• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Helping out a Neighbor - 2001 S60 NA

Duder

Watch it man, there's a beverage here!
Nice lady down the street has a 2001 S60, an NA 5-cylinder she bought new and drives rarely. It has just over 70k miles. Since the pandemic started she hasn't driven it at all, so of course the battery died.

They replaced the old battery a few months ago but now the new one is dead so she asked me to take a look since I'm clearly the neighborhood's resident Volvo guy :)

I confirmed the battery was stone dead, showing 0.64 volts. I charged it with my smart charger at 15A for about 5 hours and it came back to life just fine (again, newer battery, less than 1 year old). It started up immediately and seems to run great.

I haven't ever worked on a P2 car and therefore don't know all the ins and outs.

They told me that the alarm was going off incessantly a few months ago, and wondered if that was the reason for the short battery life. I can definitely see the logic in that. The red alarm status light is flashing rapidly which they said isn't normal behavior either. What are the common alarm issues with these cars? I found something about the siren failing and causing issues, but I haven't dug into the system any deeper than that.

There's a slow coolant weep at the thermostat housing, looks like an easy fix. Owner said she smelled "something weird" inside the car too... I looked under the dash and saw clear coolant stains on the carpet near the center console / gas pedal area, so clearly there is also a leak at the heater core, or one of the hoses or the valve maybe.

The other bit of useful evidence here, beside the extended sitting and the alarm issues, was rodent droppings in the engine bay. I didn't see any evidence of chewed wiring but only did a cursory look.

Any links, resources, or tips would be appreciated, as I told the neighbors I would do some research and get back to them with a few hypotheses and maybe help them fix whatever the root cause of battery death is. Thanks!

There is a battery inside the alarm unit that goes bad and starts leaking. Possibly causing all sorts of electrical issues.

There is a battery inside the alarm unit that goes bad and starts leaking. Possibly causing all sorts of electrical issues.

Cool, thanks for confirming that. I think FCP Euro's site has an explainer page about that issue. I will check that out on the car.

It’s pretty common for P2 cars to have heater core leaks. I think it’s arranged a lot like an 850/70 where you can just pull the kick panel, disconnect the hoses, slide it out, and reverse to install the new one. I’m sure there’s a write up or YT vid out there somewhere showing the procedure.

It?s pretty common for P2 cars to have heater core leaks. I think it?s arranged a lot like an 850/70 where you can just pull the kick panel, disconnect the hoses, slide it out, and reverse to install the new one. I?m sure there?s a write up or YT vid out there somewhere showing the procedure.

Cool, that's good to know it's not a bad job. I might help her out and do that one too.

Use an amp meter to see if there is a battery drain and make sure the power off current draw is correct.

I did that a few days ago, saw 0.0A on the meter, but only later realized that I forgot to switch the positive lead connection to the other post on the meter. Will have to go back and do it again.

If anyone is interested in a ~70k mile NA 2001 S60, our neighbor lady is saying she wants to sell. I was able to get it running and charging last year but it hasn't been driven regularly since early 2020. I pulled the alarm fuse and it seemed like it stopped draining the battery. Also noticed a small coolant leak inside - probably heater core or heater hose. I'm sure it needs tires and probably brakes. But it's Jewish Racing Gold and has a clean body. Let me know if anyone wants photos - I'll walk down and snap some.

I think it?s arranged a lot like an 850/70 where you can just pull the kick panel, disconnect the hoses, slide it out, and reverse to install the new one.

Cool, that's good to know it's not a bad job. I might help her out and do that one too.

Alldata R&R 3.2 hours.

Apparently it's hiding behind a bunch of stuff. The steering column gets to come out, along with various other parts, switches, harnesses, etc.... Yay!

S60-heat.jpg

Back