• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

KwikBrik245's Twin Turbo LS1 '88 744 REbuild: Damaged Goods

Yeah the s40 pump is pretty rad for a daily, you can also find them in the v50. I had my eyes on this one for a while as it has all the wiring connections:
https://focusautomotive.nl/onderdel...htiging+pomp/14018552-stuurbekrachtiging+pomp

I was considering it recently as a replacement for my PS pump looking at Speedflow fittings for the custom hose. You'll need either a 14mm or 16mm bump style fitting from what I could find, and running straight to AN adapter fittings from the rack was the cheapest option I could find in comparison to the AN banjo's. Some mustang guy did a great writeup here:
https://www.corral.net/threads/volvo-electric-power-steering-conversion-full-write-up.2499503/

I opted to stick with mechanical pumps, as most track/drift/autocross usage overheats the pump and damages it quickly as it will run in 80% duty cycle safe mode when connected without CAN-bus. The packaging should be great for a drag car though, and you can always grab a spare from the junkyard with the loom, as the volvo connectors are expensive/hard to find.

Thanks for the info! Is the issue with the pump overheating a fluid temperature issue, or is it internal to the pump motor?

I opted to stick with mechanical pumps, as most track/drift/autocross usage overheats the pump and damages it quickly as it will run in 80% duty cycle safe mode when connected without CAN-bus. The packaging should be great for a drag car though, and you can always grab a spare from the junkyard with the loom, as the volvo connectors are expensive/hard to find.

Where did you hear this? I was considering using one of them in our lemons car but if its going to be in some high usage default mode... i might try to find a different option.

Post #29 on the Mustang site I linked gave some insight, as do several other sources:
A number of guys who do HPDE or autocross on the FB groups have stated they have begun to move away from the volvo electric pumps. In this application the pump is operating in failsafe mode, and the main complaint is that it cannot keep up during quick steering movements.

I looked into it for a while and did buy a pump, however in the end it seemed like a novelty, or more suited for street cars. I know the Coyote swap guys are crazy over it, but if you plan on performance driving you may was to do your due diligence and maybe consider other options.

Taylor ray also did a video on these pumps for his Grassroots drift miata with a ls swap and ran into similar issues. He explains at the end of the video:
https://youtu.be/W85qCWtJhi8

From what I've read mercedes/mini pumps have similar issues without can bus connected, but I haven't researched a lot into those yet. The Volvo pumps seem to be a go-to for coyote swaps, so for straight line stuff they should be alright

Post #29 on the Mustang site I linked gave some insight, as do several other sources:
A number of guys who do HPDE or autocross on the FB groups have stated they have begun to move away from the volvo electric pumps. In this application the pump is operating in failsafe mode, and the main complaint is that it cannot keep up during quick steering movements.

I looked into it for a while and did buy a pump, however in the end it seemed like a novelty, or more suited for street cars. I know the Coyote swap guys are crazy over it, but if you plan on performance driving you may was to do your due diligence and maybe consider other options.

Taylor ray also did a video on these pumps for his Grassroots drift miata with a ls swap and ran into similar issues. He explains at the end of the video:
https://youtu.be/W85qCWtJhi8

From what I've read mercedes/mini pumps have similar issues without can bus connected, but I haven't researched a lot into those yet. The Volvo pumps seem to be a go-to for coyote swaps, so for straight line stuff they should be alright

Thanks again for the great info. Part of me wants to find out if the Volvo pump will suit my needs, and the other part just wants to get the Mercedes unit and be done with it.
Will you be attending the next virtual meet?

After watching the video, I believe he may have created his own problems by mounting it in the trunk. Friction loss of the hydraulic fluid over that distance is probably pretty hard on that pump. From an electrical standpoint being that close to the battery may be nice. I just think the distance (even for a miata) is too much for that little pump, and who knows what turns in the lines w didn't see.

I think I may be ok as I will mount it fairly close to the rack.

Last edited:
Yes I'll try to join in for the next meet, my car is headed for government inspection that week, so hopefully I'll have some good news:)

The lines might be the clue then, he also put it in his rx7 with shorter lines I just saw when googling some more. Maybe his second review is better, you could probably send him a message on Instagram, he is still small enough to keep up with those

Yes I'll try to join in for the next meet, my car is headed for government inspection that week, so hopefully I'll have some good news:)

The lines might be the clue then, he also put it in his rx7 with shorter lines I just saw when googling some more. Maybe his second review is better, you could probably send him a message on Instagram, he is still small enough to keep up with those

Best of luck on the inspection.
I will check that video out after I make some dinner tonight.

