• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Oil pan protection?

Rai Ferrule

I was racing rallycross recently and put a pretty good dent in my oil pan of my 1989 240 sedan (+t but otherwise pretty stock). I think it happened at a transition between dirt and pavement where the front end got a little light and came down hard.
I am running in IPD skid plate and a pair of Yoshifab lower braces, which obviously don't provide enough protection for the oil pan.

I haven't been able to find a commercial product that extends it back to cover the oil pan. I was curious if anybody has found one, made one, or know of any for sale?
Is there any other solution (other than driving slower) that I'm missing to protect the oil pan in future rallycross events?

You’ll probably want a custom made 1/4” (or 3/16”) aluminum skid plate that extends all the way back to the front control arm mounts.

I think LMR (?) in Sweden was selling rally skid plates as well. Would be about $400-$500 including shipping.

Dave Clark Motorsports in the Seattle area can build you a rally skid plate FYI.

Another idea (untested by me on a volvo) is welding a plate on the bottom of the pan, with a cutout for the drain plug, and edges that wrap around a bit.

Another idea (untested by me on a volvo) is welding a plate on the bottom of the pan, with a cutout for the drain plug, and edges that wrap around a bit.

That's a good idea, why not have extensions welded to the IPD pan? Or a double layer that is larger than the original pan.

Keep in mind, that a beefier skid plate, or plates welded to the pan will make it easier to hit (reduced clearance), and a hard enough hit will transfer through to damage the pan anyway. BTDT.

Not sure if this is any help, some years ago I made this for my 740 with the idea that I should be able to rest the car on it. Pictures don't quite tell but the bar is rather thick in the corner.
The screws hold it up and in place, but the bar itself rests against the eeeeh how do I even, the euhm the bar across that holds the engine and the one holding the gearbox.
Not rally, I was out in the woods sneaking about, trying out my lift and locker.
AM-JKLVAku08C9puYwazSBYMF7zo12WyB1V_ZXmYdvGRAlzkUaeD_yXONe-khzDqZSPRFUm4tX_ET9dO6XjpMICkauAAqK8usKim9JYWGfO-gBe6HyHPIMVIim3hsA7xVbb8Rj86W8kyrRyEqc2aHQqOWK9L=w547-h971-no

AM-JKLUKqO4_SqLYeGEMQjmGM0vVUl1LKfIRlOZhPIRIo_MzvncMyydSXYfzyULcg8nSONMk1oGFYCcnPogJgPAPH_O_DofM9oDKtmvhQo_2brqD2sZeCCpFBHgDHxmlvNTPygYdrc0XriEmz3Y5BuUTpy1R=w1727-h971-no

AM-JKLX50LN9R5yYPdiDpxUgZ5YBxZOihL5Chx_U1xZxIEeK4n0rQwpZUDWhiesnFemKFrYKIJqCY_1IYDo5Who0D43xtfA8T-WmonptsbkfoHQhh4oBqxQnotA6UMdVhV9Q66XVpLNcNAfRCArjQKoO_qVo=w1727-h971-no

Sorry for the large images, not sure how to set size when I link from google photos.

Back