• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Distributor resealing-If you cant get the pin out, then what?

MDDave

Trying to fix a leaking seal at my distributor on my 1994 940 turbo. Have all the seals but of course can't get through the first step of driving out the pin. Have the distributor set up in a vice, a great set of punches and a selection of hammers but the darn thing won't move. Have tried freeze spray, heating it in the ultrasonic cleaner, getting mad at it. Not budging.

Can this be done somehow on a press?

Do I just buy a cheap aftermarket distributor and throw away the cap and rotor and put on Bosch units? Or do I live with a oil leak from the shaft getting on $100 worth of new Bosch ignition components?

I used an air hammer to knock out the pin on mine, that was the only thing that got the damn thing out.

I made a holding tool similar to the one in the picture from the Brickboard FAQ.
Although the pin was really hard to get out initially, the tool made it quite a bit easier.
Just an idea.

ShaftSeal1.gif

ShaftSeal3.gif

https://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900/VolvoB230ShaftSeal/DistributorShaftSeal.htm

Do I just buy a cheap aftermarket distributor and throw away the cap and rotor and put on Bosch units? Or do I live with a oil leak from the shaft getting on $100 worth of new Bosch ignition components?

I tried that route, the key on the distributor was put on 180 degrees off. So to fix, you had to remove the pin and rotate it. So if you do get the pin out, make sure you put it back together in the same orientation.

IPD and Baum tools used to sell that same tool. It was cheap at like $15. If I owned a head mounted distributor car I'd be sure to make or buy that tool.

Good advice on the tool, though I had it set pretty well in my vice. If anything the problem I had was the punch just skipped off the pin, seemed hard to get a completely square hit.

Machine shop is a good idea!

Back