• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

79 GT Springs Discontinued....

Whelp, my dealership confirmed that no other Volvo dealership has any of the GT springs in the US. He said Skandix looks like it does, but shipping is the killer there.

Does anyone else have experience with those 14.5mm springs?

I'm guessing buying crusty coils off eBay is not a bright idea, huh?

Whelp, my dealership confirmed that no other Volvo dealership has any of the GT springs in the US. He said Skandix looks like it does, but shipping is the killer there.

Does anyone else have experience with those 14.5mm springs?

I'm guessing buying crusty coils off eBay is not a bright idea, huh?

You could get lucky and get some later ones that are a teeny tiny bit thicker, but then the JY would be more of a sure bet if that's what you want.

:e-shrug:

"Hello,

the manufacturer did not provide us with that piece of information and we don't have all the parts readily available for inspection as we work remotely.
We did some net research, this part is probably not 14.5mm, the best idea is to contact your local dealership and obtain the part number for your vehicle from them and compare it with the one on our listing. If there's a match, you're good to go. Or you can send the part number you've obtained to us and we'll check if we carry it.
Thank you for your understanding,

Best regards,
Bobby
Customer Service"

Well, shoot...

just buy these ones, they are advertised as 14.5
if they show up in a different size and you don't like
them they will have to take them back as not as
described

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14072247619...hoCsg8QAvD_BwE

the eBay ones

Last edited:
Someone told me that the 1990 sedans and wagons got the '79 242GT springs installed on them as stock from the factory.

I cannot remember if I was able to confirm or deny.

I haven't yet seen those Lesjofors springs yet. The ones you have, do they actually measure 14.5mm?

Yeah, a lot of dealers list the 1229337 as being available. I asked my local dealer what's up with that, and I'm waiting to hear back.

ordered mine 7(?) years ago(I think it was an ebay seller called partscontainer). I do recall measuring and not finding any surprises. As far as having "X" amount of paint or coating, I couldn't say 100%.
I heard that powder coating can add up to 1mm and paint .5mm.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Looks like the only upgrade the 1992 cars got were the 1978 GT style sways. Just measured a pair of 1992 front springs and they're 13.5mm...

I've got a set of front GT springs in my DD and while they are better than stock springs, they don't turn my wagon into an auto-crosser. YMMV

Just found a Q&A on FCP where FCP says that the Lesjofors 4095801 will be stiffer than stock.

Could that be possible even if the thickness is 13.5mm?

That might be old information from when the GT springs were still available. That said, if there are more coils in the spring itself, it may be stiffer even though the wire diameter is the same as a DL front spring. So, it might be worth counting the number of coils before sending them back.

That might be old information from when the GT springs were still available. That said, if there are more coils in the spring itself, it may be stiffer even though the wire diameter is the same as a DL front spring. So, it might be worth counting the number of coils before sending them back.

Found a picture of Towery's stock 13.5mm springs in the spring measurement thread. The number of coils matches. I'll be returning these.

That might be old information from when the GT springs were still available. That said, if there are <s>more</s> less coils in the spring itself, it <s>may</s> will be stiffer even though the wire diameter is the same as a DL front spring. So, it might be worth counting the number of coils before sending them back.

Fixed.

A shorter rod of the same ? material will be stiffer.

That's the trick Volvo used for early 164 front springs until they used pickup truck springs in the later cars

Back