home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 04-20-2021, 10:27 PM   #26
KwikBrik245
Board Member

Default In Memoriam Ralph Reda

Yesterday I received news that Ralph, my good friend and the previous owner of this car took his life this past Friday. I spoke with him earlier that evening and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. We talked about my 740 build and his new Harley purchase. I have so much more to say but I can't find the words. He was my friend and in many ways my brother. This car had so much meaning before, and even more now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150830_130353.jpg (106.4 KB, 370 views)
File Type: jpg RESIZE.jpg (67.3 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg RESIZE2.jpg (103.0 KB, 366 views)

'88 744, Twin Turbo LS1/T56, Grizzly locked Dana 30.
KwikBrik245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:33 PM   #27
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I'm sorry to hear that

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:18 PM   #28
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles

Mike, my condolences.
All the more reason to finish the car out and use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast740fromSC
I am living proof that fetal alcohol syndrome is not that bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
the only problem with that is what you define as cheap and fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r
The incest is implied.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:53 PM   #29
Swedbrick
Board Member

My condolences Mike, that's an awful thing to go through.
Swedbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:16 PM   #30
J_Jones
Board Member

Damn buddy, sorry.
J_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:25 PM   #31
KwikBrik245
Board Member

Thank you all for the love. I am in the garage as we speak wrenching on the car.
I just noticed that my avatar pic is from the weekend that I met Ralph at Skatopia. I burned my 850 (the car I am jumping across) after the owner towed me for a victory lap after pulling me out from being stuck. The car smashed on a few things so we burned it. When in Rome, right? Ralph was from the same area and happened to be there with a mutual friend. He gave my passengers and I a ride back to Cleveland and the rest is history.

Mountain Meet 2021 or bust!!!!!
Old 05-05-2021, 07:01 PM   #32
KwikBrik245
Board Member

Default Party Time!

After a few months of having smoke blown up my ass about position in the engine dyno line, I decided to just get my engine back and just run it. I was really hoping to get some numbers before the turbos go back on. Oh well, I'd rather be able to drive the car this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54resize.JPG (149.3 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg 53resize.JPG (121.6 KB, 297 views)
Old 05-05-2021, 08:50 PM   #33
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwikBrik245 View Post
Mountain Meet 2021 or bust!!!!!
We need this kind of energy right about now.

Good to see you have the engine back.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:50 PM   #34
KwikBrik245
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbusman66 View Post
We need this kind of energy right about now.

Good to see you have the engine back.
Thanks, I am pumped to be back on track. Waiting on a new clutch kit then back in the car with the engine!!
Old 05-09-2021, 10:56 AM   #35
KwikBrik245
Board Member

Default Turbo Oil Drain Solution(s)

Since I will be running a proper oil system for the turbos now I grabbed a ICT billet twin -10 turbo drain timing cover. I slapped on my F-body location alternator and sure enough the driver side drain fitting is blocked by the Alt. There are plenty of options for relocating but they either have truck spacing or will hit my exhaust. I figure my best/least expensive option is to grab the bracket shown below and ditching the belt driven power steering pump for an electric pump. The Alt. would now sit in the old PS pump location, and I could mound the electric unit somewhere nice.

This seems to be the best solution so that I wont have to change passenger side wastegate location, or any of the intake plumbing. Also I won't have to buy all the parts/pieces to convert to truck spacing.

If any of you have any other ideas feel free to share!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56resize.JPG (91.8 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg 57resize.JPG (108.0 KB, 253 views)
File Type: png 55resize.png (120.8 KB, 254 views)
Old 05-11-2021, 11:25 AM   #36
240wagonguy
Board Member

there's brackets to put the alt on the upper passenger side as well. then you can keep the power steering pump in the stock location.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:56 AM   #37
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I'm using Corvette front end accessories, so there wasn't any room behind the pulley for drains. I ended up just using a surge tank, pump, and dumping it back into the valve cover using an oil cap with a fitting.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:47 PM   #38
KwikBrik245
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240wagonguy View Post
there's brackets to put the alt on the upper passenger side as well. then you can keep the power steering pump in the stock location.
I explored that option, but based on the measurements my passenger side wastegate off the header will be in the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
I'm using Corvette front end accessories, so there wasn't any room behind the pulley for drains. I ended up just using a surge tank, pump, and dumping it back into the valve cover using an oil cap with a fitting.
I am running the F-body accessory spacing with the ICT twin drain timing cover. I have converted to an electric pump before on a former car and I wouldn't mind throwing the alternator in the P/S pump location and mounting a electric P/S pump in a remote location. That sounds like a sweet setup though.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:49 PM   #39
KwikBrik245
Board Member

