• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Electric Fan Conversion

What stuff did you use? If it's the fire rated stuff, it's a safe bet that it won't come off, but the other **** gets brittle the older it gets

Not a bad job. But if you don't want to end up on redneck.com or the CMT channel. Then do this:

Get a can of Black spray paint for about a buck and get a box cutter from the dollar tree in the 3 pack with the extendable blades.

Trim of the stuff so it looks flush.

Then paint it over.

100% cosmetic. And will look like it was stock.

If you never plan on showing of your ride. Don't worry about it. Call it a day and be happy.

About how you wire in your fan. Try to use the audi temp switch. If you can't. Then go with another way of making automatic unless you plan to be the only one driving the car. And have a good memory to turn it off when the car is off. Or make the really only function when the car is on the ACC/on position. That will prevent a dead battery.

If you ask me Killer job man. The heat should not bother the foam. And it should last for many years.

Not a bad job. But if you don't want to end up on redneck.com or the CMT channel. Then do this:

Get a can of Black spray paint for about a buck and get a box cutter from the dollar tree in the 3 pack with the extendable blades.

Then paint it over.

If you never plan on showing of your ride. Don't worry about it. Call it a day and be happy.

About how you wire in your fan. Try to use the audi temp switch. If you can't. Then go with another way of making automatic unless you plan to be the only one driving the car. And have a good memory to turn it off when the car is off. Or make the really only function when the car is on the ACC/on position. That will prevent a dead battery.

If you ask me Killer job man. The heat should not bother the foam. And it should last for many years.

I'll try it, Has anyone used a 2 speed switch before in place of the single speed?

I have the Nissens that uses the screw in type, only thing is that I couldn't find another one with a screw in switch.

Like this one:

823959481F.jpg

Which I have this one to put in

%24(KGrHqUOKiEE30O70qqIBOBj8(kQG!~~_35.JPG

I know that low speed was meant for A/C and whatever but I still want to do it this way, it should keep my engine bay at a more constant temp while not drawing a ton of power at one time.

For a thermostat, are you guys running a radiator probe or a thread in type thermostat? Which one did you use and where did you put it at? My fan is going into an '85 NA 240. I also pulled a fan off of a 95 Buick Century, so I'll need to hurry and get this done to see if I need to exchange the fan in case it doesn't fit.

Then paint it over.

My old e-fan used a wire to the ign coil for the positive side of the relay. Turn car off, relay turns off. Only problem was that the relays I used were old JY relays and mounted in such a way that after about 2-3 months, the relays would stick on and you'd have to bang on the hood...

I've since switched to a proper Volvo e-fan setup from a 940.

For a thermostat, are you guys running a radiator probe or a thread in type thermostat? Which one did you use and where did you put it at? My fan is going into an '85 NA 240. I also pulled a fan off of a 95 Buick Century, so I'll need to hurry and get this done to see if I need to exchange the fan in case it doesn't fit.

I'm running mine in a Saab T-fitting in the upper hose but I'm also dumb. Run it in the lower hose, trust me.

Bret runs a radiator thread-in thermostat and it works well for him. I like my T-fitting, even though it would be better suited in another spot; the engine temperature never goes more than halfway up the gauge, and with the air-dam pickup scoop thing, the fan never even kicks on when I'm on the highway. Only when I'm stationary, and that's when you want it anyways.

It is the opposite. Not any of the 700/900/850 cars have the high speed set up to cool the engine under normal conditions, only for excessive over temp conditions.

Low speed for normal engine cooling from the temp switch (or CTS thru the ECU) and high speed from the a/c pressure switch and/or over/excessive temp sensor in the radiator (wired in parallel)

Having the high speed cycle for normal cooling will run large spikes of current going on/off all the time. The 2-stage power control fan relay is designed to reduce start current going from low to high, not from not on to hi speed. It will wreak havoc on your charging system if you wire it this way, as will not using switched power to the relay so the fan has run-on when the car is off.

My car doesn't switch the fan off (positive side is wired to the batt, but I'm also using the Volvo 2-speed which switches the ground side) and it's okay on the battery, havent had an issue like that in almost a year. Though I do want to make it switch off with the car so that it's not needlessly running the fan while the car is off.

Also, I run the low speed fan only (high isn't even wired in on my wagon) and it's survived sitting in traffic in 100 degree temps here in CA, no issues. Temperature is rock solid. I feel like there's more than enough airflow on the "low" speed Volvo fan, especially in my climate, that it's not worth worrying about. IT'd be neat to get a two-speed thermoswitch but I don't think it's a necessity. Though I do agree with staging the fan from low to high rather than off to high, that's a big shock for the system to handle. High speed draws a fair bit of current.

Searched in this thread, and could not see a comment on if there is a MPG improvement? If not and you are N/A, why do it? (Except for perhaps less noise...?)

