• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik

Radiator, u-joint flange, ball joints, tie rods are ordered. Looks like the 15th is gonna be a workday to pull the old busted HVAC crap with a leaking heater core out of the dash and replace it with a non-leaking heater core and 90+ HVAC unit. I'd like for this car to have AC at some point, and the upgraded heater box will be nice in general.

Gonna get real likkered up on the 15th and just cut the lips off the rear fenders. I hate cutting sheet metal on this car. Idk why it's such a big deal to me. It's kinda dumb, not like it's in particularly good shape or anything.

So I about had a ragequit this evening. When I first put the slip yoke in ages ago, it was a super tight fit and I had to tap it home with a rubber mallet. Once it was in, it didn't really want to turn without a LOT of effort. Not good.

I had hoped it was due to the use of a yoke that was designed to be a snug fit from Midwest Chassis as a lot of GTO guys have driveline vibrations from the yoke having a sloppy fit.

I ordered a GM replacement yoke and it also didn't go in easily.

I was fighting mad that the output shaft was twisted or bent. Once I looked in with the flashlight, I realized that the spring in the seal had come apart and gotten jammed between the yoke and the bushing.

So the tailhousing has to come off and a replacement bushing pressed in. Not the end of the world. The fancy yoke has some light marking, but I think it's fine.

So I about had a ragequit this evening. When I first put the slip yoke in ages ago, it was a super tight fit and I had to tap it home with a rubber mallet. Once it was in, it didn't really want to turn without a LOT of effort. Not good.

I had hoped it was due to the use of a yoke that was designed to be a snug fit from Midwest Chassis as a lot of GTO guys have driveline vibrations from the yoke having a sloppy fit.

I ordered a GM replacement yoke and it also didn't go in easily.

I was fighting mad that the output shaft was twisted or bent. Once I looked in with the flashlight, I realized that the spring in the seal had come apart and gotten jammed between the yoke and the bushing.

So the tailhousing has to come off and a replacement bushing pressed in. Not the end of the world. The fancy yoke has some light marking, but I think it's fine.

Sounds like you will be ok in the grand scheme of things. I'd have freaked out thinking I bent the output as well haha.

I was mostly worried because the wagon this motor/trans came out of had a driveshaft failure at a high speed. I've been paranoid that it's got a damage trans or diff since I did the install.

I was mostly worried because the wagon this motor/trans came out of had a driveshaft failure at a high speed. I've been paranoid that it's got a damage trans or diff since I did the install.

Reasonable concerns to have given the circumstances. Will you have the car ready for Mountain Meet?

Reasonable concerns to have given the circumstances. Will you have the car ready for Mountain Meet?

I am wholeheartedly expecting a lineup of 3, if not 4 (Jared's, yours, JohnMC's, and Kenny's) LS powered cars doing some kind of in-unison burnout during the weekend.

Probably the best choice for that part of the state. There?s hardly a straight enough road to let a turbo LS do it?s thing.

Yeah, on the drives it was a matter of taking it easy around the corners, seeing a straight and vROOOm, OK, now we're at the end of the straight already.

I'd *just* gotten it together then. A couple of hundred miles of shakedown drives, then off to MM.

So yeah... if anyone wants to head to Deals Gap this year...

I'll probably go that way on the way home at the very least.

Back