• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik

Can't resist driving to the Windingstair overlook when a great sunset is imminent.

tHkahQ2h.jpeg

8l6FULbh.jpeg

fLb7AZ5h.jpeg

GM0ph06h.jpeg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/--Mtp8IH1s4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So I think the speaker bracket is done on the third try.

I reduced the overall width of the mounting bracket to 5.25" square, and with the grille over top it's just a hair over 3/4" thick. With the grille in place, it'll be 5.55" square.

The bracket is the same depth (.47") as the mounting points on the factory 5.25" grille.

With the grille mounted, the top right corner (or top left on the passenger side) may just barely foul the trim piece below the vent, but I don't think it'll be too bad. It's tough to get a measurement in there.

The bracket will mount to the door using four #6 sheet metal screws with speed nuts on the back side to hold it to the door panel.

hOyY9z9h.png

Wd9hLVzh.png

va2ihHYh.png

Because the whole thing has to be fairly shallow to clear both the window crank and the side of the dash when the door is closed, it's going to limit speaker choices a bit. You probably won't be able to use anything with a protruding tweeter like this:

0nAKLMbh.jpg

Instead you'll need to use speakers that are relatively flat across the front, like below. there's only 1/4" of space between the face of the mounting bracket and the backside of the grille.

JkPizBqh.jpg

Mounting depth is also going to be right about 2-1/4", so that limits speaker choice a bit as well. Some of the real high end stuff with big magnets gets to around 2.5-2.8 inches mounting depth, but the vast majority of 5.25 speakers should fit fine.

Looks good. I also like that accessory gauge mounting. Is that another 3D printed solution?

Nah, I just glued two of the blank panels together, snapped them into the console, and used a 2" hole saw to carefully cut through them.

I stopped just shy of actually cutting through and finished them off with a razor knife and dremel.

Quote to get one set of grilles printed in polycarbonate was like $44. They say there's price breaks for quantities beyond that.

Weird that I've just been...driving this thing. I don't think I've had to fix anything on it since before MountainMeet.

I've got a short list of things I want to do now that the weather's warming up:

-Remedy steering shaft clearance issue
-QSRC installation, alignment
-Better shocks, different springs for the rear.
-Better brake pads all around
-Rebuild the front seats
-Stereo build
-Investigate fuel leakage under hard left turns
-Track day bro

Weird that I've just been...driving this thing. I don't think I've had to fix anything on it since before MountainMeet.

I've got a short list of things I want to do now that the weather's warming up:

-Remedy steering shaft clearance issue

STS?

-QSRC installation, alignment

Can't recommend both enough.

-Better shocks, different springs for the rear.

Can't recommend the GAZ shocks enough.

-Better brake pads all around

For the Cadillac brakes I'd say get something nearly stock and semi-metallic. I'm starting to hate every ceramic pad out there. Low dust is not even worth it anymore. Pagids are a generally great streetability/performance compromise.
-Rebuild the front seats

Stock?

-Stereo build

Gave you feedback on the feedback thread

-Investigate fuel leakage under hard left turns

I actually had this issue. Apparently 79s don't have the rollover valve setup (mine didn't even have a charcoal canister) and use a simple checkvalve instead. Trash the checkvalve and get rollover valve+fuel tank vent setup, and add a charcoal canister if yours does not have one.

-Track day bro

Yesbro

Yeah. My engine is set lower than most, so clearance on the drivers side manifold to the skinny STS shaft is only about 1/8" or so. I can probably space the motor up slightly and fix this.

Can't recommend both enough.

I've had the qsrcs for awhile now, it's just been too cold to put them on.

Can't recommend the GAZ shocks enough.

It's got some Suburban shocks on there now. Weird, and not ideal.

For the Cadillac brakes I'd say get something nearly stock and semi-metallic. I'm starting to hate every ceramic pad out there. Low dust is not even worth it anymore. Pagids are a generally great streetability/performance compromise.

The pads on it now are semi-metallic stock pads I think, and they leave a lot to be desired. I also think I may have a bias issue, as I'll smoke the rear brakes long before the front. Need to investigate that too.

The VW Recaros. The covers are good and the foam is mostly okay, but the springs/suspension is toast. I may put in a more modern seat altogether, idk.

I actually had this issue. Apparently 79s don't have the rollover valve setup (mine didn't even have a charcoal canister) and use a simple checkvalve instead. Trash the checkvalve and get rollover valve+fuel tank vent setup, and add a charcoal canister if yours does not have one.

TIL.

Mine would lock up rear brakes with Suburban shocks as well. They are trash. Currently using 200# springs with GAZ shocks valved to match. Even with the big R brakes in the back I no longer have that problem.

If it’s too weird and terrible, I think the Bilstein B4 or KYB Gas A Justs or whatever rears are a damn sight better than what you have now, in case you need something less scary RFN.

+1 on not using ceramics. I really liked the Pagids I had in the TDI and I beat on them pretty hard.

So I think this weekend is shaping up to be a car work weekend. I still haven't fixed that brake leak, keep forgetting, so I'll need to address that.

I also ordered a pair of Corbeau GTSII seats to replace my Recaros. The Recaros are just not big boi approved, the base is too narrow. That, coupled with the fact they really need to be rebuilt, means they'll be better used in someone else's car.

I also have most of the parts to completely redo the stereo in the car. I'm sticking with 5.25s in the front doors, 6.5s in the rear doors, and I'll probably put another pair of 5.25s in the rear package tray. The head unit is here, replacement subs are here, and I'm picking up a 4-channel amp on my way home. I have a 2-channel amp already.

May do 6x9s in the package tray instead of 5.25s, I just already have the 5.25s.

6x9's for sure, i had a pair in my old 242, they were hooked up to an amp. I did not need a sub, they were perfect.

So I got the seats installed the other day. I used the brackets/sliders that Corbeau sells, everything fit perfectly.

I'm glad I ordered the bases shaved down, headroom is tight, but I have more headroom than with factory 240 seats, that's for sure.

Not quite as much as with the Recaros, but the bottom foam was pretty blown out of those.

I haven't even driven the car yet since I'm trying to update the stereo too, and I've got some new carpet on order for it too. Gonna pull the seats back out for that obviously.

WNxBKSmh.jpg

XYf8b0nh.jpg

Back