Default Electric power steering pump

After doing a bit of research, the electric pump setup from a s40 looks to be the best option for me. The dimensions will work well to tuck behind the driver side headlight, they are pretty inexpensive, and Volvo! haha
Waiting on my clutch to get here so I can put the engine back in, and I will be ordering the alternator relocation kit shortly. I was pretty shocked to see how widely used the Volvo electric pumps are used in other cars.

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...RoCG0cQAvD_BwE
Old 05-16-2021, 07:12 PM   #40
Swedbrick
Board Member

Yeah the s40 pump is pretty rad for a daily, you can also find them in the v50. I had my eyes on this one for a while as it has all the wiring connections:
https://focusautomotive.nl/onderdele...achtiging+pomp

I was considering it recently as a replacement for my PS pump looking at Speedflow fittings for the custom hose. You'll need either a 14mm or 16mm bump style fitting from what I could find, and running straight to AN adapter fittings from the rack was the cheapest option I could find in comparison to the AN banjo's. Some mustang guy did a great writeup here:
https://www.corral.net/threads/volvo...te-up.2499503/

I opted to stick with mechanical pumps, as most track/drift/autocross usage overheats the pump and damages it quickly as it will run in 80% duty cycle safe mode when connected without CAN-bus. The packaging should be great for a drag car though, and you can always grab a spare from the junkyard with the loom, as the volvo connectors are expensive/hard to find.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:28 PM   #41
KwikBrik245
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedbrick View Post
Yeah the s40 pump is pretty rad for a daily, you can also find them in the v50. I had my eyes on this one for a while as it has all the wiring connections:
https://focusautomotive.nl/onderdele...achtiging+pomp

I was considering it recently as a replacement for my PS pump looking at Speedflow fittings for the custom hose. You'll need either a 14mm or 16mm bump style fitting from what I could find, and running straight to AN adapter fittings from the rack was the cheapest option I could find in comparison to the AN banjo's. Some mustang guy did a great writeup here:
https://www.corral.net/threads/volvo...te-up.2499503/

I opted to stick with mechanical pumps, as most track/drift/autocross usage overheats the pump and damages it quickly as it will run in 80% duty cycle safe mode when connected without CAN-bus. The packaging should be great for a drag car though, and you can always grab a spare from the junkyard with the loom, as the volvo connectors are expensive/hard to find.

Thanks for the info! Is the issue with the pump overheating a fluid temperature issue, or is it internal to the pump motor?
Old 05-16-2021, 09:38 PM   #42
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:

Where did you hear this? I was considering using one of them in our lemons car but if its going to be in some high usage default mode... i might try to find a different option.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:45 AM   #43
Swedbrick
Board Member

Post #29 on the Mustang site I linked gave some insight, as do several other sources:
A number of guys who do HPDE or autocross on the FB groups have stated they have begun to move away from the volvo electric pumps. In this application the pump is operating in failsafe mode, and the main complaint is that it cannot keep up during quick steering movements.

I looked into it for a while and did buy a pump, however in the end it seemed like a novelty, or more suited for street cars. I know the Coyote swap guys are crazy over it, but if you plan on performance driving you may was to do your due diligence and maybe consider other options.

Taylor ray also did a video on these pumps for his Grassroots drift miata with a ls swap and ran into similar issues. He explains at the end of the video:
https://youtu.be/W85qCWtJhi8

From what I've read mercedes/mini pumps have similar issues without can bus connected, but I haven't researched a lot into those yet. The Volvo pumps seem to be a go-to for coyote swaps, so for straight line stuff they should be alright
Old 05-17-2021, 06:55 PM   #44
KwikBrik245
Board Member

Quote:
Post #29 on the Mustang site I linked gave some insight, as do several other sources:
A number of guys who do HPDE or autocross on the FB groups have stated they have begun to move away from the volvo electric pumps. In this application the pump is operating in failsafe mode, and the main complaint is that it cannot keep up during quick steering movements.

