• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

"Barn Find" 1980 242.

I got the two fuel pump going, but now there is no fuel going to the injectors... Wtf? I had fuel flowing to them with just the intank pump working and now they aren't with 80 psi.

Nice find! I'm glad I didn't see that one. I didn't need another project right now. Esp one that's sat for so long. Would've made a nice stablemate to the '80 264.

Since I always wanted a 242 in the first place, and my wife loves the 244, I might be using this shell for the engine swap. As far as suspension, does everything swap back over from 1980 to 1989?

Since I always wanted a 242 in the first place, and my wife loves the 244, I might be using this shell for the engine swap. As far as suspension, does everything swap back over from 1980 to 1989?

Yep, I am almost done moving the suspension from a '90 over to my '78 242. The late-style front strut housings/spindles are better than the early-style, too, since they have a larger wheel bearing. Swap the vented rotor setup over while you have everything out :oogle:. Everything has been a direct swap so far, aside from the brake line fittings being different (check, but I think '80 is past the changeover date so you are good to go).

I had to install all of the '78 suspension on the '90 (so it could be towed away), and it all fits just fine. Same exact parts. I guess there is one small difference - torque rod bushings.

Yep, I am almost done moving the suspension from a '90 over to my '78 242. The late-style front strut housings/spindles are better than the early-style, too, since they have a larger wheel bearing. Swap the vented rotor setup over while you have everything out :oogle:. Everything has been a direct swap so far, aside from the brake line fittings being different (check, but I think '80 is past the changeover date so you are good to go).

I had to install all of the '78 suspension on the '90 (so it could be towed away), and it all fits just fine. Same exact parts. I guess there is one small difference - torque rod bushings.

My 244 has coilovers and brembos+13" rotors. That would be getting swapped and the original going back on for daily driving use.

Very cool find! I am currently in the market for one of those grab handles! It is not everyday that you find a 242 with so many awesome options!

I just saw that! The '80 242DL we had when I was in HS was a dead ringer for this car, save for the grille. Had the stripes and that grab handle.

Now I'm really glad you found this before I did. Nostalgia might've done me in!

Good looking 242. Congrats on finding it! Good luck and have fun with it!

The stripes look very accurate in the shape. They must have bought the stripe kit and used a different pinstripe for what wouild have been the orange part.

The stripes look very accurate in the shape. They must have bought the stripe kit and used a different pinstripe for what wouild have been the orange part.

Hard to tell from the tiny tiny pics. But I think it's the stripe kit to the left in 2-door version

D18F88E4-A5D6-48C8-A90D-34D26AABF488_zpsy74gbdce.jpg

The barn find is now turning into a resto-mod project. I am fixing all of the rust, which is only limited to the drivers side quarter.

I will also be trimming the lip completely off of the rear fenders and seam welding the quarter to the inner portion. This should give 1" more of clearance for wheels and tires.

Bye bye

Quarter cut and inner lip was cut out. I still need to reconstruct the inner portion.

New quarter panel section fit and just about ready for welding.

I pulled the engine wiring and degreased the engine bay.

While I am in the welding and cutting mood.....but cheek delete?

I may end up cutting mine out at some point, although now it's a nice home for my windshield washer bottle. In my opinion cars with body color butt cheeks look flat out terrible, so if you have to paint something black to make it "disappear" it's not lending any favors to the design. OFF WITH ITS CHEEKS

Back