• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik

So I took it down to Commerce this past Friday to see what it would do in the 1/4 mile. Since it was the last weekend for the track in operation, it was absolutely packed. In nearly 6 hours, I only got 3 passes in.

The first was a 14.016 at 104, with a 2.423 60'. This was the first time on a dragstrip for me since like 2014. I forgot how to drive.

Next run was a 14.4something at 103. Forgot the 60' time, but it was bad.

Best run of the night was a 13.757 at 106. 2.319 60' for that run.

I'm sure that the car would do better than that, even the last run was with significant wheelspin off the line. With some slicks and a driver mod, this thing should do low 13s easily, maybe high 12s if everything lined up exactly right.

Granted, I didn't build this car to run a 1/4 mile, but it's good to know what it'll do.

I put the family in it on Saturday and we enjoyed some back roads for most of the day. It's kinda weird having a car that (so far) seems to just..work.

I'm working on a solution to keep the motor from squirming around and hitting the steering shaft in hard right turns, but once that's done, it'll be winter and I probably won't be driving a car without any heat much. Fixing the heater core will be the next project for me.

That looks like a 'real' part. I got some ACDelco part (ACDelco 15-5675) that cost under $15, and is made of plastic. It's automatic, spring loaded. So when the Volvo heater valve closes, it opens. It's been working fine so far.

Need to get a stereo in this thing too. Driving in silence (well not silence but you know what I mean) is getting old.

Currently debating between going with a modern headless stereo setup, or putting in a vintage head unit and using the CD changer input to connect in a bluetooth dongle.

The vintage head unit would be cooler (like something from the mid-90s) but it would be more work for sure.

I'd look into a Continental head-unit. They look fitting in 80's/90's interiors and have all the modern functionality you could want.

Here's the Continental in my 244. No CD, no cassette, just aux and USB. No BT because I find it drains my phone battery too fast.

oBXgfWEg_o.jpg

That's true, tho you could run it through a hi-lo converter to hook it up to an amp. Another option would be the new Blaupunkt Bremen, but those are expensive sadly.

That's true, tho you could run it through a hi-lo converter to hook it up to an amp. Another option would be the new Blaupunkt Bremen, but those are expensive sadly.

Yeah, I've seen those. They seem to come in around $500 or so.

Much more cost effective to spend $150 on a vintage head unit and $350 spread out over 17 smaller purchases to get a system that would work half as good as a new Bremen. :rofl:

Back