I looked into it for a while and did buy a pump, however in the end it seemed like a novelty, or more suited for street cars. I know the Coyote swap guys are crazy over it, but if you plan on performance driving you may was to do your due diligence and maybe consider other options.

Taylor ray also did a video on these pumps for his Grassroots drift miata with a ls swap and ran into similar issues. He explains at the end of the video:
https://youtu.be/W85qCWtJhi8

From what I've read mercedes/mini pumps have similar issues without can bus connected, but I haven't researched a lot into those yet. The Volvo pumps seem to be a go-to for coyote swaps, so for straight line stuff they should be alright

Thanks again for the great info. Part of me wants to find out if the Volvo pump will suit my needs, and the other part just wants to get the Mercedes unit and be done with it.
Will you be attending the next virtual meet?

After watching the video, I believe he may have created his own problems by mounting it in the trunk. Friction loss of the hydraulic fluid over that distance is probably pretty hard on that pump. From an electrical standpoint being that close to the battery may be nice. I just think the distance (even for a miata) is too much for that little pump, and who knows what turns in the lines w didn't see.

I think I may be ok as I will mount it fairly close to the rack.

Last edited by KwikBrik245; 05-17-2021 at 07:28 PM..
Old 05-18-2021, 04:28 AM   #45
Swedbrick
Board Member

Yes I'll try to join in for the next meet, my car is headed for government inspection that week, so hopefully I'll have some good news

The lines might be the clue then, he also put it in his rx7 with shorter lines I just saw when googling some more. Maybe his second review is better, you could probably send him a message on Instagram, he is still small enough to keep up with those
Old 05-20-2021, 08:29 PM   #46
KwikBrik245
Board Member

Quote:
Yes I'll try to join in for the next meet, my car is headed for government inspection that week, so hopefully I'll have some good news

The lines might be the clue then, he also put it in his rx7 with shorter lines I just saw when googling some more. Maybe his second review is better, you could probably send him a message on Instagram, he is still small enough to keep up with those
Best of luck on the inspection.
I will check that video out after I make some dinner tonight.

Clutch came yesterday. I plan on having the engine back in by the end of the weekend. Still waiting on a couple pieces for the fuel system. Other than that, things should start coming together fairly quickly.
Old 05-23-2021, 05:58 PM   #47
KwikBrik245
Board Member

Default In-tank pump

Today I pretty much finished up the In tank pump setup. I want to add a rubber isolator to the top of the pump, but other than that I am satisfied with the outcome. Also picked up this barely used Drill press for $80.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59resize.JPG (88.1 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 60resize.JPG (111.2 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 61resize.JPG (120.6 KB, 124 views)
Old 06-28-2021, 10:17 PM   #48
KwikBrik245
Board Member

Default The Engine is in!

Put in some work this past weekend. Installed the new rotors and pads. Installed the engine as well. Now its time to clean up more wiring. I just ordered the alternator relocation kit from Dirty Dingo and will be mounting a s40 electric power steering pump. shortly after. Tomorrow I will figure out where the FPR will be living and how/where I will be routing the spark plug wires through the firewall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62resize.JPG (108.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 64resize.JPG (110.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 66resize.JPG (109.9 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 68resize.JPG (107.6 KB, 83 views)
Old 06-29-2021, 07:37 PM   #49
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Interesting fuel pump setup, looks easier than what I did. Great score on the drill press! I am still "storing" one for a friend who had no place for it 15 years ago.
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:17 PM   #50
KwikBrik245
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
Interesting fuel pump setup, looks easier than what I did. Great score on the drill press! I am still "storing" one for a friend who had no place for it 15 years ago.
I will be upgrading the wiring with a bulkhead setup. I only plan on running around 600whp on pump gas so no need for a dual pump setup yet. The car was low 500whp with factory in-tank pump feeding a 350lph inline so I should be good long enough to work out the kinks. I plan on road tripping the car so I am trying to keep it as simple as possible.

My soft deadline is July 10th. However, I'm not too sure if I will make it.