• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

white walls for a 142

Christopher B

Hi all,
First time forumer, long time volvo fancier.
I'm currently getting my 1971 142 restored and road worthy.
I am trying to hunt down some white wall tyres for it.
Three tyre size I've been given is 205/65R15.
Can anyone help?

OG tire size should be 165/80r15, AKA 165r15

Something tells me RWC is gonna pipe up and tell you that you'll need the special wide 1975 164 wheels to run 205 width tires

I got 165r15 XZX tires put on my 1971 145. Made by coker/michelin.

And if you're 'restoring' your 1971, white walls would be incorrect. The XZX is the factory equipped tire for the 1971 140

:wave:

OG tire size should be 165/80r15, AKA 165r15

Something tells me RWC is gonna pipe up and tell you that you'll need the special wide 1975 164 wheels to run 205 width tires

I got 165r15 XZX tires put on my 1971 145. Made by coker/michelin.

And if you're 'restoring' your 1971, white walls would be incorrect. The XZX is the factory equipped tire for the 1971 140

But then the offset would be incorrect, might as well use 6" wide 700-900 steel wheels that you can actually find if you're going 25et.

Whitewalls went out on foreign cars about the time of the 544, so they're not really a 'restoration' item for 140s anyway.

OIP.qWXziQceOVNpuS9w_f4GgQHaFj

Google can totally help. Coker makes a ton of whitewall tires, may be the main supplier of them. Hankook makes some.

Not sure your location but this is what I'm going to put on my Cadillac:
https://dbtires.com/

They take new tires with modern designs and vulcanize white walls onto them. You can choose white wall size, style, etc. Since they start with a modern tire you can get a million sizes, they do up to 22". They make more classic looking stuff too, but they do not sell a bias ply. Most people just want the look of a white wall with the ride of a radial anyways.

I've ran portawalls before and they're fine, but I have had them fly off at random before. You have to be really picky when installing them and sometimes they still fly off.

Last edited:
Back