Clutch came yesterday. I plan on having the engine back in by the end of the weekend. Still waiting on a couple pieces for the fuel system. Other than that, things should start coming together fairly quickly.

In-tank pump

Today I pretty much finished up the In tank pump setup. I want to add a rubber isolator to the top of the pump, but other than that I am satisfied with the outcome. Also picked up this barely used Drill press for $80.

Attachments

• 59resize.JPG
    59resize.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 60resize.JPG
    60resize.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 61resize.JPG
    61resize.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 180
The Engine is in!

Put in some work this past weekend. Installed the new rotors and pads. Installed the engine as well. Now its time to clean up more wiring. I just ordered the alternator relocation kit from Dirty Dingo and will be mounting a s40 electric power steering pump. shortly after. Tomorrow I will figure out where the FPR will be living and how/where I will be routing the spark plug wires through the firewall.

Attachments

• 68resize.JPG
    68resize.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 66resize.JPG
    66resize.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 64resize.JPG
    64resize.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 62resize.JPG
    62resize.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 138
Interesting fuel pump setup, looks easier than what I did. Great score on the drill press! I am still "storing" one for a friend who had no place for it 15 years ago.

Interesting fuel pump setup, looks easier than what I did. Great score on the drill press! I am still "storing" one for a friend who had no place for it 15 years ago.

I will be upgrading the wiring with a bulkhead setup. I only plan on running around 600whp on pump gas so no need for a dual pump setup yet. The car was low 500whp with factory in-tank pump feeding a 350lph inline so I should be good long enough to work out the kinks. I plan on road tripping the car so I am trying to keep it as simple as possible.

My soft deadline is July 10th. However, I'm not too sure if I will make it.

Hope you make it! That is exciting, I can't even have a deadline. Did you see my bulkhead fitting after I finished it? Went pretty well I think.

Hope you make it! That is exciting, I can't even have a deadline. Did you see my bulkhead fitting after I finished it? Went pretty well I think.

Thanks! I did see your bulkhead setup. It looks great. If I have any issues with the one I bought, I will switch to the one you picked up. My hard deadline is Mountain Meet the end of September. I plan on having a few miles on the car before then, but you know how it goes lol

Braze? Weld?

Took the day off to get vaccinated (Work on my car all day before and after vaccination).
I am working out the rest of my fuel system and whether I will be using all new braided lines from the tank, or attaching 8an fittings to the ends of the factory bent 5/8"ish fuel pipe that is already there. Would it be best to braze the fittings on the pipe?

I also ran to the hardware store and grabbed a bunch of stuff to make my under dash coil pack mounts. Wont be pretty, but it will be functional and likely rough in appearance.

When I did my fuel system I flared the 5/8" tube to 37* and then used a -5 to -6 adapter. I think that all ended up as Earl's fittings. Not a lot of -5 options out there.

When I did my fuel system I flared the 5/8" tube to 37* and then used a -5 to -6 adapter. I think that all ended up as Earl's fittings. Not a lot of -5 options out there.

Flaring it may not be a bad idea, thank you.

I just ordered the AN adapter fittings for the OEM fuel filter since I have been hearing that they can flow quite a bit of fuel. Not to mention I don't have to modify the factory filter bracket. I still need to decide on where the FPR will be living and the fuel system is as good as done.

We're primed to have quite the showing of V8 swapped cars at MountainMeet this year.

Oh ya! I am cracking the whip on myself and my tendency to procrastinate in order to bring the 740. Just ordered my fan shroud from Griffin today. They told me 2wks from order to delivery, so I figured I should order it now even though cooling system is pretty far down the list in regards to my order of completion.

Fan Shroud and Fittings

Got the AN bungs from RaceTronix as well as the fan shroud from Griffin. Shroud is a huge improvement over the previous. AN fittings for the fuel line will get the tig tomorrow.

The father I move along, the more I add to my list of To-Dos. It is never ending.

Attachments

• 69resize.JPG
    69resize.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 304
  • 71resize.JPG
    71resize.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 301
  • 72resize.JPG
    72resize.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 305
  • 70resize.JPG
    70resize.JPG