• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

School me on performance intake and exhaust manifolds

Msi

Hello fellow TBs!!

Given everything else in place - what are my options of intake manifold (and throttle body) and exhaust manifold for 500 crank HP?

The setup is b230 block + b234 head in a 98' 945.

I have a set of adapter plates so I could run 8v manifolds as well.

Here's a couple of options I found thus far:

Inlet -
https://www.classicswede.co.uk/Inle...940_8_valve_not_welded/p1733344_16487795.aspx

Exhaust -
https://www.classicswede.co.uk/Volv...e_T4_Manifold_-_Header/p1733344_17187233.aspx

Looking for your collective wisdom on this matter.

Thank you for your time!!

What are people making with the stock 90+ turbo manifolds?

Assuming I'm going to gasket match the turbo flange to a T3.
Is anything in the ballpark feasible?

I have a 6758 turbo rated at 500hp. To be realistic it is probably more like 450, cause I don't want to be at the end of the map.

Can I push these numbers with stock 90+ turbo intake/exhaust manifolds?

If you peruse the project threads you'll probably find all the info you're looking for with regard to what to use for those power numbers. I believe the 90+ exhaust can get you close and the stock intake for the 16v head will flow plenty for those number iirc.

My experience with a header is it puts off alot of heat. I mean alot, yes you can use header wrap but it doesnt last long. I tried all different brands. So, Im going back to a 90 plus manifold and Im using zybar on it. Will see how it works out.

Whatever you do on the exhaust, make sure it has the capacity for an external wastegate for your peace of mind when tuning boost. A pre-90 log manifold with the flat bottom is an excellent spot to mount an external gate.

If you peruse the project threads you'll probably find all the info you're looking for with regard to what to use for those power numbers.
I need to find a couple of projects where people push north of 400whp. If you know of any good ones and can point me to them - that'll be great.

I believe the 90+ exhaust can get you close and the stock intake for the 16v head will flow plenty for those number iirc.

I'm running 8v 90+ intake and exhaust manifolds on my 16v head using adapter flanges. I ported the turbo flange to T3. I think that the 16v manifolds are better, but not entirely sure. Regardless, those can't be found where I'm located, these were never imported to IL. My 16v head is literally 1 of 4/5 in the whole local market.

So, Im going back to a 90 plus manifold and Im using zybar on it. Will see how it works out.

Thanks for the zybar tip. I'll check to see what equivalents we have locally.
Do you have a project thread? I'd check out how it's going for you.

Whatever you do on the exhaust, make sure it has the capacity for an external wastegate for your peace of mind when tuning boost. A pre-90 log manifold with the flat bottom is an excellent spot to mount an external gate.

Hmmm. I was hoping to get away with the internal waste gate on my BorgWarner. Is it hopeless?

Hmmm. I was hoping to get away with the internal waste gate on my BorgWarner. Is it hopeless?

Just depends on how good the wastegate flow is on the turbo. In my experience, the generally too small wastegate ports need to be substantially enlarged to prevent boost spiking.

My external gate provided rock solid boost control.

Back