• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

URLs and page uniformity

Status
Not open for further replies.

hk 40

Banned
url.png

The forum mods should simply deploy an "[IMG640][/IMG640]" attachment tab versus the open ended one in the toolbar above to maintain page uniformity . I can't believe you guys deal with this nonuniformity that comes from uploaded URL's that are too large. I see no one cares about cleaning them up themselves so there's a better way that makes it easy for all the users to post the photos in a format that will automatically shrink any photo to an appropriate size 640 frame size. Transversion of the pages to look at huge photos is a little disjunct for easy viewing. It also keeps the forum pages looking nice and uniform.

Please don't take it as a bash to the mods. I know it is time consuming work with zero reward. It is only a suggestion of what might be an easy solution to keep the pages tidy with max 640 wide url attached photos for easy viewing and posting for everybody.

Thank you for your time and patience,
Hubert

Please don't take it as a bash to the mods. I know it is time consuming work with zero reward. It is only a suggestion of what might be an easy solution to keep the pages tidy with max 640 wide url attached photos for easy viewing and posting for everybody.

Thank you for your time and patience,
Hubert

Its not possible in vbulletin3 or vbulletin4 to resize hotlinked images from what I found googling. The solution is to upgrade the board to vb4 and allow uploaded images to everyone so people dont have to use hotlinks

Please don't break the board, Dana. That's my hobby.
Also, Sarah and Robbie sent a message, the kiln is in cooldown, currently at 700F.

yeah its never made it to the top of my priority list... but covid has helped by giving me time to get things done around here, so who knows... now that the kid is going to kindergarten maybe working on tbricks upgrades again will happen soon.

cant wait for the clay!

yeah its never made it to the top of my priority list... but covid has helped by giving me time to get things done around here, so who knows... now that the kid is going to kindergarten maybe working on tbricks upgrades again will happen soon.

New cover car!?

I kid, I kid :lol:

Its not possible in vbulletin3 or vbulletin4 to resize hotlinked images from what I found googling. The solution is to upgrade the board to vb4 and allow uploaded images to everyone so people dont have to use hotlinks

U can save the link then reopen it in paint and reduce it to 640 width. If you then upload the reduced jpeg or PNG u just created to your share service and copy that link the URL will be of a uniform size. Its a pain but I do it so the pages look better. Put it in the rules and remove photos over the limit you set and it forces people to adhere to a format the ensures a better looking board. No body will like the rule but since the board is on bare minimum we have to work together to make it look good. How much additionally does the latest version of V bulletin run. Can we raise the cash as a group? That could be the answer to multiple complaints about implementing such a rule. Pay for the new board if were complaining right? Seems fair....

Regards
Hubert

Just idle curiosity...

Are you using a little phone that only displays so many pixels across,
so you have to scroll back and forth to see the whole image,
or do you have a Samsung "The Wall" TV that you use as a monitor,
and get whiplash moving your head back and forth?

1ed3e7c26cf7b5a1b7fddb8502eaaf7b.jpg

vs

samsung-292-inch-tv-indiatechadvice-1024x512.jpg

Well considering the 1024x768 days are what like over 20 years gone, I don't think the majority on here have any issues viewing threads with 640x360 photos...
Unless you are still using a CRT monitor or a tiny tiny phone...

The pictures aren't any cooler the larger they get after they are at a point you can clearly see them. 640x480 is more than enuf to see the subjects and keep a nice clean readable board. 1024 is certainly not dead when the smart phones snap shots at 4032 x 1908 requiring nearly an 85% reduction to stay within a 640 width limit.

Regards
Hubert

That's cool but who wants to go from one side of the earth to another to see a complete photo? Most boards limit that thus they look better and read much easier. The careless attitudes about it what leads to a goofy looking board. You have been here since 2016 but will you be here in 2039? Ive been on the board 18 years so I actually care about it. My suggestion was a simple fix but the mod has indicated that it isnt possible with our version of v bulletin. Will you be donating to the forum so we can get a new version? Then you wont have to care because its done automatically and were all happy. Members that are sharing photos that are enjoyed and easily viewable by others such as yourself are going through alot changes to do so.

Regards.
Hubert

Last edited:
Will you be donating to the forum so we can get a new version?

Wait, so he doesn't seem to care, so you're asking him if he'll donate? But you do care, made a thread about it, and don't have a blue 'donator' user name?

I don't have any issue donating cash but will my sole donation get the new version? If other members are coming along lets do it. Otherwise what would an additional sole donation do it if what been donated already hasn't fixed the issue? Im just 1.:) As that 1 who started this thread as you pointed out, I also PERSONALLY and laboriously format my own photos to be in compliance for the viewing pleasure of everybody, so I'm already making donations to a better looking board through real personal effort. Who else does and will? Id say hell yes I care coz I don't have to do that. And can I say that those who don't care less and also dont have their names highlighted in blue. Maybe that's why I care about it. Say what you may but trust me you don't want my 4032x1908 HD photos on your board. Ive been here even longer than you. If the denoting of blue handles wasn't implemented till 2020 technically u really may not know who has donated previously. They may not be a smurf. :lol:

Regards
Hubert

Last edited:
I've obviously donated more $$$ to this forum than you looking at our usernames.

I've learned almost all my Volvo knowledge from here (I started literally from 0) and I'm very grateful this place exists.

Please don't take it the wrong way and the last thing I want to do is to insult someone on here.
I've just given my honest opinion about the point you raised and that I don't think it's an actual issue that needs resolving since most modern Laptops or PC monitors use much higher display resolutions these days.

I'm not super concerned with it as it's not an easy fix and it will be replaced in the future anyway.
Ultimately, There are other things I need to be focusing on. But I welcome the suggestion, i do appreciate the input.

I'm not super concerned with it as it's not an easy fix and it will be replaced in the future anyway.
Ultimately, There are other things I need to be focusing on. But I welcome the suggestion, i do appreciate the input.

I wasnt slamming the moderation. I said that at the onstart. Every screen in my house is def high definition but what video card is on a standard laptop that runs at 4032 x 1908 resolution. Must be a special unit because that certainly is not common??? Do you want an original file of this size? Then you can show me with a snippet what it looks like on your screen. With this 2020 HP it looks horrible.

At the end of the day no one has to care but. Ill continue to post photos the hard way so you dont have to drive the cursor a million points to the right jsut to view what id like to show u.

Regards
Hubert

You could load them to Imgur, then just pic the size option when you copy the pic URL.

Upload once (you need to do this somewhere anyhow).

Small thumbnail:
YYEg0ent.jpg

Medium thumbnail:
YYEg0enm.jpg

Large thumbnail:
YYEg0enl.jpg

Huge thumbnail:
YYEg0enh.jpg

Original:
YYEg0en.jpg

And a couple of 'square' options as well:
YYEg0ens.jpg