Searched in this thread, and could not see a comment on if there is a MPG improvement? If not and you are N/A, why do it? (Except for perhaps less noise...?)

somewhere there is a link to the dyno results of with and without fan, it frees up a little hp, is alot quieter, and i swear my cars rev a lottle more freely, also in n/a a much larger area to work:-P

Still haven't done anything to my car other than make it not run right, but been pondering anyway

Anyone run a saab T in the lower hose WITH the T for the water cooling on the 240 turbo? it doesn't look like there's much room and 2 T's in one hose seems excessive and probably leaky.

Should I just trigger it some other way or get one of the hoses off a 940 turbo where the junction is rubber and bend the hose? That's what I did for the upper water cooling line after the old one blew a leak.

Still haven't done anything to my car other than make it not run right, but been pondering anyway

Anyone run a saab T in the lower hose WITH the T for the water cooling on the 240 turbo? it doesn't look like there's much room and 2 T's in one hose seems excessive and probably leaky.

Should I just trigger it some other way or get one of the hoses off a 940 turbo where the junction is rubber and bend the hose? That's what I did for the upper water cooling line after the old one blew a leak.

Just use a SAAB sender you cheap bastard

I like my setup...
I just need a colder switch.. My current switch is 92/87,
I need a step lower.

I run low speed to the switch, threaded to the 3 Row CSF ALuminum Rad..

High speed to a switch on the dash. Thermostat peaks at over 9pm on teh gauge, with just low speed.
Though checked with an I/R thermometer its not over 195 on the THermostat housing or head...
I am running a 100amp Bosch Alt.

I like my setup...
I just need a colder switch.. My current switch is 92/87,
I need a step lower.

I run low speed to the switch, threaded to the 3 Row CSF ALuminum Rad..

High speed to a switch on the dash. Thermostat peaks at over 9pm on teh gauge, with just low speed.
Though checked with an I/R thermometer its not over 195 on the THermostat housing or head...
I am running a 100amp Bosch Alt.
Search the thread for my posts, I use a threaded 87/82 switch in my radiator for the low speed with the 92+ 740/940/960 fan setup and it works perfectly with the 87 t-stat in the engine. Always keeps the temp gauge in basically the same place. Car is quieter and consistently faster with the efan. I love it and will eventually get around to doing it on my DD "beater", but I'll have to cone up with a different switch setup as that car doesn't have the hole in the radiator...

Search the thread for my posts, I use a threaded 87/82 switch in my radiator for the low speed with the 92+ 740/940/960 fan setup and it works perfectly with the 87 t-stat in the engine. Always keeps the temp gauge in basically the same place. Car is quieter and consistently faster with the efan. I love it and will eventually get around to doing it on my DD "beater", but I'll have to cone up with a different switch setup as that car doesn't have the hole in the radiator...

So you have two switches?

Pics?

I don't want to try switching out fan switches at this time because I would have to flush my coolant.

Less noise, fan doesn't run when the engine's cool which is good esp. in the mornings, less drag on the motor and without the fan running I have noticed it heats up better. Fan holds temperatures consistent at 9 o'clock be it the middle of summer or the middle of winter -- fan run-time varies accordingly.

I don't know about an MPG improvement because my car runs like **** right now but I love my efan setup.

Aside from the fact that your switch is in the rad, that's what I run. 87/82, 87deg thermostat, except mine's a T-fitting. I've been thinking of relocating mine to the lower hose. Is your thermoswitch on the cold side of the radiator?

So you have two switches?

Pics?

I don't want to try switching out fan switches at this time because I would have to flush my coolant.

Why would you have to flush the coolant? Wear gloves, swap it out fast. Keep a clean catch can under the car and pour the coolant back in.

One switch, in the upper passenger side of the radiator. It grounds the low speed circuit of the 940 fan relay. Works perfectly.

thoughts? ive always had a saab t in the upper hose with a 92/87 switch running just the high speed fan, i want to have the low speed used aswell, im thinking a 87/82 in the radiator for the low speed,
or maybe 87/82 and 82/77

any thoughts--------------is the 82/77 too low?

One switch, in the upper passenger side of the radiator. It grounds the low speed circuit of the 940 fan relay. Works perfectly.

How often does the fan run when the car is off? I've found that mine tends to cycle 2-3 times and recently, in the hotter weather, the car is getting hard to start. I'm assuming that it's because the fan is running for really long and draining the battery.

About the same. If your car is getting hard to start, it could be a million things. If it seems like the engine is turning over slowly, as if the battery is weak, you may just need to replace the battery... ;-) Have it tested at an auto parts store for free.

How often does the fan run when the car is off? I've found that mine tends to cycle 2-3 times and recently, in the hotter weather, the car is getting hard to start. I'm assuming that it's because the fan is running for really long and draining the battery.
Mine only runs for about 12 seconds right when I turn the car off, and only when I ride it hard and put it away wet and hot. If your fan cycles 2-3 times when the car is off, I'd say something is up with that.

Back