• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bilstein yellows (240 rear) don't fit

adamdrives

I recently acquired some yellow Billys as part of a barter deal. According to FCP they are compatible with my 78 242. Cool. Came off my buddies lowered 83. Marked F4-B46-0296-H1.

Today I went to install them, and they are considerably shorter than the KYB gas-a-justs that are on now. I tried jacking the rear axle up so that the trailing arms will meet the bottom of the shock, but I started to lift the car off the hoist before the bolt holes lined up. Now that I think of it, I didn't notice if it was the rear axle bottoming out against the bump stops, or just binding the springs enough to lift the car. End of a long day and I thought I could just bang it out.

Can you fit yellows without modification/lowering springs? Am I being a stupid?

Thanks

If the shock is that short, it might/will bottom out on rebound. Or they might even compress the springs and lower the car just because they are so short. Needs shorter springs.

Oops, reading comprehension fail. Those are listed as 100 series cars. Yep, get 240 ones!

The part number is for a 140. Whether those have less suspension travel than 240s I don't know, but if they are too short you are SOL unless you chop your bump stops and lower the car a bunch.

Key words are that these came off a lowered car. That means someone probably bought shorter than stock shocks to use on that lowered car. You need stock length shocks or as suggested above you have to lower your car with shorter springs.

Last edited:
The part number is for a 140. Whether those have less suspension travel than 240s I don't know, but if they are too short you are SOL unless you chop your bump stops and lower the car a bunch.

140 Bilsteins have a smaller lower eyelet and haven't been available for ~25+ years.

For a while they included a thin spacer tube with 240 shocks, but it's been a good 15 years since they've done that.

Last edited:
^ This, blown shocks from a lowered hooptie?

Muchachito, mio, I think lowering cars for a stupid worn out cosmetic fad is stupider than fawk and people that want to do it little consumeriod fan-boi wannabe Honja types...

But can you explain how--what mechanically happens inside shocks they supposedly "blows" them because they're compressed 2 more inches at static unladen height when somebody "lowers" their car, versus that the same shock installed stock stock stock everything and the shock is compressed at static unladen height 2 less inches??

20 years I've been hearing this, and asking what is it that "kills" shocks when used with cut springs.

Zero answers ever attempted.
I am disappoint.

But you say they're too short?

& the part number checks out, something's not adding up here.

XDX4gP0l.jpg

Back