• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

No bricks to be found at junkyards!!!

brickyard92

So I was wondering why I am not getting any more alerts from Pull-apart here in Atlanta.
The reason is that there are no Bricks at any of the 4 locations in GA and haven't been for a while now.
I've never seen this in my 20 years of owning Volvos.
It's was pretty cool to be able to get small cosmetics parts instead of trying to source them out! I hope this is not a bad sign of the death of the BRICKS.:-(

Is it not a sign that they're being preserved more than crushed?

I haven't seen an rwd in a junkyard in a long while, I kinda gave up looking.

Sometimes its slow. There are 3 yards in my area that have 1 240 each but I go all over my state. I have 15 different junkyards that I go to.

Last two years have slowed down here as well. By the time you get an alert they've pretty much been gone over.

Agreed for the Northeast. I’m new to the brick game, but every time one pops up in a yard around here it’s pretty picked, even if I hustle.

Friends tell me it didn’t use to be this way. Makes me grateful for this board when I’m looking for something specific.

Low demand for parts and lots of high quality steel to be made in to chinese bulk freighters. Yards aren't holding on to them for any reasonable amount of time. Last one I saw only stayed in the yard about a month.

Low demand for parts and lots of high quality steel to be made in to chinese bulk freighters. Yards aren't holding on to them for any reasonable amount of time. Last one I saw only stayed in the yard about a month.
It use to be 3-4 months, now its 4-6 weeks for turnaround.

There are several reasons for that. Number one, there aren't as many on the road anymore. Those that are don't have collision insurance on them, therefore, they don't end up in the insurance pool which is where wrecking yards buy most of their vehicles from. Occasionally, I'll see one that a private party sold to a yard that has been sitting in their yard for the last 2-10 years. Fresh kill is rare now.

Rare around here these days too, So much so that I had stopped regularly checking the LKQ website and missed a couple that had to have been stripped by the time I saw them. One was a 242GT with good looking seats and GT dash/trim; chrome mirrors - now gone.

The other was this decent looking 92 244 listed on 6/4/21 with black grill, cloth seats and a 7xx armrest! Looks like newer lenses too.

https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/locations/LKQ_Pick_Your_Part_-_Clearwater-190/recents/1992-volvo-240/

1190-34191-16755328.jpeg

1190-34191-16755338.jpeg

I have been checking every week since.

This is no surprise to anyone north of warmer places. I'm in Canada, north of NY state...and we get maybe one 240 a year in the local yards, if we're lucky. The odd 740 and MAYBE a couple 940s...but it's been a long time since any useful cars popped up in the pick'n'pulls.

Yeah, the wave of 240's dried up (around here) years ago. The wave of 700/900 cars dried up more recently. It's almost all FWD era cars hitting the yards now.

A 93 245 landed in the Vancouver WA pick-n-pull this last weekend. I went out there on Sunday and there was still a ton of meat left on the bones, including a full R134 AC system, good black dash, black doorcards, black cloth back seat. I didn't pull anything because I didn't have my full tool kit and didn't really need much, but I bet most of it is still there!

That being said, I don't see RWD Volvos in the yards too often anymore, and I'm in the mecca of RWD Volvos.

I don’t go to the Yard as often As I used to when I started driving Volvo‘s . Every time I went to a yard I always had my full tool kit which included my power tools! ��

For a long while 3rd gen 4Runners were rare in PnP yards. even wrecked, I guess they were above the prices they like to pay. Then a few years ago it's like the dam burst, now you can almost always find at least one if you go by 2 or 3 yards.

Back