• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Turbo upgrade for 87 B230ft

It would probably help if you add details on what research you have done so far - there are many builds on here to reference, for example...

since this thread is about turbo upgrades; has anyone used the holset HE221W?

this guy's article is pretty interesting and very much in the same vein as many TB mods

stavtech said:
[J]ust like the OEM Subaru, Saab, and Volvo turbos, the HE221W is actually a Mitsubishi TD04 based unit, but the Holset version is far better than all of them, it's like a 'Super' TD04.
[T]he HE221W turbine wheel is actually the same overall diameter (but a better flowing design) as the 'big' TD04HL turbine wheel as fitted to the TD04HL-15T on the Saab 9-3/9-5 Aero high performance B235R engines, the TD04HL-13T on the 2.4T 5cyl Volvo engines from the C/S/V70 and similar engines, the TD04HL-15G on the 2.3T fitted to the high performance versions of the Volvo 850, and in fact many older Volvos such as certain 940 turbos with TD04HL turbos
So yes, as you've probably guessed already, you can simply swap the turbine housing over from your TD04HL, on to the HE221W, it's just one clamp, super easy, and hey presto, you have a turbo proven capable of up to 380bhp, 3bar boost, mega spool, that fits to the stock exhaust manifold and downpipe, for very little money

with an 87 740, with lh2.2/ezk117, you need larger injectors... the stock 32's are a wee too small. If you want to stick to the low impedance injectors you're on your own for source, but if you ditch the ballast resistor pack, the late model fWD volvo turbo injectors are a decent cheap upgrade.

For 250 I'd say something in the mitsubishi 15g-16t territory. You can source a wastegate adapter from yoshifab (https://yoshifab.com/store/15g-wastegate-relocator-bracket.html). Or one of the sisters.... 18t, 19t. To stray, a 16g from a dsm or depending how much you want to spend, a gt28 or if you can weld, a 16g6 from an evo 8 (my personal favorite).

You're going to need more boost, so figure in some type of reliable boost controller. You're still going to have boost creep out the wazoo even after you port the wastegate hole (on a 15g-16t or even a garret turbo).

IMHO 250hp makes the skinny rod block you have weak in the knees... If that was my car again (I had an 88), I'd have a wideband oxygen sensor with gauge on there to monitor.

To make the transmission cope (not sure if it's m46--you might need a clutch upgrade) but if you have an aw71, do the accumulator mod.

300hp is just a number. Are you willing to max out a 15g-16t at 20-25psi to get a number?

Keep the car at 250 and it'll be worlds (WORLD's) more fun than it is now and you give it a chance for a nice longish life. You're still going to need the far side of 18psi to get there.

Have you tried 200hp? why the need for 250-300? What are you running now?

You need intercooler upgrade, bigger exhaust, bigger injectors. One of the easier, low budget options is to upgrade the turbo you have. You can source a 60 trim compressor wheel and housing, rebuild the turbo and that will get you over the 250 mark. Minimal expense there for turbo.

@OP As you can read. This is a system that you are trying to upgrade and the people here want you to understand that it is much better to upgrade the parts of the system so it all works together for your benefit than just slap on one part and expect to get to 300 hers pers.

If you gave us some more information on what budget you are working with and your understanding of how the engine works. That will help narrow down the suggestions to provide more power. FYI even a 200hp Volvo will surprise you with how much fun it is.

Back