• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

IPD Camshaft install FAIL?

Did you both use a high EP cam lube, fill the oil wells with oil, and break the cam in?
Even running used shims on a new cam is questionable.

Stiggy - Did the RSI cam have a dark coating on the lobes before you installed it?

I used Driven assembly lube buttered on the cam, then did the typical ~2k/20min break in cycle with Driven BR30 break in oil, did one more cycle then dumped, changed filter and ran my usual Redline. Brand new set of buckets every time (gets expensive!) I did not pour any oil into the head though. That was my third brand new RSI cam broken in that way and the first to be problematic.

Yeah it did have kind of a dark finish to it, never really thought about that.

I used Driven assembly lube buttered on the cam, then did the typical ~2k/20min break in cycle with Driven BR30 break in oil, did one more cycle then dumped, changed filter and ran my usual Redline. Brand new set of buckets every time (gets expensive!) I did not pour any oil into the head though. That was my third brand new RSI cam broken in that way and the first to be problematic.

Yeah it did have kind of a dark finish to it, never really thought about that.

Sounds like you did just about everything that you could to help with the cam break-in.

Sounds like you did just about everything that you could to help with the cam break-in.

And at this point I expect the machine shop to call and say "the head looks fine what do you want us to do with it." Maybe I'll wrap the lobes in $100's when I break in the Erland cam :lol:

I bought an IPD billet turbo cam 11/2020 and have 3 days of racing on it. I shimmed it to specs, but I did not replace anything other than 3 shims. I'll take a look.

IPD also lists the cams as "billet". I'm not sure if they're actually made from a billet of steel or if it's a chilled billet casting. I can't think of any billet steel that would work well in a sliding friction application (cam lobe and flat tappet, roller is ok), unless it was hardened and used a coating.

Forgot to add that I highly doubt the IPD cams are made from a billet in that sense... otherwise we'd have a lot more of these threads! Supertech actually has a big warning label on the cam follower boxes stating you can't run them with a true "billet" cam unless things are DLC coated.

I'm with Tate...really curious to see the dyno comparison. Got a friend with a stage 3, said it feels better up top, but it idles like garbage. Even the stage 2 I rode in at one point just didn't seem all that hot.

Forgot to add that I highly doubt the IPD cams are made from a billet in that sense... otherwise we'd have a lot more of these threads! Supertech actually has a big warning label on the cam follower boxes stating you can't run them with a true "billet" cam unless things are DLC coated.

In their three minute youtube IPD claims the cams are made from carbon steel billet.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kSntEyH4KTg" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

well I'll be damned! I'll tell you what after weeks and weeks of back-and-forth to Sweden I wish IPD made a cam with a little more balls on it that I could just put in a shopping cart...

In their three minute youtube IPD claims the cams are made from carbon steel billet.

Which means it could be any steel, since the definition of steel is iron+carbon.

What's weird is that the website and video show a coated cam, but the two I've purchased and installed were not coated at all. Just machined and ground.
You can also see an uncoated cam in the failure from leecatd8209 as well, but not discernable in the OPs pictures.

I always wondered why ipd could offer these at half the price of the Swedish cams from enem and KG. I always just assumed bulk, but I guess that's only part of it. Maybe they initially used the parkerizing process and switched later after a few people destroyed engines not changing the oil after run in?

I talked to Ken Pruett from IPD yesterday for about 30min about my issue's and concerns. He was interested but had no ideas to the cause. He told me they have not had any issues like this from IPD camshafts that he was aware of. I suppose I will setup this camshaft with some new used shims and hope the issue does not happen again. I kind of think the issue is related to the coating that was on the camshaft mostly because of the damage to the trailing edge of the shaft's lobes but I don't know how to prove that.

-Sam

I'll tell you right off, you're gonna be looking at the same issues with fresh shims I'd bet. I went looking for the pics of mine, looks like they are archived somewhere else.

Which means it could be any steel, since the definition of steel is iron+carbon.

What's weird is that the website and video show a coated cam, but the two I've purchased and installed were not coated at all. Just machined and ground.
You can also see an uncoated cam in the failure from leecatd8209 as well, but not discernable in the OPs pictures.

That's an interesting observation. I'm following to see where this goes.

Sam, maybe it's worth me picking up an IPD t cam to see if it'll have an issue. You know, for testing purposes.

I talked to Ken Pruett from IPD yesterday for about 30min about my issue's and concerns. He was interested but had no ideas to the cause. He told me they have not had any issues like this from IPD camshafts that he was aware of. I suppose I will setup this camshaft with some new used shims and hope the issue does not happen again. I kind of think the issue is related to the coating that was on the camshaft mostly because of the damage to the trailing edge of the shaft's lobes but I don't know how to prove that.

-Sam

doesn't sound like any help from them whatsoever. Did they offer to take it back and do any post-failure analysis? Do you have the resources to get the failed cam hardness tested?

Back