probably not fit? It looks like thy're listing it as a "bis 1972" which I think is "pre 1972".

I'm not sure of the difference between the OP's 1970 vent window and a 1972 vent window.

Maybe it's just the "elegant" (skinny) style that RWC mentioned?
RWC's reference is definitely different.

What is it about the pictured version (looks like they're listing it as "pre 1972") that makes it probably not fit? It looks like thy're listing it as a "bis 1972" which I think is "pre 1972".

I'm not sure of the difference between the OP's 1970 vent window and a 1972 vent window.

There is no difference by 70 the glass is all tinted and drilled for the lower pivot.

The 'difference' is in the latch / lock style see my previous post.

70 was the last year of the skinnier more elegant window latches.

The Skandix link shows 71+.

Maybe it's just the "elegant" (skinny) style that RWC mentioned?
RWC's reference is definitely different.

A picture is worth a thousand words, for those with short memories, or who are unfamiliar with 140's.

00r0r_bWwPyYFcuyN_1200x900.jpg

Hello,

The only part of the latch that is glued to the vent window is the metal mounting stud and it was never sold separately.

:nod:

Always glued.

FYI, there are 2 styles of vent windows, mounting studs and handles and I'm pretty sure the style of handle pictured above from Skandix is the later version and probably won't fit your car.

:nono:

Early is non tinted and not drilled for the lower pivot, but there's also non tinted early that is drilled for the lower pivot, late is always tinted and drilled, so that's technically 3 types, although the shape of the glass is the same so you can mix and match as long as you're not 'showing' at Pebble beach.

:-P

I've never tried, but you might be able to update to the later vent windows and handles. New later vent windows are still available. I know because I just bought a set for 1 of my customers. However, the only ones available are the later tinted version.

:nod:

See above.

Last edited:
Wow, sorry my post got taken the wrong way.

Was only trying to get clarification since my '70 has the same latches (not skinny) as my '72s. And I have no reason to think that they're not stock.

Wow, sorry my post got taken the wrong way.

Was only trying to get clarification since my '70 has the same latches (not skinny) as my '72s. And I have no reason to think that they're not stock.

Hmmm could have been a rolling change in 70 or swapped before you got the car?

My 70 145 had the skinny ones.

Hmmm could have been a rolling change in 70 or swapped before you got the car? My 70 145 had the skinny ones.

I've only had it since 1999, so who knows what could have happened before.
Maybe yours were changed. :cameron:

:cheers:

Can't remember my build date, but I know it's on the tag. Maybe look tomorrow.

The chassis number will determine which handles it should have. It should be on a tag on the right inner fender.

Beating this to death...

The parts catalog shows that the vent window handle changed in the middle of the '70 model year.

The chassis number will determine which handles it should have.

I'd guess that my '70 145 would be considered late production.
March 1970 - Chassis # 50461.

That would then makes sense that my '70 145 had the un-glamorous "chubby" latches.
;-)

Attachments

• Vent widow latch 01a.JPG
    Vent widow latch 01a.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 42
I've had some luck with the "glue your rear view mirror on" kits from Permetex, they all fell of sooner rather than later unfortunately.

https://www.amazon.ca/Loctite-34931-Impruv-Adhesive-Bottle/dp/B005TPGT4M

This is supposed to be the correct glue that Volvo used but I've read that they used a strong UV lamp to cure them.

I eventually found one in the junk yard that was still attached and installed that whole window in my 140.

OK, I'm really curious as to how you were able to figure out that this is the glue Volvo used. I don't doubt that it is, since somehow I got lucky and used this glue about 5 years ago to reattach the latches on my '72 164E, which I daily drive and they are still attached! I only used to sun to cure the glue.

Either way, Loctite 34931 is definitely the glue to use for doing this!

For those wanting to confirm, my early '71 142 has chubby latches.
Mirror glue is holding strong on pass and driver upper pivot and driver's latch. The passenger fell off after 4 days- it was also our (yes, my brother and I both squeezed hard to do it) first pass. I'm wondering if some kind of abrasive on the area of the glass would help to improve adhesion.

Back