home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > article composition > the vault

Old 06-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #501
miguel.760ti
Board Member

Am I the only one that is running the 940/960 fan on the earlier rad setup? I have that + NPR and have about 1/2" of clearance between the back of the fan motor and water pump pulley. (granted it's not much room but as long as your fan & shroud are secure it's not going anywhere)

1988 760 Turbo - garage queen, everlasting project
also
2016 Ford Fiesta ST - size small daily
1995 Ford F150 - size large daily
miguel.760ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #502
doucheNozzle

Some people have the thicker 3 row Rad

'93 944 T - #TrophyVo
'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'11 XC90 V8 - Torque Monster
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #503
WindowsBreakerG4
ALDORF THE DESTROYER OF WHITE SHIRTS

Yea it def didn't fit with my triple row and no NPR.
She was pretty damn hot. And she folded my clothes and made me breakfast in bed
Towery wants to get me drunk but doug already is. Don't trust a drunk Towery he will slip you the old stiff one eye

I AM ALDORF THE DESTROYER
1985 744ti M46 -3rd, 15g, 3" exhaust, Ported Head, 333,333 miles
91 945 Turbo 3 pedal auto, DD
83 242 Turbo Flathood
15 Golf TDI 6 Speed

Doug <3 me. Not scottyd. doug was here again
WindowsBreakerG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:07 AM   #504
HonestJhon
Board Member

i dont have the three row radiator (stock nissens) and the 960 fans dont fit in my car. can you show me a picture of how everything sits in your car?
HonestJhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:14 AM   #505
Ansel+
ABG

I can fit a 940 efan, npr, and nissens 3 row.

Then again I have a 240...

edit: just got a NIB 87/92 sensor at a garage sale for free, fits the saab threads!

Last edited by Ansel+; 06-23-2012 at 09:26 PM..
Ansel+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #506
Ursan
Bored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestJhon View Post
i dont have the three row radiator (stock nissens) and the 960 fans dont fit in my car. can you show me a picture of how everything sits in your car?

On a 7xx I initially did it like this:

I just cut the 92+ shroud down and riveted it back to fit the radiator.

When that didn't work, I just took the fan out of that stock shroud and mounted it within the stock mechanical shroud.

Been that way for 4 years, works quite well. (click to enlarge)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel.760ti View Post
Am I the only one that is running the 940/960 fan on the earlier rad setup? I have that + NPR and have about 1/2" of clearance between the back of the fan motor and water pump pulley. (granted it's not much room but as long as your fan & shroud are secure it's not going anywhere)
Same here. No issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedn_j View Post
So I’m a racist big deal who cares. Deal with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro_star View Post
I can see how thats a good idea if you ride her hard

1990 780t Kind of Modded 1994 945t Pegz, Tintz, Hidz.
"Rear Wheel Drive, the way God intended. If a car is being pulled from the front, doesn't that mean it's being towed?"

"Lister, you are a polyp on the anus of society." - A.J. Rimmer
Ursan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #507
HonestJhon
Board Member

maybe i'll give it another go...?
Old 07-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #508
HonestJhon
Board Member

and thats basically how i mounted my flexalite lowboy 16" ...in the stock mechanical fan shroud. looks nice and clean...and its rock solid.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #509
Krepotkin
Busy Mooseterbating

Guess I posted in the wrong thread - Does anyone make an aftermarket pulley that is lower-profile?
Krepotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #510
Simi
Upsetti Spaghetti

I have a nissens 3 core radiator with a thermostat built into it. Now the thing is it is a 1 speed plug while my 940 fan has 2 speeds. I was wondering if you guys ever put in a thermostat with 2 speeds, I pulled one from an Audi, but I couldn't find a 3 core rad like mine in the JY to test fit it.
1991 940SE - SOLD
1995 850 T5-R - SOLD
1991 740 Turbo - SOLD
1987 240 - Crushed
1989 740 "Satan"
1987 760 Turbo

Leave Me Feedback
Simi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #511
tryingbe
Boosting along.

Just set up the high speed fan and be done with it.

Low speed fan was used with a/c to prevent the radiator gets too cool.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #512
Simi
Upsetti Spaghetti

I did, it just draws a lot of power, then shuts off. If I could hook up both, then the engine would run cooler.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #513
tryingbe
Boosting along.

Upgrade to 100amp alternator if you haven't.

You don't want to fan to run constantly, unless you have working a/c. It's more efficient for it to turn on when it needs and turn off when it doesn't.
tryingbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #514
Simi
Upsetti Spaghetti

Well, how would I wire the low speed to my AC?
Old 08-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #515
HonestJhon
Board Member

Tie into the AC compressor's electric clutch signal
Old 08-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #516
miguel.760ti
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi View Post
Well, how would I wire the low speed to my AC?
I used a secondary relay controlled by the 12v wire that goes to the compressor clutch.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #517
vvpete
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
Just set up the high speed fan and be done with it.

Low speed fan was used with a/c to prevent the radiator gets too cool.
It is the opposite. Not any of the 700/900/850 cars have the high speed set up to cool the engine under normal conditions, only for excessive over temp conditions.

Low speed for normal engine cooling from the temp switch (or CTS thru the ECU) and high speed from the a/c pressure switch and/or over/excessive temp sensor in the radiator (wired in parallel)

Having the high speed cycle for normal cooling will run large spikes of current going on/off all the time. The 2-stage power control fan relay is designed to reduce start current going from low to high, not from not on to hi speed. It will wreak havoc on your charging system if you wire it this way, as will not using switched power to the relay so the fan has run-on when the car is off.

