• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Automotive Fire Extinguishers

daniels740

About 6 months ago, a small fuel leak developed at the seal of my 740's FPR, which I luckily sniffed out and corrected immediately. It sure alerted me to the dangers of an automotive fire.

Seeing as I don't have fire extinguishers in any of my vehicles, I'd like to ask around and see what you guys recommend before I spend money on extinguishers that perform poorly. The only smaller automotive-like extinguisher I have is a 20 oz. Sears Halon 1211 2-B:C extinguisher from 1987. It still indicates it is at operating pressure, but I don't know if I would trust it. I also have various extinguishers at home but none of them are to be kept in cars.

The home extinguishers I have may also be due for a replacement because of age, so I could use some suggestions for those too. Thanks in advance.

Also, where would be an ideal place to mount or keep an extinguisher on my '89 744T? I know it is important for it to be quick to access, but I don't want to stick it in plain view in my interior.

I just run one I picked up from oriellys. Been about a year ago but on the road I had a fuel line pop on the fuel rail. It ignited the and I had a huge engine fire. Thank goodness I had a F.E. in my trunk. I pulled it out and it wouldnt spray, a mud dobber nest was in the nozzle. I found a hammer and popped the top off. Was about to save the car. Im now a firm believer in carrying a FE in the cab where I can grab it quickly. But will probably keep one in the trunk as well. I would say if you bought one from like Jegs or Summit might be the best place? Im sure others will tune in.

Ever since someone in my village crashed and wasn't so lucky to survive I carry a good FE in my car. Never know when it comes in handy. Had to use it once.

Its a 2kg CO2 one though, might be little less effective than the nasty powder but still.

No idea how to mount it.

For our racing series before we moved to onboard fire suppression, each car was required to carry an A, B, C rated fire extinguisher. At least 5 pounds. It is best to get one with a metal head with a metal locking bracket.

The metal brackets have withstood crashes when racing, but you don't want it situated where it could become a projectile. I have had drivers come in complaining of a loud suspension clunk, it was usually the fire extinguisher loose in the cab after a driver change. Luckily it never went off, I have see videos of that on a track.

I have also seen automotive brackets that attach to the seat rail mount points.

For our racing series before we moved to onboard fire suppression, each car was required to carry an A, B, C rated fire extinguisher. At least 5 pounds. It is best to get one with a metal head with a metal locking bracket.

The metal brackets have withstood crashes when racing, but you don't want it situated where it could become a projectile. I have had drivers come in complaining of a loud suspension clunk, it was usually the fire extinguisher loose in the cab after a driver change. Luckily it never went off, I have see videos of that on a track.

I have also seen automotive brackets that attach to the seat rail mount points.

This.

Don't put it in the trunk ,we had a rear end accident back in Oct in our Bentley, kept one in the trunk, could not open the trunk if a fire happened. All of our cars now have one mounted between the seat and the driver side door. A friend of mine lost an '80 Turbo sedan for the lack of a fire extinguisher.

I like the seat rail mounts, and center console passenger side. It intrudes a bit on the passengers knee, but it is easily grabbed.

And Halon is definitely the way to go if it's in the budget. Many of the powdered extinguishers are corrosive.

For a quick release mount, the Scott Drake ones are hard to beat: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...1vCYvyiJaVaI0ZwQC2M2Ky5srpT72WOBoC8GgQAvD_BwE

Even available in a knock off for you TB-Cheap sobs: https://www.amazon.com/Release-Adjustable-Extinguisher-Bracket-Wrangler/dp/B07W1157R8

If it rattles, use some closed cell foam between bracket and mount to remove the slop.

If you're using a red steel cam-type extinguisher mount and don't want them to pop open, use either a small zip tie or a piece of tape to hold the clasp down against the band. If you double over the tape, it makes a nice handle for gloved hands to easily grab. I have never had an extinguisher come loose in the rally car or road race cars.

Back