• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Anybody use flowmaster mufflers?

I used a 2.5" flowmaster on my turbo and it was louder than I'd like but the real fail was the internal deflector coming loose and making a horrible screeching sound as it moved around inside. Upgraded to a Dynamax Ultra Flow SS and enjoyed that till I went up to 3" Magnaflow.

Any aftermarket round or oval can “turbo” muffler. They will have no baffles, some sort of packing, and will have the least amount of drone on a 4cyl engine.

I’ve used flowmaster and other chamber style mufflers on multiple 4cyl cars, they all sound terrible.

Yeah I know they?re not really 4cyl mufflers but I have two collecting dust after I straight piped my buddys challenger and thought I might give it a go if anyone else has, I have a couple cherry bombs but I?ve never liked how those sound on smaller engines

Use a Cherry Bomb in the middle and the Flowmaster at the end. Or the other way around.

You don't say how big the Cherry Bombs are, but another thing you can do is split the exhaust into two pipes and install one Cherry Bomb towards the beginning and the other towards the end then recombine the exhaust. The 2 un-equal lengths will help prevent drone. It's basically tuning the pipe for two different resonances and they each have louder and softer RPM ranges. The trick is to make them out of sync with each other so the overall volume stays similar.

All of this ****ery may be too much to fit under the car, but it does work. An exhaust system is basically a big trombone.

My main goal is to find a setup that’s somewhat quiet at idle/putting around but hollers when I step on it, my neighborhood is all old folks and I leave for work early in the morning so I doubt they’d enjoy hearing me fire up cherry bombs every morning. If I can’t find something like that I’m just gonna slap a cutout on the down pipe and just dump slightly under the firewall. I side dumped my buddys 740t right underneath the rear door and all it had was a blown out cat, it wasn’t obnoxiously loud even when stepping on it but it sounded like a straight up tractor. Didn’t drone though, iirc the exhaust was the original 2inch pipe and then after the cat I upped to 2.5inch, gave it a little throaty tone but we were just dicking around

Use a Cherry Bomb in the middle and the Flowmaster at the end. Or the other way around.

You don't say how big the Cherry Bombs are, but another thing you can do is split the exhaust into two pipes and install one Cherry Bomb towards the beginning and the other towards the end then recombine the exhaust. The 2 un-equal lengths will help prevent drone. It's basically tuning the pipe for two different resonances and they each have louder and softer RPM ranges. The trick is to make them out of sync with each other so the overall volume stays similar.

All of this ****ery may be too much to fit under the car, but it does work. An exhaust system is basically a big trombone.

I like the uneven pipe idea, might experiment with that a bit on my b21f. Exhaust has more leaks than a wicker basket so gives me an excuse to dick around with it

Back