• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Spartan Locker Helical LSD Dana 30 27 Spline

ottomotto

Hi!

Anybody tried this torsen style locker in their volvo 240 RWD?
Thing is the price is more attractive then Detroit Locker.
But some websites say it's designed for Dana 30 front axel ( Jeep's and so on) and having this locker in the rear may cause accelerated wear.

For a rear application, you will have to take the center section apart and flip all of the internals left-side to right-side. Otherwise you will have a "low-preload" rear diff and it won't work that great.

I have zero experience with that exact diff, and it looks like you can't run a speedo ring on it either.

Also what is the intended use? Lunchbox lockers tend to be decent off road and for drag racing, but not so much for road racing/autocross

So, guys, manufacturer replied, that this is strictly for Jeep's and other Dana 30 front drive because it is designed concerning the shaft rotation on the front drive the is opposite to the rear drive. It is possible to apply to rear drive but just because it is designed for front drive it'll just wear out quickly and damage.
This is what I've understood.

Truetrac 912a588 is what you want. High bias angle on the helicals. Works with any volvo ratio.
Summit has the best price i have seen.
Anything cheaper will be a front application, much weaker anti-spin action.

Truetrac 912a588 is what you want. High bias angle on the helicals. Works with any volvo ratio.
Summit has the best price i have seen.
Anything cheaper will be a front application, much weaker anti-spin action.

Summit says it will not fit 1978 volvo 240. Maybe it is because this truetrac is for 1.16" halfshaft, and the early volvos 240 have 1.15"? But I don't know for sure, just guessing.

Maybe you happen to know?

Thanks.

I'm not sure about the size of the different half shafts but the splined end of the shaft that goes into the carrier is the same.

That catalog does show that the Jeep axle shaft diameter is 1.16" and the Volvo is 1.15". What's up with that?

The early 3-bolt case version for front of a jeep. There was a group buy. 398 was the last 3 digits of the part number. Then we used the 411 suffix, high pre-load for RWD. Still a softer case with 3 case bolts.
The newest ones have a harder case and 6 (3 pairs) of case bolts.

I have a spartan on my 245 and its loud and clunky but gets the job done. Nice alternative to welding the diff.

Back