• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rear suspension ?jump?

DaveD

92 240 drift car m52 turbo, zf, 8.8, gutted and caged

450# front spring
25mm sway
Koni single adjustable

280# rear spring
Stock sway
Summit short shocks

245/40/17 @20psi

We have a ?bump? in the track when I go over it the rear tires of the car literally come two inches off the ground. Need softer springs? Better shocks? More travel?

get 200# springs for a 400# wheel rate (if your trailing arms are stock length) and get shocks valved to suit. I'm assuming that everything else in the suspension is more or less stock or adjustable to account for changes in geometry from it being so low?

Probably just less compression damping and more rebound damping. Are the Summit shocks adjustable? My guess is that they aren't well matched to the rear springs.

Did you hang the 8.8 on the stock Volvo trailing arms? If so the rear effective spring rate is 420 (nice) actual.

In that case work with a rule of thumb motion ratio of 2:1 for your springs and have shocks to match it. Look into GAZ as they make them in whatever length and valving you want. I would for sure soften the springs also as that should improve traction.

280# rear spring
Stock sway
Summit short shocks

240 rear suspension is very odd and not conventional when it comes to springs and shocks.
The spring motion ratio is ~1.5 , and the shock is like 0.75. So you need a soft spring and a very stiff rear shock.

Do you have a link to the shocks that you are using? You probably want a digressively valved shock. Something like the GAZ single adjustable from YoshiFab or Classic Swede would be better matched for what you're doing, or some koni adjustables that would match the fronts.

My drift 240 is set up a bit different than yours, and probably has a higher ride height which allows me to get away with softer springs. I use 250# front springs (bilstein HDs) and only 150# rear (gabriel ultra shocks). Large IPD front sway, and no rear bar.

You're car is pretty low, and you're on what looks like a bumpy track. It looks like the tire sidewalls are doing most of the suspension in the rear as well, AKA your springs and shocks aren't doing much. Raising up the car and going to softer springs is going to increase your grip all around the track.

In my experience, ditching the sway bar makes the car feel weird. I’d run a 16mm from a wagon, maybe step up to a 19mm if it pushes

Totally forgot to mention this jumping spectacle sheared both torque rod bolts off the top of the axle once.

AKtdSAW.jpg

Last edited:
I'd keep the sway bar in the rear. In fact don't you want more sway in the rear and less in the front for doriftos?

I'm pretty sure your rear spring/shock combo just doesn't work. Bolbos are weird that way.

More travel and maybe a little softer springs in the backend.

How is it on other less bumpy tracks?

I'd keep the sway bar in the rear. In fact don't you want more sway in the rear and less in the front for doriftos?

Depends what you want the car to do. If you're just starting out and want to be sideways, a rear bar and 60psi in the tires is fun. But then you can't drive fast in drift, and you're always trying to keep the car from spinning.

I like to have no rear bar because my car is set up to accelerate in drift and have maximum drive grip. It's really fun, but it takes some getting used to as you have to be more aggressive on drift initiation.

I feel like I could use more grip, in chase I get pulled on out of corners unless I’m on point and pedaling for grip.

I feel like I could use more grip, in chase I get pulled on out of corners unless I?m on point and pedaling for grip.

Yep, this is exactly what caused me to start searching for rear grip.

With a solid rear axle you can't have any real amount of toe-in on the rear, so you loose a lot of grip in drift compared to a other platforms (I'm looking at you e36/46).

It?s already fast in drift, just a lot of pedaling with ~400whp. 200lb springs and no bar should be a rocket ship?

Back