This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
The downside to running straight high speed over using the low speed first is that it puts a pretty good strain on the wiring/relay/fuse when it goes from being off to high speed. It may not be a big deal, but still.
I don't live in a hot climate, but all new Volvos come only with e-fans that are NOT on all the time. If you use the A/C, the fans will typically run, but not even all the time, still.

I've had my 245 set up this way for 7 yrs and 140k miles works flawlessly, and that is for 100+ deg Texas & NM summer heat.
vvpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #518
Simi
Upsetti Spaghetti

I dunno if I should just run a ground to a switch in the dash for a low speed or try to screw in the 2 speed audi temp switch, I just have no idea if it will fit.

Anyway I did do an interesting conversion that required no drilling on the fan.

I used a set of straight sliding brackets, I modified 4 of them to fit which were about 1 3/4 inches long.

I rotated the fan, which had 5 holes, to where the two open and two closed holes were parallel to each other left to right. I took four washers, four lock washers, bolts and nuts and used those to mount the fan to the brackets.

I then drilled into the fan shroud, at the four end points, and ran nuts and bolts through them to the brackets, using four washers, lock washers as well.

I made sure to center the fan in the shroud, since they were sliding brackets, tightening them down.

From there I taped off the gap between the fan and the shroud, filling in the cracks with housing insulation.

And then I was done, mounted up the whole thing and hooked it up to the relay.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #519
miguel.760ti
Board Member

That foam **** is gonna disintegrate and make a mess
Old 08-15-2012, 01:20 AM   #520
Simi
Upsetti Spaghetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel.760ti View Post
That foam **** is gonna disintegrate and make a mess
It's ran like this for a week and a half so far without issues, though I do not know the actual melting temp of the foam.

Hopefully I won't find out...
Old 08-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #521
miguel.760ti
Board Member

What stuff did you use? If it's the fire rated stuff, it's a safe bet that it won't come off, but the other **** gets brittle the older it gets
Old 08-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #522
mickeys240
Board Member

Not a bad job. But if you don't want to end up on redneck.com or the CMT channel. Then do this:

Get a can of Black spray paint for about a buck and get a box cutter from the dollar tree in the 3 pack with the extendable blades.

Trim of the stuff so it looks flush.

Then paint it over.

100% cosmetic. And will look like it was stock.

If you never plan on showing of your ride. Don't worry about it. Call it a day and be happy.

About how you wire in your fan. Try to use the audi temp switch. If you can't. Then go with another way of making automatic unless you plan to be the only one driving the car. And have a good memory to turn it off when the car is off. Or make the really only function when the car is on the ACC/on position. That will prevent a dead battery.

If you ask me Killer job man. The heat should not bother the foam. And it should last for many years.

" · · ·- -- ·- - ·- · · ·- - · - "
mickeys240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #523
Simi
Upsetti Spaghetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeys240 View Post
Not a bad job. But if you don't want to end up on redneck.com or the CMT channel. Then do this:

Get a can of Black spray paint for about a buck and get a box cutter from the dollar tree in the 3 pack with the extendable blades.

Then paint it over.

If you never plan on showing of your ride. Don't worry about it. Call it a day and be happy.

About how you wire in your fan. Try to use the audi temp switch. If you can't. Then go with another way of making automatic unless you plan to be the only one driving the car. And have a good memory to turn it off when the car is off. Or make the really only function when the car is on the ACC/on position. That will prevent a dead battery.

If you ask me Killer job man. The heat should not bother the foam. And it should last for many years.
I'll try it, Has anyone used a 2 speed switch before in place of the single speed?

I have the Nissens that uses the screw in type, only thing is that I couldn't find another one with a screw in switch.

Like this one:

Which I have this one to put in

I know that low speed was meant for A/C and whatever but I still want to do it this way, it should keep my engine bay at a more constant temp while not drawing a ton of power at one time.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #524
Danyul
Board Member

For a thermostat, are you guys running a radiator probe or a thread in type thermostat? Which one did you use and where did you put it at? My fan is going into an '85 NA 240. I also pulled a fan off of a 95 Buick Century, so I'll need to hurry and get this done to see if I need to exchange the fan in case it doesn't fit.
Danyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #525
thebornotaku
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeys240 View Post

Then paint it over.

My old e-fan used a wire to the ign coil for the positive side of the relay. Turn car off, relay turns off. Only problem was that the relays I used were old JY relays and mounted in such a way that after about 2-3 months, the relays would stick on and you'd have to bang on the hood...

I've since switched to a proper Volvo e-fan setup from a 940.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyul View Post
For a thermostat, are you guys running a radiator probe or a thread in type thermostat? Which one did you use and where did you put it at? My fan is going into an '85 NA 240. I also pulled a fan off of a 95 Buick Century, so I'll need to hurry and get this done to see if I need to exchange the fan in case it doesn't fit.
I'm running mine in a Saab T-fitting in the upper hose but I'm also dumb. Run it in the lower hose, trust me.

Bret runs a radiator thread-in thermostat and it works well for him. I like my T-fitting, even though it would be better suited in another spot; the engine temperature never goes more than halfway up the gauge, and with the air-dam pickup scoop thing, the fan never even kicks on when I'm on the highway. Only when I'm stationary, and that's when you want it anyways.
thebornotaku is offline   Reply With Quote