• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik

Ah, cool. Those Infinity's are nice. A small amp running the fronts would make it even better, but all that counts is that you like it. Cleaning up the mounting will improve the sound for sure

Ah, cool. Those Infinity's are nice. A small amp running the fronts would make it even better, but all that counts is that you like it. Cleaning up the mounting will improve the sound for sure

Yeah, once I get this old school Grundig head unit installed, I may really need a 4 channel amp. It's quite a bit less powerful than the head unit that's in there now.

And on that note, I just finished up the drawing for some new 5.25 speaker grilles. Now to find someone to print a couple test pieces...

Qv2nvcOh.png

Last edited:
When you find some one to print these I'll take a set :oogle:

Probably just going to post the file once I'm certain they work. I did a quote through Cloudprint to have them in ABS and it was about $120 I think. Not cheap, but the surface finish should be nice, ABS would hold up to the heat in the car, and it's less than half the cost of the BNE ones.

I've thought about getting a printer but idk. Just haven't made the plunge yet.

Probably just going to post the file once I'm certain they work. I did a quote through Cloudprint to have them in ABS and it was about $120 I think. Not cheap, but the surface finish should be nice, ABS would hold up to the heat in the car, and it's less than half the cost of the BNE ones.

I've thought about getting a printer but idk. Just haven't made the plunge yet.

You buy the printer and I'll finally buy the cnc router. We can swap stuff.

Came in and this was sitting on my desk this morning.

jhiuKjmh.jpg

3Uxie90h.jpg

WQUsQJ4h.jpg

0WcDGWuh.jpg

The face of the speaker grille actually has a really nice kind of pebbled look to it since that's what the print bed is. I'd probably hit it with some matte black paint just to kill the sheen, but it's not too bad.

One issue I can already see is I should've put a rim on the bracket so the speaker can sit down a bit, right now the bracket sits flush against the back of the grille and that'll push the grille out. Duh.

Been messing with this this evening. Going to basically re-draw the thing and try again, but hey, that's what prototyping is for I guess. A number of things I didn't consider.

I knew the speaker grille wouldn't fit on there with a speaker mounted as soon as I saw the finished print. Duh.

I'm eliminating the innermost ring of mounting holes. There's not enough meat on the door card there to reliably grab onto.

I'm also shrinking the thing down a bit in all dimensions, but most notably in depth. The factory 5.25 mounts are about 3/4" thick. Much thicker than that and the window crank will hit the grille.

As I had it designed I had like 2.75" of clearance behind the bracket. You don't need that much. Most 5.25 speakers seem to have around 2" of clearance needed, so I'm redrawing it with that in mind. The Polk speakers I had on my desk while working on this are an oddball, needing 2-5/8" clearance behind them. That makes a huge difference on the overall thickness.

But hey, I tried.

mrqQWvsh.jpg

RM5E7EKh.jpg

Nice CAD work, are you using Onshape? Would you be willing to share the file as I am looking to add a decent audio setup to mine at some point. Happy to contribute.

And yeah, it's onshape. My first real foray into 3d modeling. Pretty intuitive so far but I have a lot to learn. It's pretty fun though.

Once I'm sure everything fits right, I'll probably do a group buy basically at cost for people that want a set but either don't have a printer or want a better surface finish and I'll post the file at that point.

You can always put a small washer on the crank mechanism spline and put a thicc felt washer behind the crank handle to cheat extra clearance. Who knows, even a 6” deal could be within the realm of possibility then.

You can always put a small washer on the crank mechanism spline and put a thicc felt washer behind the crank handle to cheat extra clearance. Who knows, even a 6? deal could be within the realm of possibility then.

"Give me a washer thicc enough and a printer with a large enough bed, and I shall mount subwoofers in 240 front doors."
-Archimedes, probably.

Back