• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Wasp nests in 740

DavePolyakov

There are two visible hives (maybe there's more) with active wasps that I just noticed today. They were both on the passenger's side door jams. I noticed a wasp land on the door and walk through the panel gap into the car. I opened the door and saw the hives.

Does anyone have tips for getting rid of these suckers?

When I was a kid we had a greyhound that ate a bee once. Maybe lots of greyhounds?

In all seriousness, I’d try a foaming spray like Terro or a wasp powder. Cover yourself up and wait until after nightfall to treat them.

A brother of mine recently eliminated a large hornets’ nest by sealing it off with a contractor bag after dark. I get the feeling this can go horribly wrong.

Or just call an exterminator. I hear wasps can survive most crushers, so they’re probably pretty resilient.

Last edited:
Once slid a 7 gallon pool chem bucket over a whitefaced hornet nest, clipped of the branch, popped on lid, and ran. Was way after dark, and ran away despite wearing a bee suit. Snuck back an hour later, and carried the tempest in a buck to a freezer, and waited 2 weeks before opening it. Felt like disarming a nuke.

I knocked the two hives down to the ground with a stick. They weren't that big hives and I've only seen about 10 wasps at once so I hope it was just these two nests. I then just used household cleaner to clean the residue from the nests that were left on the door jams. I'm thinking maybe I can cover the door seals with tape and try to seal them out? Or seal them in if there's inside then just wait for them to die.
It seems that pure peppermint oil is a good natural deterrent that can just be applied to the door jams with a cotton ball. I'm going to do this and hope that they don't come back. It's messed up to think I was sleeping in this car the last six days because the floors were getting refinished in our house. They must have been sleeping at night:lol:

I use eco smart wasp killer. Drops them right out of the air and won't kill you or your pets. You keep wasp nests from coming back by driving the car. If it's not driving then you'll need the deterrent like the peppermint oil.

I fixed my turbo oil drain leak by cutting the metal tube in half and putting in a rubber hose. It's a 15g so it's hard to clock perfectly to make the metal hard line fit. Now I will be driving it more often!

I fixed my turbo oil drain leak by cutting the metal tube in half and putting in a rubber hose. It's a 15g so it's hard to clock perfectly to make the metal hard line fit. Now I will be driving it more often!

I?m no proctologist but I have reason to believe that this will keep the wasps at bay.

It's been a few days since I knocked the two nests down. I have not seen any more wasps and have not used any deterrent. Not interested in buying peppermint oil unless they come back.

Back