• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230+T5 3k rpm shake

The black car is a dog dish? Thought he went flat on that.

Really? Hmm.

We should dismantle it to learn its secrets.

Pretty sure people have stacked them before with no problems, niw did on his t56 iirc.

Look outside of the normal circle for adapters, kl and some other places in Sweden have reasonably priced adapters.

Asher did on his car. Don't the cool Swedish kids cut n shut diesel boxes these days?

Pretty sure people have stacked them before with no problems, niw did on his t56 iirc.

Look outside of the normal circle for adapters, kl and some other places in Sweden have reasonably priced adapters.

Most of their adapters end up using gearboxes we don't have easy access to, or are equally as old as the M46. BMW Getrag 260 boxes from plain jane E30s are useable...but again...not easily replaceable :(.

Nathan actually did a custom aluminum adapter for his setup, 5/8" thick instead of the 5/16" my adapters and the KL stuff is. Then he found out the pilot was not engaged enough into the crank. Seems like 5/16 would have worked well for his T56, but I've not found someone to test that theory yet. Also the T56 is a BIG box for that tunnel.

Has anyone here tried a newer t5 based trans or are these all "rebuilt" or worn out jy units

My T5 is from an early 90s Stang GT. In true TB fashion, mine was a C-list buy. No idea on how many miles, wasn't sure if I was getting ripped off or not.

But, deviating from the TB "jus' gon' send it" mentality, I had a trans shop check it out, and make sure it was gtg. It was...

Used the existing flywheel, and all the Yoshi bits for the swap...and I did the shortened 2-piece DS with all new U-joints.

It's still awesome and I still love it...if/when I go down this road again, I'll be following the same recipe...

I have a TR3650 with 2 adapter plates, the BNE shop to T5/tko adapter and hanlon TR3650 to TKO adapter. It makes some noise coasting down, I'm sure it's something I did it was a lot of work to make it fit. I'm also using 2 piece M47 driveshaft with different ends welded on.

My T5 is from an early 90s Stang GT. In true TB fashion, mine was a C-list buy. No idea on how many miles, wasn't sure if I was getting ripped off or not.

But, deviating from the TB "jus' gon' send it" mentality, I had a trans shop check it out, and make sure it was gtg. It was...

Used the existing flywheel, and all the Yoshi bits for the swap...and I did the shortened 2-piece DS with all new U-joints.

It's still awesome and I still love it...if/when I go down this road again, I'll be following the same recipe...

If you're happy with it that's all that matters at the end of the day! :)

Been following this thread for a while, and I don't believe this has been mentioned:

Has anybody experiencing these bad vibrations done a check of the bellhousing / adapter plate combo alignment, for runout?

Tremec specifies a maximum misalignment (runout) of 0.005" after all, so even a poofteenth of misalignment could, in theory, cause some sort of drama. Not as much as if the input shaft and spigot bearing were misaligned a whole smidgen and cause hard shifting, etc., but enough to make the input shaft rattle and pass the vibes down the mainshaft. Or the other way around, on the overrun.

Just a thought.

^^ fair points, but I'd wager that the majority of T5 swappers have not checked runout and those that have (Stiggy Pop? dbarton?) still had the rattle.

AFAIK, the annoying decel rattles of the T5 are the sounds in the videos below. Several members including myself have cured this by using the large 4cyl / Ranger slip yoke damper (F6ZZ-4841-BA). Suspicions are that this was an issue with the 4cyl Ford cars and is why the large slip yoke damper exists.

If there are strong vibrations felt through the seat, etc I would suspect driveshaft or pinion misalignment.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WcjU71iTPmo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3_lVlGC9H_A" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Been following this thread for a while, and I don't believe this has been mentioned:

Has anybody experiencing these bad vibrations done a check of the bellhousing / adapter plate combo alignment, for runout?

Tremec specifies a maximum misalignment (runout) of 0.005" after all, so even a poofteenth of misalignment could, in theory, cause some sort of drama. Not as much as if the input shaft and spigot bearing were misaligned a whole smidgen and cause hard shifting, etc., but enough to make the input shaft rattle and pass the vibes down the mainshaft. Or the other way around, on the overrun.

Just a thought.

I dont think bell housing alignment will cause a vibration. It certainly could cause your trans or engine to be ruined in short order but not a vibration.

I dont think bell housing alignment will cause a vibration. It certainly could cause your trans or engine to be ruined in short order but not a vibration.

This. It?ll also add wear to the input shaft that will be pretty noticeable, it can also make the trans not shift well.

I?m 50/50 on noisy t5s, which have had the bell housings checked for runout (1 silent, one noisy, same adapter setup).
I?ll have a 3rd one to add as a data point here in a bit as well.

Here's a couple views I found on the net. I never noticed that the trans crossmember has bushings separating it from the body.

33BFC6D0-BCCB-4C0B-98EB-A5522E84D549.jpeg

Some sort of NVH counterweight on the rear diff?
90D9A52D-4993-4F04-B11B-F54C043AC02E.jpeg

Maybe using the large damper with a 2pc trans crossmember would help?

Back