• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

I think it?s Time for a Wagon 1988 740 Turbo

My heater hose actually got here today, which shocked me.

Doing all the rubber coolant hoses, along with the heater control valve, is probably a good idea. I didn't and paid the price, and paid the price again.

I've heard you can clean overflow tanks pretty well with 3:1 water and bleach along with something to agitate the surface of the tank (have seen rice as well as metal BBs mentioned)

They get brittle and crack at drain neck from flexing, replace don't clean

Okay that’s what I’ll do. I just wanted to make sure the new aftermarket ones weren’t known to be exceptionally horrible or something.

The stock starla system arrived from FCP today. Very impressed with the mufflers and hardware. I installed it this evening. So quiet compared with the old nasty rear muffler...

Now I need to decide if I want to cut up my dust shields to
Make the QSRCs fit or pass them on...

Now I need to decide if I want to cut up my dust shields to
Make the QSRCs fit or pass them on...

No way around this..... if your wagon is lowered more than 1.25 inches, per Ben, you benefit from the QSRCs. I'll testify they made a huge handling improvement with my lowering springs.

Great job with this car so far, nice to read about all your progress! I would rock it.

Glad to hear Starla is treating you well...

055fdab22f2162d34b223e7c8d5282e2.jpg

Not the nicest solution with respect to time spent working on the car, but you could pull the dust shields off completely and try the QSRCs to see if they're worthwhile. I'd suspect that they are, based on feedback others have provided, but have never tried them myself.

No way around this..... if your wagon is lowered more than 1.25 inches, per Ben, you benefit from the QSRCs. I'll testify they made a huge handling improvement with my lowering springs.

Yeah I'm sure it will make a huge difference and I'll ultimately make the right decision and go for it lol.

Great job with this car so far, nice to read about all your progress! I would rock it.

Glad to hear Starla is treating you well...

Haha that is a classic, thanks for the kind words!

Not the nicest solution with respect to time spent working on the car, but you could pull the dust shields off completely and try the QSRCs to see if they're worthwhile. I'd suspect that they are, based on feedback others have provided, but have never tried them myself.

That's probably the right way to do it. Really I'd like to have a spare set to modify and keep the originals as is. Like you say all that pulling the front end of the car apart to get to the shields a few times is very time consuming. From a quick glance around the internet my best bet is probably pulling a set of shields from the JY...

No photos to share but I wanted to flush the brakes since according to the records they hadn’t been since September of 2017. It went easy and really improved pedal feel.

I did it with the car on the ground and simply turned the front wheels to either side to access the nipples. The power steering system didn’t really seem to appreciate that. The car developed a shudder through the wheel on tight right turns at low rpm.

For some reason I didn’t replace the ps and alt belts when I did all that work on the front of the engine. The power steering fluid looked horrible. I starting flushing the reservoir with Type F ATF. It was pretty brown to begin and after a few flushes it was getting close to red. I replaced the belt as well. The alternator belt oriellys sold me was too long either because they messed up or since the denso pulley is marginally smaller than stock.

Either way I’ll be back there tomorrow to get a shorter belt (10x1000) and another quart of ATF so I can do a few more flushes.

When I started the car and turned the wheel back and forth in the garage it felt about a million times better so we will see!

as always nice work !

Thanks!

My do88 and IPD lower brace arrived yesterday.

After a few false starts at trimming the rubber on the mounts I got the intercooler installed

It’s a super nice piece, hoping it will be nice and covered in dirt by the time I have to smog so it doesn’t stick out at all.

The lower brace installed very easily as you would expect

On the shakedown run to the grocery store

Can’t wait to get it out for a longer drive to see what it is like

Clean!
Take it up to Camino Cielo for some fun curves :cool:

That?s on my to do list. A week from tomorrow I am taking it on Targa 805 up in Bradley, CA

On the grocery store run last night I noticed the defroster and sunroof switch lamps weren?t on. Emilia and I went to Orielly?s this evening and bought some sylvania 2721 replacements. Interior bulb replacement was a great way to introduce an 18 month old to the joys of working on cars

Let there be light:

I wish they had the little blue colors so the light matched the other switch lamps but this is beyond functional.

I?m starting to get excited about installing the QSRCs again (and cutting the dust shields) but at this point I might wait until after the rally.

My shifter seems to be moving around a lot more that it used to. I replaced the mount with a meyle HD unit from IPD. I didn’t do the rubber mount conversion until November. Is it possible that the meyle already failed? I pulled the cross member out last night to inspect and I could move the center part fore and aft with my fingers.

I have a Febi one on the way from FCP just in case.

Installed the new Febi unit and went for a test drive. The shifter still moves more than I would like when I hit bumps in the road but it doesn’t move around when I accelerate or brake like it had been doing. Glad I replaced it and I can’t believe it failed so quickly. Well I sorta can since the suspension is stiff and it lived part of its life with two ancient engine mounts as partners but still...

I took the opportunity to get a new coupler for the turbo to hot side ic pipe since the original was pretty mangled and oily:

So last night I went to leave town for the Targa805 and only made it about 8 miles. The car felt great heading up highway 154. As we crested the grade, I tapped the steering wheel and said ?nice work?. Immediately the car lost power, the rear wiper turned on and the radio had a bunch of static. After some tense minutes spent partially blocking a lane of the highway, I had the car towed home.

My wife wisely counseled me to take her Mazda3 and still go on the drive. Glad I did, great people roads, and cars.

Will need to spend some time diagnosing but thinking it might be the radio suppression relay, main fuel pump or coil?

Back