• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Is it possible to install a supercharger on Kjet?

240kjet801

Hello guys,

I own a lovely volvo 240 that have a Kjet injection system and i absolutely love it. Im thinking of installing a small supercharger into it without any major modification. is it possible to do this?

The supercharger takes power to turn, if you can get it to generate boost with k-jet in the first place.

If I were you I would upgrade the engine to European B23E (242GT) specs, if more power is needed work the cylinder head and change camshaft, exhaust, inlet mods and that would be it, and roughly 180hp in a relatively light 240 would be more than enough for most people

Initially im planning to get a 940 turbo engine to fit to my 240. the only things that im worried is wiring harness. my b200e lost quite a HP throughout the years so currently its not usable for the modern traffic

Volvo made the 240turbo, it had Kjet injection. Turbo charging and supercharging are both a form of forced induction. The Kjet system needs to have a reference signal for when the engine is getting boosted air, that way it will start to inject the matching extra fuel.

I don't know it there is a difference between the Kjet system on your B200E and the Kjet on a B21ET in a 240turbo.
If both systems are the exact same you should be able to make the supercharger work.
If they are not the same maybe you can convert to the 240turbo Kjet system?

If you don't want a lot of modification. Your best bet is to use the turbo hardware that Volvo already made. If you want kjet turbo then you can approach it in two ways. The European B21ET which uses basic kjet non lambda. Boost enrichment is done via the control pressure regulator. Or the US version B21FT which uses a lambda sond system with a pressure switch for boost enrichment. Either way you can use Volvo parts for lots of the installation.

Making a supercharger work is cool but you will have to fabricate everything. Plus figure out how to have boost enrichment.

My kjet is without lambda and yes I will need WUR for a turbo kjet. the supercharger Im interested to install is a small AMR300 or Amr500 supercharger. it wont make a big boost i guess but if it can make my volvo accelerate faster with the lumpy auto tranny, that will do.

fabricating is another issue i guess. its a dilemma for me tho

The AMR500 moves 0.5L/revolution. I can't find the amount of air the 8V head flows, but the B234 is 240CFM or 6796 L/min. That means your SC needs to spin 13592 RPM to deliver stock amount of air. I think it can go to 16000RPM, but I have no idea of what its pressure or temperature maps look like. Rule of the thumb for roots supercharger is they are 50% efficient in average, worse for 2 lobe ones like this.

You will need to intercool it.

How much more air do you need to "make my volvo accelerate faster with the lumpy auto tranny?"

If you are going to get a 940 turbo engine, why not also get the exhaust and turbo?

The AMR500 moves 0.5L/revolution. I can't find the amount of air the 8V head flows, but the B234 is 240CFM or 6796 L/min. That means your SC needs to spin 13592 RPM to deliver stock amount of air. I think it can go to 16000RPM, but I have no idea of what its pressure or temperature maps look like. Rule of the thumb for roots supercharger is they are 50% efficient in average, worse for 2 lobe ones like this.

You will need to intercool it.

How much more air do you need to "make my volvo accelerate faster with the lumpy auto tranny?"

If you are going to get a 940 turbo engine, why not also get the exhaust and turbo?

I cant answer how much air do I need, but as long as it can accelerate and keep with the traffic.
I have concerns with SC fan belt routing as i have 3 essentials accessories on my engine, power steering, ac compressor and alternator.
I was one on youtube, A volvo 740 fitted with supercharger and makes a good torque
volvo 940 turbo engine is my second option with Im looking into it currently.

The 740 on youtube uses a larger supercharger. For reference

For a turbo, if you find an exhaust manifold off a turbo 700/900 you are in business; look at the +T threads here

Last edited:
Back