• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Canadian 1984 244 DL B21A/B6304 project log.

Got any more detail shots of that bottom timing belt cover?
Sure. The AQ171Cs came with aluminum bottom covers (most of the AQ engines do it seems) that the fresh water pump bolts to and works off the IM gear. With the AQ140A in my car now, I tried running the cover as is, but the fresh water pump boss fouled the belts. If you cut it off, it works fine. It'd be possible to weld new metal over the hole, but I don't have any problems leaving it open. Honestly, it looks like any other lower cover except for the extra-long standoffs, since it doesn't even come close to mating with the block when installed.

pX6XXShH_o.jpg

yNLcJ5yH_o.jpg

K4QsAGKt_o.jpg

3AtPkk04_o.jpg

yYgrza7a_o.jpg

Oh I kinda like that! Thanks!

I've got another one...;)

PARTS DELIVERY DAY!
The 16v DCOE manifold from KL Racing showed up today. Two weeks from Sweden to Canada...gotta love a global society. I just ordered a used B234F exhaust manifold on ebay from the USA, lets see how long it takes to arrive. Canada Post is peculiar.

lDjU3Xp6_o.jpg

Ah well, I didn't get much traction on my wanted post so I figured nobody had one, lol. I jumped the gun a bit on the manifold purchase on Ebay because I had just gotten back from a meeting with the accountant helping me sort our issues with the Canada Revenue Agency (the IRS of the North), and it was VERY positive...so I indulged in a bit of junkyard part buying, lol. Taxes suck, which I'm sure is a universal issue, so it was good to get positive news.

F**K WINTER! :)

No progress, but at least today I installed a new flame trap filter on the 16v. Woooo! I was so bored I swapped the Keith Franck emulsion tubes into my DCOEs too, even though I can't drive the car until March, sigh. I need to buy a bunch of idle jets and some larger chokes, and carbparts.eu is on vacation until Jan. Getting stuff from the USA takes a lot longer than getting stuff from CZ, so...hooray Canada?

When it's winter and the garage is packed up tight, you have to be creative if you want to change the rear main seal on 'next year's engine' and the stand gets in the way. There's no way to get the hoist out, nor is there any space to use it. I used some penta engine mount brackets/mounts and some 2x4s to brace the engine on the stand and just unbolted it. Perfect fit :).

qgLid2ZR_o.jpg

Once the rear main is done, I'll put it back on the stand and do the oil pan gasket.

Found some plug wires that fit the way I want them to. The ones from a VW 16v engine (2.0L from the pre-92 passats and Golf/Jetta GTI/GLI) fit great and there's no need to force squishy plug boots down the bores and hope they click. They're very solid, but need a bit of bracing at the top.

nA9e08rT_o.jpg

I finally got some filters, although they're slip-ons because I really prefer to run without them for the bestest sounds. They're slip-ons in case I'm ever in need of filtering, like on a dusty road or something like that.

kkh3pqa0_o.jpg

Then a bit of CAD (cardboard aided design) to help build a plug wire cover.

ZJziQN7w_o.jpg

Some 36mm chokes for my DCOE40s, 32 idle jets (8 sets of 4), some 0 acc pump bleedback valves, a set of 55mm pump jets, and a set of 20 mains/airs (5 sets 4 airs, and 5 sets of 4 mains). I hate having to wait for stuff to come in, so I spent a fortune on weber jets. This doesn't bother me, because there's always a market for them if I go to sell...or if I swap to yet another engine, haha.

b5vKdGiY_o.jpg

Word on that rear plug retainer:

If I were you, I'd use a 240 B230 distributor delete cam plug sitting flush with the edge of that cam cap, and install the retainer strip with no shims. There is very little room behind the camshaft thrust pad for anything to be in that area, and also very little room between the firewall and that corner of the cylinder head. Just my :twocents:

Word on that rear plug retainer:

If I were you, I'd use a 240 B230 distributor delete cam plug sitting flush with the edge of that cam cap, and install the retainer strip with no shims. There is very little room behind the camshaft thrust pad for anything to be in that area, and also very little room between the firewall and that corner of the cylinder head. Just my :twocents:

I was wondering about that. I didn't have a cam seal/cap so I just hacked up a head-mounted dizzy and ghetto retained it with some scrap metal. I'm trying to find a way to get that cam cap without paying $20 CAD shipping or trying to deal with the dealership that rarely has any idea what I'm talking about :(.

Back