• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Simplifying and upgrading brakes with small wheels

icdpride

So I have been having some brake issues lately all bleeding related and it got me thinking are there any better brake caliper set ups I could do that are a single brake line instead of the 2 in the front. But the kicker is I currently have 15" wheels so I am wondering if anyone know of a caliper that at least matches the stock 240 front brakes but only uses one line.

The car I am looking to do this on is a 1986 244 non abs

Also feel free to tell me how I am wrong and the 2 brake lines really isnt that big of a deal

Thanks

You are wrong and the two brake lines isn't really that big of a deal.

Volvo was just going above and beyond what the vast majority of manufacturers with the federally required dual circuit braking system. Instead of a simple front/rear split, they have a dual diagonal. A failure in either circuit leaves you with operating brakes on both sides in the front, and one of the rear wheels. Which, in many situations, really isn't even that noticeable.

Bleeding of the system shouldn't be any more complicated or difficult other than there being two separate bleeders on each front caliper, one for each circuit.

If you really get fed up with the whole mess, you could 'downgrade' to the late model 240 ABS calipers. An ABS system couldn't deal with a dual diagonal hydraulic system on the front, so the calipers for it just have one line, one bleeder. Those would be bolt on AFAIK. Same size, very similar caliper, same pads, same rotors. Then you'd jsut need to do some hydraulic line removal on the hydraulic system. One line to each front brake.

How would swapping to a one line caliper help with your brake bleeding problems? There would be more issues to overcome than just bleeding the brakes.

So I have been having some brake issues lately all bleeding related and it got me thinking are there any better brake caliper set ups I could do that are a single brake line instead of the 2 in the front. But the kicker is I currently have 15" wheels so I am wondering if anyone know of a caliper that at least matches the stock 240 front brakes but only uses one line.

The car I am looking to do this on is a 1986 244 non abs

Also feel free to tell me how I am wrong and the 2 brake lines really isnt that big of a deal

Thanks

The 2 line thing is stupider than fawk..

The proof that its just so much triggered Lutheran engineers out of their minds BS is that they dropped the 2 line bullsh!t on the same car with ABS..

Just get some ABS 240 front calipers--1 hose, easy bleed and you won't die..

Last edited:
Back