home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 02-26-2021, 12:08 PM   #26
v8volvo
Board Member

Right, none of us are here and doing this crap because it makes any sense. Good points yeah.

That said, I can also agree with the idea that there are smarter and less smart ways to approach things as was well argued by others above.

But part of the fun is that everyone wants something different right? I think John's point earlier about cheapest/best practice routes to 250hp for example was referring to the simple mods on an 8v 2.3L turbo that can achieve that power level. But maybe you want to gain refinement too, or something weird, or sentimental, whatever. The goal cannot always be reduced to something as narrow as a target HP number at the lowest cost. One guy saying they want 250 thrilling hp coming out of a howling turbo four and another guy wanting 250 silent and relaxed hp out of a mild tuned Detroit V8 are totally different goals, where the power level is just a coincidental similarity. Each will enjoy their own outcome. There's not a "right" or "wrong" way, it's not a "solved problem", at least IMO.

I remember years ago someone put a Lexus 4.0L V8 and automatic out of an LS400 into a 240 or 740 here (can't remember which). Not much displacement, not really that much power, big bulky heavy DOHC motor, complex, no off the shelf solutions for it at all, tons of work for definitely less HP than he could have had. Objectively he "should have" used an LS or a 5.0 or put a big turbo on a redblock. But it was what he wanted and he wasn't wrong. I feel the same way when I see guys putting Chrysler 318 or 360 motors in these too. First thought is "why?" when it's so much easier with well developed Ford or GM alternatives. But maybe they just have a thing for the Chrysler motor.

Doesn't matter, IMO as long as it's fun it's OK. Rant over, I just get weary of reading the off-topic comments in people's threads about their non-LS swaps suggesting anything but LS is just a waste of time. Hey, I don't know what you want, you don't know what I want.
01 Audi Allroad 6MT 2.7TT

Last edited by v8volvo; 02-26-2021 at 12:18 PM..
v8volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:59 PM   #27
740atl
educator monkey

I totally agree....

what's funny is that I definitely remember once telling a Tb member NOT to install a 1uzfe in a 240 because they didn't make that much power....even though I still secretly lust after the motor especially after seeing other people (skidfactory) turbocharge the crap out of them.

1gzfe anyone?
740atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:01 AM   #28
Fred Gwynne
Board Member

http://https://www.briggsracing.com/racing-engines/raptor

I've always dug those Briggs and Stratton Raptor motors...

Last edited by Fred Gwynne; 03-03-2021 at 01:22 PM..
Fred Gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:54 AM   #29
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4qnl19axAU

Given the main complaints I have about my B230, this is enough reason to want a Lexus V8. Not everything is about power level.
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:07 PM   #30
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Lexus V8's are cheap and available in the junkyards too. Because any car that has one almost never needs a replacement.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:39 PM   #31
swedishiron.com
I sell Volvo parts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Lexus V8's are cheap and available in the junkyards too. Because any car that has one almost never needs a replacement.
What's the reason that you'd find a Lexus with a V8 in the junkyard?

I don't know enough about these cars to know why they are there...versus Subarus, which are almost always there due to head gaskets or automatic transmission failures.

I ship small packages/purchases on Fridays, and larger ticket items via FedEx in the middle of the week.
swedishiron.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:44 PM   #32
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Unlike the rows of pretty unwrecked GM and Chrysler FWD's, the big V8 Lexus' I see in the PnP style yards usually have been wrecked. When they have 150 - 200K miles and get thumped, they're going to get totalled.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:41 PM   #33
patrickstar
Board Member

It's also become easier recently to adapt a manual transmission to the 1UZ, using adapter kits for the AR5 transmission. I'd love to see them become more popular swaps in the US

@beige242 on instagram
patrickstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:38 PM   #34
JohnMc
PV Abuser

If the 3.4 V6 in my 4Runner ever wears out (lol, not likely) I'd consider a 1UZ swap. Adapters exist for my manual trans: https://xatracing.com/1UZ-to-R154-Adapter-Kit.html
Old 03-04-2021, 03:38 PM   #35
shoestring
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Doesn't matter, IMO as long as it's fun it's OK.
Bingo.
I AM THE MODAL AMERICAN. Planet money #936.
shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:21 PM   #36
wolf_walker
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishiron.com View Post
What's the reason that you'd find a Lexus with a V8 in the junkyard?

I don't know enough about these cars to know why they are there...versus Subarus, which are almost always there due to head gaskets or automatic transmission failures.

because the 14th baller owner drifted it into a curb one too many times or the babymamma took a hammer to it? Other than needing timing done now and then I don't think they really crap out much, they were very nice when new, haven't driven one since back then. Wouldn't kick that motor out of bed, I assumed anything v8 and OHC would be too wide.