• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

122 Battery Box Repair

PaddyGarcia

The battery box on my 122 is rusted out in the corners like just about every other Amazon. I've looked in the usual places for repair/replacement pieces but it looks like no one reproduces this deep-drawn piece.

Is there an easy way to fix the box? I've got floorpan pieces that could get made into a new box, but the curved corners look like a major PITA to do and I'm tempted to just use fiberglass...

The battery tray is 661309. GCP lists it as discontinued. You may want to try some of the Volvo restoration places like Skandix or CVI automotive, and VP autoparts. Susquehanna spares may have an old one around. Otherwise you gotta fix it on your own. If you aren't comfortable shaping sheet metal then the fiberglass is probably your path to repair.

Thanks for the part number - I had searched the vendors but that helped to verify NLA. Forgot about Susquehanna, thanks for that, too.

theyre NLA
I sold a few used ones but dont have any spares at the moment. Fiberglass option is only temporary and will cause rust to form under the glass.
get a cheap welder - hobart 140 and make something. Im sure you need floors too

take a welding class at your local place

get a cheap welder - hobart 140 and make something. Im sure you need floors too

"We all need floors down here" - Pennywise the Hobart 140 owner. You're right about glass, of course.

flintstones.jpg

Short of welding, fibreglass with an Epoxy resin will provide a good repair. The typical polyester resin sold in the auto store won’t stand up.

Epoxy resin is high in moisture resistance and adhesion.

battery box

I've made similar repairs using fiberglass cloth and POR 15 instead of resin.
It has held up with no further rusting for over 10 years.

I've made similar repairs using fiberglass cloth and POR 15 instead of resin.
It has held up with no further rusting for over 10 years.

I did the same thing. My battery box had a couple pin holes in one corner. I cut a couple 2 square inch pieces of fiberglass and layered it with POR 15. You can't even see the repair when the battery and firewall insulation is installed.

I would probably go with welding in steel if there are any larger holes that compromise its structure. Batteries are pretty heavy.

We actually have a NOS battery box. Unfortunately it's not for sale. My brother (planetman) took it to a local sheet metal fabrication shop today to see if they can make affordable repros.

122BatteryBox661309.jpg

Nice, hope that works out!

Joe @ Susquehanna says he has a good one and is to send pix, we'll see what comes up. If not I'll probably wimp out and ask the guys who are going to fabricate my EPAS steering column to build a flat (1800-style) box.

Back